Thread: Missing Cheektowaga Police Shotgun

Missing Cheektowaga Police Shotgun

"Missing Cheektowaga Police Shotgun Found:

Cheektowaga Police have reported that a missing shotgun has been secured. Police say it was returned late Friday night by a resident who claims his daughter found it in the Pine Ridge - Delevan area. They say the case was scratched and dented, which leads them to believe it fell out of the trunk.

They have also said the trunk was not properly latched during the officers' shift.

The loaded gun was discovered missing from the trunk of a patrol car by two officers who ended their shift at midnight Thursday.

Police officials explain what appears to have happened.

"Initial indication it was caused by a malfunction, or the trunk lid was left open without the officers noticing," says Cheektowaga Police Lieutenant Jim Speyer.

Dozens of police officers, volunteer firefighters, sanitation workers and other town employees assisted in the search."

Couple things to point out:
    - The gun was discovered missing when the two officers ended their shift.
    - Cheektowaga police said the trunk was not properly latched during the officers' shift.
    - "Initial indication it was caused by a malfunction, or the trunk lid was left open without the officers noticing,"

Ok so in other words the two officers failed to properly secure their equipment / latch their trunk, resulting in their gun falling out sometime durring their shift and they didnt notice their trunk was open?

Would a shotgun just bounce out of a trunk?
    What kind of malfunction could happen leading to a shotgun falling out of the trunk?
    Wouldnt an officer notice their trunk being open and when closing it check the contents?
    If it was closed but not latched wouldnt the officers notice the trunk lid flapping arround over bumps?
    A leprachaun could have jumped in an ran off with it for all I know but something dosnt sound right. Suppose it's better to have fallen out now then tomorrow with all the drunks running arround the hearthstone and the trunk can get fixed.

Bet this is going to get swept under the rug... Imagine if it got into the wrong hands and was used against them. thank god the the civilian who found it, quickly turned it into the police before it got into the wrong hands. I'd be sure to notice and freek out if the trunk opened with groceries in the back, but a shotgun????
    Last edited by GG716; March 23rd, 2008 at 07:54 PM.

Tony Fracasso - Admin
    Dozens of police officers, volunteer firefighters, sanitation workers and other town employees assisted in the search."
    Overtime?

Quote Originally Posted by WNYresident
    Overtime?
    LOL volunteer firefighters dont get overtime, sanitation and other depts. would have allready been working and asked to BOLO for it. Not part of thier job description but sometimes you do more then required. LOL
    Paying a few officers OT would have been justified tho it souldnt have happened in the first place. Now I don't know if it's procedure to check the trunk when noticing it open or not. Common sence would tell you to check.

How does a trunk open and a gun case fall out . It's a good thing someone found the gun because the neighborhood is not one of the best. Lets just say it is a part a town the town has no use for.

Boy, if there was ever a Simpsons moment

it was only a shotgun

you can buy that gun over the counter for 400 at any store. It may have popped out, but I'm guessing someone stole it. The guys were at a call, someone walked by, noticed the trunk not latched, and grabbed it quick. Takes balls, but thats probably what happened. I can't imagine the heat BPD would have caught if it were our guys, though ours are secured differently, I'll leave it at that. I don't care too much about it, had it been an MP5 or a handgun maybe, but shotguns are a dime a dozen. I'll bet those guys will opt out of taking a shotgun down the road, not much good to ya in the trunk anyway. Do you guys think they should be fired ? I don't think anything should happen to them. Check the trunk latch in the future.

Quote Originally Posted by Deerhunter
    you can buy that gun over the counter for 400 at any store. It may have popped out, but I'm guessing someone stole it. The guys were at a call, someone walked by, noticed the trunk not latched, and grabbed it quick. Takes balls, but thats probably what happened. I can't imagine the heat BPD would have caught if it were our guys, though ours are secured differently, I'll leave it at that. I don't care too much about it, had it been an MP5 or a handgun maybe, but shotguns are a dime a dozen. I'll bet those guys will opt out of taking a shotgun down the road, not much good to ya in the trunk anyway. Do you guys think they should be fired ? I don't think anything should happen to them. Check the trunk latch in the future.
    I want to know what they were doing when the gun was stolen. If Mahoney and Hightower were out screwing around, at Dickie's, or sitting at home, they should be canned.
    I am so omniscient - if there were to be two omnisciences, I would be both.

Tony Fracasso - Admin
    Quote Originally Posted by Deerhunter
    No reason to get fired if it was just an accident.

If they are not following procedure and it finally caught up with them well that's different story. I'm surprized it's not on a lockable rack in the trunk though.

What would have happened to the gun if this happened to just a hunter? Stopped at the corner store, trunk accidently not shut and someone steals it.

They would file a report for a stolen gun and then what? Do they get into trouble for being careless or is it just a stolen product?

just stolen

thats all, it does happen, usually from houses obviously. Had they left it on the seat of the open car, and somebody was killed, then there would be negligence and they would probably be in some trouble. Glad it didn't play out like that.

Any follow up on this one - anyone know whose gun it was (someone new to the force - inexperienced??) or how the gun "bounced out" of the car? Was the lock broke on the car..... I haven't heard any explanation other than they found the gun and then all was quiet. Just curious.

Unregistered
    Quote Originally Posted by Katie48
    Any follow up on this one - anyone know whose gun it was (someone new to the force - inexperienced??) or how the gun "bounced out" of the car? Was the lock broke on the car..... I haven't heard any explanation other than they found the gun and then all was quiet. Just curious.
    Suburban police departments are very good at covering-up their internal issues. When they want a problem to go away, it usually does.

Had this happened in the City of Buffalo, you can be assured that it would've never been swept under the rug.

Quote Originally Posted by Surfing USA
    Suburban police departments are very good at covering-up their internal issues. When they want a problem to go away, it usually does.

Had this happened in the City of Buffalo, you can be assured that it would've never been swept under the rug.
    Thats not true. There are many things that get swept under the rug in the Buffalo PD. We hear a lot of stories about things that occur, but they have a much larger force and so they have many more incidents that can be reported. Plus, I also think there are a lot of politics in the BPD compared to suburban PDs which leads to leaking of information to the media.

Thread Information