Thread: Status of Pavement Road police/courts building

Status of Pavement Road police/courts building

At Monday evening's Town Boiard meeting, Councilman Ronald Ruffino reported that as in the past, conversations are taking place between the town and Foit Albert (architectural designer) on the plans for the police/courts building, and that they are near the approval stage. The two-story building footprint of 29,000 square feet has been reduced to 26,700 square feet.

“This will provide a greater buffer, yet fulfills our need,” declared Ruffino. “Acceptance of the plans is close. Once that takes place, building will commence.

Resident Mike Fronczak addressed the board and asked whether the police station would be a two-story design. Councilman Ruffino answered that it would be a two-story building.

Fronczak asked whether it was going to have a high-speed elevator, like the one installed in Town Hall. He was told that as it would be a two-story building an elevator would be installed.

Commenting that he thought the town had so much land available at the site, Fronczak asked why a two-story building concept was being considered. He was told that there was a building nearby, owned by the town and leased to a psyche clinic that pays a lot of money. “It services the community, does a good job and we don’t want to interfere with its operation,” declared Supervisor Giza.

Fronczak asked whether the contract with the clinic was long-standing or whether the building could be torn down and used by the town. Supervisor Giza told him the contract was binding for the near future, but that nothing was forever.

At this time, Ruffino chastised Fronczak for always coming before the board and being negative. “You never have anything good to say about the town, Mike. You complain about everything. Now you complain about the elevator and its cost.”

Fronczak responded: “What you say or think is irrelevant. I am a taxpayer and have a right to speak on how my money is being spent. The installation of an elevator is going to cost the other taxpayers and me more money.

After Fronczak spoke, Ruffino added that regarding the cost associated with the elevator, the foundation of the public safety meeting must meet code and it’s very expensive to meet such requirement. "So we are saving money when we go from a one-story to a two-story building."

After the meeting, Fronczak and another individual were discussing the foundation requirement needs and costs between a one and two story building. “Wouldn’t a two-story building foundation require much more in material costs to meet load bearing strength requirements.

Quote Originally Posted by Lee Chowaniec View Post
    At Monday evening's Town Boiard meeting, Councilman Ronald Ruffino reported that as in the past, conversations are taking place between the town and Foit Albert (architectural designer) on the plans for the police/courts building, and that they are near the approval stage. The two-story building footprint of 29,000 square feet has been reduced to 26,700 square feet.

“This will provide a greater buffer, yet fulfills our need,” declared Ruffino. “Acceptance of the plans is close. Once that takes place, building will commence.

Resident Mike Fronczak addressed the board and asked whether the police station would be a two-story design. Councilman Ruffino answered that it would be a two-story building.

Fronczak asked whether it was going to have a high-speed elevator, like the one installed in Town Hall. He was told that as it would be a two-story building an elevator would be installed.

Commenting that he thought the town had so much land available at the site, Fronczak asked why a two-story building concept was being considered. He was told that there was a building nearby, owned by the town and leased to a psyche clinic that pays a lot of money. “It services the community, does a good job and we don’t want to interfere with its operation,” declared Supervisor Giza.

Fronczak asked whether the contract with the clinic was long-standing or whether the building could be torn down and used by the town. Supervisor Giza told him the contract was binding for the near future, but that nothing was forever.

At this time, Ruffino chastised Fronczak for always coming before the board and being negative. “You never have anything good to say about the town, Mike. You complain about everything. Now you complain about the elevator and its cost.”

Fronczak responded: “What you say or think is irrelevant. I am a taxpayer and have a right to speak on how my money is being spent. The installation of an elevator is going to cost the other taxpayers and me more money.

After Fronczak spoke, Ruffino added that regarding the cost associated with the elevator, the foundation of the public safety meeting must meet code and it’s very expensive to meet such requirement. "So we are saving money when we go from a one-story to a two-story building."

After the meeting, Fronczak and another individual were discussing the foundation requirement needs and costs between a one and two story building. “Wouldn’t a two-story building foundation require much more in material costs to meet load bearing strength requirements.
    Good question to ask Lee, but I have heard that going up is cheaper than going out. I don't know why, it is due process that resident's should continue to question, inquire and request information regarding how their money is spent. Fronczak is actually asking the question many residents would want to ask, but choose to stay home figuring someone else is handling it.

Once again Ruffino acts immature showing his lack of ability to function as a "public servant." His mouth continues to get him into trouble because he cannot handle when someone is more inquisitive than himself. I give Fronczak much credit as well as you Lee ~~ standing up for the resident's of Lancaster.

Originally posted by shortstuff:
    Good question to ask Lee, but I have heard that going up is cheaper than going out.
    I thought that , too. Like if this two story police facility was 13,000 sq ft each on the first and second floor, it would require a 13,000 sq ft foundation. While as a one story wouldn't the foundation have to be 26,000 sq ft which would mean more concrete. I guess, I never thought the extra weight of an additional story on the foundation

Georgia L Schlager

Tony Fracasso - Admin
    Why can't they just do a large steel frame building and cubicles except for where the bad people have to go? Why must it be "designed" special? Or building something that Benderson would basically build this way it matches with the rest of the town?

Quote Originally Posted by gorja View Post
    I thought that , too. Like if this two story police facility was 13,000 sq ft each on the first and second floor, it would require a 13,000 sq ft foundation. While as a one story wouldn't the foundation have to be 26,000 sq ft which would mean more concrete. I guess, I never thought the extra weight of an additional story on the foundation
    My understanding is that for weight bearing reasons more concrete and stabilizing materials would have to be used in going up. For instance, whereas you may have foundation footer walls three feet wide in a single story building, you would need five-foot wide footer walls in a two-story. And with the added cost of an elevator in the two-story building, which design is less costly?

Considering Mr. Ruffino told Mike Fronczak that the town is reviewing all avenues to save the taxpayers money (really, $14 million and counting), Fronczak should not be admonished for doing likewise.

Fronczak was civil in asking his questions and commenting on the viability of the state psyche center. The building is in no better shape that the current police building and no information was provided on the length of the lease contract.

I agree with Fronczak’s position when he states, “They are spending my money and I have a right to question how and why.”

BTW - What will the second story be used for that an elevator is required?

Quote Originally Posted by Lee Chowaniec View Post
    My understanding is that for weight bearing reasons more concrete and stabilizing materials would have to be used in going up. For instance, whereas you may have foundation footer walls three feet wide in a single story building, you would need five-foot wide footer walls in a two-story. And with the added cost of an elevator in the two-story building, which design is less costly?

Considering Mr. Ruffino told Mike Fronczak that the town is reviewing all avenues to save the taxpayers money (really, $14 million and counting), Fronczak should not be admonished for doing likewise.

Fronczak was civil in asking his questions and commenting on the viability of the state psyche center. The building is in no better shape that the current police building and no information was provided on the length of the lease contract.

I agree with Fronczak’s position when he states, “They are spending my money and I have a right to question how and why.”

BTW - What will the second story be used for that an elevator is required?
    Thanks Lee for the explanation. The elevator may be a requirement of the ADA. If there were things on the second floor and they had a disabled secretary in a wheel chair, he/she would need access via the elevator. just guessing. I also agree with Mr Fronczak. How do you get answers if you don't ask questions?

Georgia L Schlager

Thread Information