Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Erie County lost 5,001 residents last year

Quote Originally Posted by keyboard150
    Well, that won't change until the people demand it.

How the hell are the people going to change it? Their are more of you free cheesers then their are free thinkers. When the people have had enough you wont like what comes your way.Think about that,desperate people do desperate things. You people keep poking the dog with the stick and he is going to rip your arms off. It wont happen in my life but it will happen,I guarantee it.

Well, that won't change until the people demand it.
    Exactly my point about critical mass. There are so many gov't, union, both active and retired that continue to suckle off the public pig, they have the numbers to continue to vote in these same old politicians who have been voting all these years for government giveaways.

The rest of us taxpayers are screwed. People keep whining about losing their kids to other areas but they don't want to face up to reality and give up some of their own benefits and pensions. Yes I'm talking about cops, teachers, firemen, and the rest of the government bunch (you know, the entitlement crew).
    It's not enough that we do our best; sometimes we have to do what's required. (Sir Winston Churchill)

Quote Originally Posted by bflonum1fan
    Exactly my point about critical mass. There are so many gov't, union, both active and retired that continue to suckle off the public pig, they have the numbers to continue to vote in these same old politicians who have been voting all these years for government giveaways.

The rest of us taxpayers are screwed. People keep whining about losing their kids to other areas but they don't want to face up to reality and give up some of their own benefits and pensions. Yes I'm talking about cops, teachers, firemen, and the rest of the government bunch (you know, the entitlement crew).
    I don't think I necessarily agree with that. I think there are still more people out there that don't work for the government, but they aren't voting.
    The key is to get them to the voting booth.
    I'm a teacher, I don't feel I'm entitled to anything. However, I do expect to be compensated for the work I do, as well. The current Buffalo teachers contract is way too costly for the city, it needs to be fixed.
    I don't think it's fair to group everyone together as being in the "entitlement" crew.
    http://www.buffaloreuse.org/~kool aid free zone~

Business First lists the 100 largest employers in WNY. Notably at numbers 1, 2 and 3 are the State of NY, US Government and Erie County. A bit further down the list are City of Buffalo, Buffalo School District (listed separately from Bflo). The only manufacturing in the top 10 is Delphi, and last I checked they weren't doing so well.

Yes we certainly do need good teachers and with keyboard even admitting that the BFT needs a restructured contract is promising. I have read (or heard, can't remember) that the BPS pays more for pensions than for salaries. That clown Rumore who runs the teacher's union is a big part of the problem. When is the rank and file going to dump him ? He is one of the biggest negative influences in Erie County. Let him take his pension and move to Florida like the rest of those losers.
    It's not enough that we do our best; sometimes we have to do what's required. (Sir Winston Churchill)

Business First lists the 100 largest employers in WNY. Notably at numbers 1, 2 and 3 are the State of NY, US Government and Erie County. A bit further down the list are City of Buffalo, Buffalo School District (listed separately from Bflo). The only manufacturing in the top 10 is Delphi, and last I checked they weren't doing so well.

Yes we certainly do need good teachers and with keyboard even admitting that the BFT needs a restructured contract is promising. I have read (or heard, can't remember) that the BPS pays more for pensions than for salaries. That clown Rumore who runs the teacher's union is a big part of the problem. When is the rank and file going to dump him ? He is one of the biggest negative influences in Erie County. Let him take his pension and move to Florida like the rest of those losers.
    90% of the teachers I have met since I started teaching in Buffalo 5 years ago agree that Rumore has to go.
    However, there is a lot of fear among teachers about saying anything. The union is very strong, and very good at manipulating its membership, especially the underrepresented younger membership like myself.
    Rumore is all about getting the perks for the older teachers and retirees, he could give a damn about the majority of teachers that are actually still working.
    Nobody wants to run against him out of fear.

Unregistered

Total City pension funds leaving City? County?

It would be helpful to know the totals of city pension funds paid to retirees living outside the city (or outside the county? state?).

That is a huge amount that could stimulate the struggling cash & housing economies of the 2nd poorest & 2nd "most vacant".

Pension reform is obviously necessary to Bflo's & NYS's recovery. For example, a mechanism was proposed several years ago that the city place a 'surcharge' on pensions paid to retirees living elsewhere. Is anybody familiar with how it is done elsewhere?

Currently, former city employees can collect city pensions while holding new jobs elsewhere. For example, former BMHA ED Sharon West is apparently collecting a $50K city pension while holding a new HUD-funded $90K "poverty professional" job in Florida.

Ironically, she still owns her former home in Bennett Village Terrace (BVT) which she purchased 'new' for $50K in 1988. It is in a struggling complex of 84 townhouses next to former Central Park Plaza shopping center. The oft-foreclosed units are now assessed at $20K.

Yesterday a $13K sale deed was filed for #7 BVT . . as Sharon West's BVT unit should be worth $90K based on inflation alone.

Recent census etimates of loss of 5001 persons from Erie County over the most recent year counted likely translate to a 2500 loss in Bflo alone.

Assuming Bflo's average household of 2.5 persons, that added 1000 more Bflo vacant units in the past year alone. Meanwhile there is a frenzy of heavily taxpayer-subsidized new housing everywhere.

Same old, same old is not working!

Quote Originally Posted by keyboard150
    90% of the teachers I have met since I started teaching in Buffalo 5 years ago agree that Rumore has to go.
    However, there is a lot of fear among teachers about saying anything. The union is very strong, and very good at manipulating its membership, especially the underrepresented younger membership like myself.
    Rumore is all about getting the perks for the older teachers and retirees, he could give a damn about the majority of teachers that are actually still working.
    It must suck to be you.A union member afraid of the man. Why dont a few of you take him for a little walk,Gee he fell down the stairs. I have not or ever will work for a Union Company,I would be in jail on battery charges.

Most of us have already figured this out. It's exactly why unions around here are so despised (the fear factor). I don't need to tell anyone that unions are supposed to represent the views of the multitude, but apparently they do not. What would happen if a few of the younger teachers rose up in protest ? Would you fear for your jobs ? Would you get support from the Bflo News ? Also, are retirees still in the union ? If so, that seems wrong. Also, taking pensions out of the area should be taxed heavily.

Somebody has to make a statement it seems, and outsiders cannot do it.

Most of us have already figured this out. It's exactly why unions around here are so despised (the fear factor). I don't need to tell anyone that unions are supposed to represent the views of the multitude, but apparently they do not. What would happen if a few of the younger teachers rose up in protest ? Would you fear for your jobs ? Would you get support from the Bflo News ? Also, are retirees still in the union ? If so, that seems wrong. Also, taking pensions out of the area should be taxed heavily.

Somebody has to make a statement it seems, and outsiders cannot do it.
    Rumore will eventually be gone. That's the only hope I have.
    Younger teacher will not stand up...because yes, they do fear for their jobs. I'm tenured, so I don't have as much to fear, however, I would never have any support from the union if needed, and they would make my life miserable.
    The news? Doubtful. It seems to be a union loving paper.
    And yes....retirees are still in the union.
    And taxing pensions, that might be a good idea, but I don't think it's legal. Retirees do have the right to go elsewhere.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread Information