Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Educational Requirements for Buffalo School Board Members

Educational Requirements for Buffalo School Board Members

Just learned, and was shocked to hear, that the educational requirement for becoming a Board Member is that the member be able to read and write. Not even a HS GED is required.

Does anyone else think this is ironic?

Yup.
    --------
    http://www.buffaloreuse.org/~kool aid free zone~

Absolutely not!!! All it takes to be a good manager or director is a good heart, common sense, and the ability to coordinate and implement interdependence amongst subordinates. Schools, colleges, and universities dont and cant teach that!!!

There is a difference between educated and intelligent, and the only result I have ever wittnessed of people I know who sought degrees is that they came out of school dumber than they were before they went in.

Quote Originally Posted by MERL J
    Just learned, and was shocked to hear, that the educational requirement for becoming a Board Member is that the member be able to read and write. Not even a HS GED is required.

Does anyone else think this is ironic?
    It would be almost comical if it wasn't so sad.

My follow up question to that little tidbit of info would be, "I wonder what the educational level is for the members of the school board currently and members we've had in the past 5-6 years?"
    1 Corinthians 13:1 "If I speak in the languages of men and of angels, but have not love, I am only a resounding gong or a clanging cymbal."

apparently the "dummies" on the school board are the only ones smart enough to recognize a coverup when they see one (McKinley scandal).

All the big brained admin over there are covering up for a guy who has a history of having sex with his students (allegedly) dating back to his time down in SC.

This clown got fired from his last job at Niagara U for (among other things) having sex with students. At least they were college students, and not 17 year old girls.

Just read the newspaper. People who are innocent of things like that do not have such a long record of similar claims against them. This guy has been accused of this (directly or indirectly) in THREE different school settings that we know of.
    The truth from a troll is still the truth.

Quote Originally Posted by Bannister

My follow up question to that little tidbit of info would be, "I wonder what the educational level is for the members of the school board currently and members we've had in the past 5-6 years?"
    Unfortunately, it has been this way for some time.

when you look at this whole McKinley saga, you have to stand in AWE of the audacity of some of these people.

Barton is demanding an APOLOGY?

The way I see it, a guy with a history of having sexual relationships with his students was seen coming out of a student's house, and was questioned about it, and DID NOT like it at all.

Makes you wonder if the fired coach was correct in her assumptions.......

it's always nice to see people close ranks around criminals.

Why do you think Barton is so ticked off about the state probe? (although talk about irony: the STATE probing another entity for illegal/unethical activities).

The entire system in Buffalo is so corrupt and self-serving that it is doubtful this area can ever stem the losses in people and businesses.

Things like this go on every day here, and as long as you are a friend of the powerful, you escape all accountability.

Those are the requirements for most if not all school boards. I am not sure, but the State may regulate the requirements.

Quote Originally Posted by Bannister

Being educated by an already corrupt and bureaucratic SYSTEM does not necessarily instill the proper principles and ethics required to produce responsible and productive adults.

The kids are conditioned by adults who have already been dumbed down!

Quote Originally Posted by crabapples
    Those are the requirements for most if not all school boards. I am not sure, but the State may regulate the requirements.
    The requirements are based on the idea that public schools should be governed as democratic rather than elitist institutions, and that the people supporting the schools with their tax money and/or have children attending the schools have the right to govern them through the BOEs, whether they have college degrees or not. I also believe that there are no educational requirements for running for any political office in NYS with the possible exception of judges, either, and it also comes from the same non-elitist mind set.

I have no problem with the lack of educational requirements since even a prestigious Ivy League degree isn't a guarantee against stupidity in public office.

Hear No Evil, Speak No Evil...see No Evil

[QUOTE=MERL J]Just learned, and was shocked to hear, that the educational requirement for becoming a Board Member is that the member be able to read and write. Not even a HS GED is required.

WHY???? DOES IT SHOW??

Quote Originally Posted by Linda_D
    The requirements are based on the idea that public schools should be governed as democratic rather than elitist institutions, and that the people supporting the schools with their tax money and/or have children attending the schools have the right to govern them through the BOEs, whether they have college degrees or not. I also believe that there are no educational requirements for running for any political office in NYS with the possible exception of judges, either, and it also comes from the same non-elitist mind set.

I have no problem with the lack of educational requirements since even a prestigious Ivy League degree isn't a guarantee against stupidity in public office.
    I never said I had a problem with it. Someone commented that the City of Buffalo BOE doesnt have an educational standard. I simply said that I thought most, if not all, school boards dont require formal education. I believe it is something the State set some time ago.

Quote Originally Posted by crabapples
    I never said I had a problem with it. Someone commented that the City of Buffalo BOE doesnt have an educational standard. I simply said that I thought most, if not all, school boards dont require formal education. I believe it is something the State set some time ago.
    I wasn't criticizing you or anything like that. I was simply adding some info about why the requirements are like they are and making the observation that a degree from a top notch college doesn't necessarily make a good public official as witness both our former governor and our current President among many, many others.

Quote Originally Posted by Linda_D
    I wasn't criticizing you or anything like that. I was simply adding some info about why the requirements are like they are and making the observation that a degree from a top notch college doesn't necessarily make a good public official as witness both our former governor and our current President among many, many others.
    Oh ok. I agree.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information