Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: No Drug Counselors....for now!

No Drug Counselors....for now!

http://www.buffalonews.com/cityregion/story/301242.html

This is a very interesting situation. A lot of people are going to disagree with Collins on this one, but I completely understand where he is coming from, and I applaud him.
    This is the kind of thing that is going to save Erie County. I like this guy. He asks questions, demands answers.

1.4 Million dollars for a new program cant just be given to Erie County without assurances that it won't cost us more than that in the long run. I like this guy. He's smart and doesn't just take things because they are offered like every other politician in this area. He sees the BIG PICTURE, not the little one.

What are your thoughts on this? I think he's right. The county already does have drug counselors. It's been proven that drug prevention programs don't work, so why spend the money on something that won't? Instead, find another way.
    This county doesnt need "new" programs right now. In fact, it needs to jettison many of its "old" ones. Hopefully one of his goals in the near future is to start figuring out what programs are wasteful and start cutting them.

Then our budget wouldn't be so bloated.
    Then there would be money to spend.
    Then maybe taxes could drop.
    Then maybe more business will move in.
    Then maybe we'll have a stronger tax base.
    Then maybe we can build some cool stuff we've been wanting.
    Then maybe Buffalo can shed it's poor image.
    Then maybe we'll be happy.
    Then maybe we'll be "TALKIN' PROUD" (sorry)

Then maybe I'll shut up.
    http://www.buffaloreuse.org/~kool aid free zone~

Quote Originally Posted by keyboard150

This is a very interesting situation. A lot of people are going to disagree with Collins on this one, but I completely understand where he is coming from, and I applaud him.
    This is the kind of thing that is going to save Erie County. I like this guy. He asks questions, demands answers.

1.4 Million dollars for a new program cant just be given to Erie County without assurances that it won't cost us more than that in the long run. I like this guy. He's smart and doesn't just take things because they are offered like every other politician in this area. He sees the BIG PICTURE, not the little one.

What are your thoughts on this? I think he's right. The county already does have drug counselors. It's been proven that drug prevention programs don't work, so why spend the money on something that won't? Instead, find another way.
    This county doesnt need "new" programs right now. In fact, it needs to jettison many of its "old" ones. Hopefully one of his goals in the near future is to start figuring out what programs are wasteful and start cutting them.

Then maybe I'll shut up.

This was a great move,he was right when he said you can hire em but when the money runs out you cant get rid of em. We all know how these public sector employees multiply. Kind of like cancer cells.

How can you say
    No Drug Counselors....for now!
    when this will be a duplication of services?
    First Amendment rights are like muscles, if you don't exercise them they will atrophy.

Generally speaking, I am completely supportive of funding to combat drug and alcohol addiction. But I understand Collins' position on this program. He has no control over content but even worse, it has future unfunded mandate written all over it.

Best to think of a different approach.

When the economy gets worse, poverty gets worse. Poverty brings about social ills including drugs.

I hope Collins is true to his word in terms of getting more jobs to the area.

If people are busy working, they won't have time to sit around and take drugs.

...And remember, in recent years Erie County's biggest individual chunk of the budget has gone to Social Services. What does that tell you? Something is wrong.

And, on an added note, we have noticed this at work: Substance abuse social workers and counselors have been listed as among the "fastest growing professions" lately, as appearing on government lists, etc. We wondered if this is because there are in fact more people on drugs or if it's because of government programs for drug rehab being the reason why the profession is suddenly more in demand. Maybe a bit of both?

http://www.bls.gov/oco/ocotjt1.htm
    I'm just here to make people laugh. And to confuse people. Oh, and to irritate people.

Quote Originally Posted by Achbek1
    When the economy gets worse, poverty gets worse. Poverty brings about social ills including drugs.

I hope Collins is true to his word in terms of getting more jobs to the area.

If people are busy working, they won't have time to sit around and take drugs.

...And remember, in recent years Erie County's biggest individual chunk of the budget has gone to Social Services. What does that tell you? Something is wrong.

And, on an added note, we have noticed this at work: Substance abuse social workers and counselors have been listed as among the "fastest growing professions" lately, as appearing on government lists, etc. We wondered if this is because there are in fact more people on drugs or if it's because of government programs for drug rehab being the reason why the profession is suddenly more in demand. Maybe a bit of both?

http://www.bls.gov/oco/ocotjt1.htm
    You are correct about this being amoung the fastest growing professions. In a way I agree with his thoughts about what happens when the state money runs out, but then again, it appears that there will be a definate need for more counselors as time goes on and we now have the ability to get help by the tune of 1.4 mil to get things running and we are going to say "no thanks?"
    WOW!!!
    Life, Liberty and the Pursuit Of All That Threaten It
    What if the Hokey-Pokey IS what it's all about?

Quote Originally Posted by Smiley
    You are correct about this being amoung the fastest growing professions. In a way I agree with his thoughts about what happens when the state money runs out, but then again, it appears that there will be a definate need for more counselors as time goes on and we now have the ability to get help by the tune of 1.4 mil to get things running and we are going to say "no thanks?"
    WOW!!!
    where's the money going to come from after the 1.4 million runs out? You cannot start what you cannot finish.
    I think there are enough places, at least 10 pages worth, of services to choose from. This is a duplication of services already offered.
    http://maps.google.com/maps?hl=en&rl...e-results&cd=1#
    First Amendment rights are like muscles, if you don't exercise them they will atrophy.

Quote Originally Posted by mesue
    where's the money going to come from after the 1.4 million runs out? You cannot start what you cannot finish.
    I think there are enough places, at least 10 pages worth, of services to choose from. This is a duplication of services already offered.
    http://maps.google.com/maps?hl=en&rl...e-results&cd=1#
    I understand completly about the money. My only thoughts are, being that this segment is growing in leaps and bounds, we are going to have a need to hire counselors to keep up with the demands. You're right, maybe it won't happen for awhile yet, but if it starts to accelerate at a faster pace, we will be footing the entire bill instead of having a 1.4 million dollar leg.

I understand completly about the money. My only thoughts are, being that this segment is growing in leaps and bounds, we are going to have a need to hire counselors to keep up with the demands. You're right, maybe it won't happen for awhile yet, but if it starts to accelerate at a faster pace, we will be footing the entire bill instead of having a 1.4 million dollar leg.
    Maybe, maybe not. Isn't there a thread stating that Erie county lost 5,000 people? The population may be decreased and the need for more counselors may never be actuated. Then again, you have to be pretty messed up to live and pay taxes in Erie county. Kinda' makes you want to drink just looking at the tax bill

WOW!!!
    It sounds like you are of the opinion that only the public sector is responsible for drug counseling. Is that true? And if it is, why?

Quote Originally Posted by mesue
    Maybe, maybe not. Isn't there a thread stating that Erie county lost 5,000 people? The population may be decreased and the need for more counselors may never be actuated. Then again, you have to be pretty messed up to live and pay taxes in Erie county. Kinda' makes you want to drink just looking at the tax bill
    I'll drink to that!

Quote Originally Posted by cookie
    It sounds like you are of the opinion that only the public sector is responsible for drug counseling. Is that true? And if it is, why?
    Well... I'm not up on all of the laws that mandate what programs the County has to have, but this might be one of them. A resonable person would think, why should I do a function if it is not mandated? Here again we are talking about government, not a reasonable person. Your guess is as good as mine.

Quote Originally Posted by cookie

Because it is a very public problem. Drug counseling is not cost effective. No private company is going to go into a business just because it needs to be done. There has to be a profit in it.
    Charitable foundations operate drug counseling services but they are usually publicly funded any way.
    "If you want to know what God thinks of money just look at the people he gave it to."

By the way, what happened to biker? I miss the old coot.

Then maybe I'll shut up.
    Collins is grandstanding on this one. I think we will See a lot of that from him. The jobs created will be cut when the money runs out. There are plenty of examples in the past of that type of situation. People that except these positions have usually worked in these programs before and know the rules. Also Collins will save nothing. The money was a state grant that was brought in under his predecessor and the county legislature. If the conditions set forth by the state and approved by the county are not met accordingly than the county will just not get the money. Or if they received it will just pay it back.
    One point four million that would have been pumped into our county economy, as well as possibly assisting some people with drug problems, just won't happen.
    The guy's a jerkoff.
    "If you want to know what God thinks of money just look at the people he gave it to."

By the way, what happened to biker? I miss the old coot.

Cookie,

There are drug counselors in the private sector as in Horizon Human Services, Spectrum Human Services and so on. From what I understand the program that the grant was to fund was a multi-task initiative to include Child Protective Sevices, Adult and Specialized Services, ECMC and other Erie Co depts to help monitor child protection and domestic violence cases and other such situations. I don't know any specifics other than this.
    My music is the expression of my soul. If my song is censored, I'll sing it loud somewhere else.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information