Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: No Drug Counselors....for now!

Why do you think the government will have any more success at this than the private entities that currently do it?

From what I've seen of government, they need to stay out of this type of thing. We have plenty of drug counselors around. This is a program whos monies would be best spent in other ways....maybe GIVE it to the entities that currently do this job.
    http://www.buffaloreuse.org/~kool aid free zone~

Quote Originally Posted by Smiley
    You are absolutely right! I agree that we shouldn't take the 4 million from the State. Erie County can foot the entire bill and hire additional people as needed. This way they will be permanent employees and enjoy the pay and benefits for the rest of their working life.
    It's $1.4 million, not four million. A little more than Collins wants to spend on six sigma training. I guess it's OK to spend that much money on that.
    If Erie County dosen't take the money do you think Albany will just take it and use it to help balance the budget? Highly doubtful, particularly since the money was from the previous budget year, not the one being decided now.
    "If you want to know what God thinks of money just look at the people he gave it to."

By the way, what happened to biker? I miss the old coot.

Quote Originally Posted by keyboard150
    Why do you think the government will have any more success at this than the private entities that currently do it?

From what I've seen of government, they need to stay out of this type of thing. We have plenty of drug counselors around. This is a program whos monies would be best spent in other ways....maybe GIVE it to the entities that currently do this job.

Those private entities, for the most part, are funded primarily by public money anyway.
    "If you want to know what God thinks of money just look at the people he gave it to."

Lets all have a group hug!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by citymouse
    Those private entities, for the most part, are funded primarily by public money anyway.
    Exactly my point. Instead of creating yet ANOTHER entity with more bureaucracy and strain on taxpayers...just increase the funding to the private entities.

I think the drug counselors should include clergy(not just Pastors) who were addicts themselves at one time. They would learn alot on how to get rid of their addictions.

What I seen is the clients at the private sectors can appreciate a well balanced program that offers trained counselors in the field of addiction and clergy with the spiritual side of recovery.

It's $1.4 million, not four million. A little more than Collins wants to spend on six sigma training. I guess it's OK to spend that much money on that.
    If Erie County dosen't take the money do you think Albany will just take it and use it to help balance the budget? Highly doubtful, particularly since the money was from the previous budget year, not the one being decided now.
    As something that will reduce the costs, raise efficiency, and organize governement, I agree with you you that it is OK to spend on the six sigma program.

Quote Originally Posted by PaulJonson
    As something that will reduce the costs, raise efficiency, and organize governement, I agree with you you that it is OK to spend on the six sigma program.
    I agree. At least someone is taking the reins and trying to do something with this sinking ship.

Six sigma is a catch phrase, a campaign slogan. One of those goofy "ra ra the company" "Lets see how to get the most out of the least paid"programs that corporate executives love to subscribe too. Kind of like when they sit in a circle and bang drums. Some one is making money of it and it ain't the taxpayer. I'd like to see who owns the company that will do the training and what their connection to Collins is. I also wonder if he advertised for the lowest bidder to do the training.
    It might be good for small private companies that are profit orientated but not for municipalities who's only reason for existence is to provide services to the community.
    It won't work in government, particularly in New York State. A waste of money and a destined to fail. While I don't support the control board, (we didn't need to gain a control board, we just needed to loose Joel Giambra) I agree and applaud with their decision not to waste money on it.

Quote Originally Posted by keyboard150
    I agree. At least someone is taking the reins and trying to do something with this sinking ship.

Taking the reins on a dead horse.

Six sigma is a catch phrase, a campaign slogan. One of those goofy "ra ra the company" "Lets see how to get the most out of the least paid"programs that corporate executives love to subscribe too. Kind of like when they sit in a circle and bang drums. Some one is making money of it and it ain't the taxpayer. I'd like to see who owns the company that will do the training and what their connection to Collins is. I also wonder if he advertised for the lowest bidder to do the training.
    It might be good for small private companies that are profit orientated but not for municipalities who's only reason for existence is to provide services to the community.
    It won't work in government, particularly in New York State. A waste of money and a destined to fail. While I don't support the control board, (we didn't need to gain a control board, we just needed to loose Joel Giambra) I agree and applaud with their decision not to waste money on it.
    At least you are open minded and reserving judgement until we see the outcome.

Your right about one thing,Profit and municpalities.Provide service or feather your nest.Go Chris let these slackers see what its like in the real world. It wont work in NY becuase of the entitlement mentality. I have never seen a state with as many free cheesers per mile then I see in this State.Where all of you raised to belive that the Government owes you something? I know I wasn't

I agree with this both as a person who is a county employee and one that has a master's in management. To top it off what you don't read in the media is that many of the county department already use TQM which is the parent of all other management programs and efficiently I might add. The media does not tell you about the things that do work in the county because it is not newsworthy. They report the stories no matter how small to feed the public about the stereotypical BIG BAD gov't and waste but say little about what is working to save time and money.

They also don't say anything about the lawsuits that are currently going on as a result of Giambra and his band of mismanaging fools. These lawsuits could cost the taxpayers millions in dollars in fines and lost reimbursement money.

Why can't Collins just have one of his analyists look at TQM program and tweek it so that it would be even more effective and cost savings? There is always room for improvement without having to spend the money Collins is proposing to implement SIX SIGMA.
    My music is the expression of my soul. If my song is censored, I'll sing it loud somewhere else.

Quote Originally Posted by 4music
    I agree with this both as a person who is a county employee and one that has a master's in management. To top it off what you don't read in the media is that many of the county department already use TQM which is the parent of all other management programs and efficiently I might add. The media does not tell you about the things that do work in the county because it is not newsworthy. They report the stories no matter how small to feed the public about the stereotypical BIG BAD gov't and waste but say little about what is working to save time and money.

They also don't say anything about the lawsuits that are currently going on as a result of Giambra and his band of mismanaging fools. These lawsuits could cost the taxpayers millions in dollars in fines and lost reimbursement money.

Why can't Collins just have one of his analyists look at TQM program and tweek it so that it would be even more effective and cost savings? There is always room for improvement without having to spend the money Collins is proposing to implement SIX SIGMA.

Ethics, integrity and trust. Thats working well. Tell me where is the time and money savings? A masters in Management,and working for the county was the best Gig you could get. I only have a BBA and I am doing just fine.However after this tax season I am cutting back,I will never ever owe those bastards again. I am going to live the frugal life of a public sector person. I hear cat food tastes like Tuna ! Hey just like the sixtys Tune in Turn On drop out

Quote Originally Posted by Cgoodsp466
    Ethics, integrity and trust. Thats working well. Tell me where is the time and money savings? A masters in Management,and working for the county was the best Gig you could get. I only have a BBA and I am doing just fine.However after this tax season I am cutting back,I will never ever owe those bastards again. I am going to live the frugal life of a public sector person. I hear cat food tastes like Tuna ! Hey just like the sixtys Tune in Turn On drop out
    I worked for my master's part time in the evening AFTER work so go chew some nails, finishing, roofing or common, don't matter. They are good for what ails ya--namely your creeking fingers. (I would have said jaw but this is a typing forum).

The way you carry on so makes me think you are jealous of civil servants. Come join us here's a couple links:

http://www.erie.gov/employment/pdfs/...nistration.pdf Whoops, sorry this one is expired but check it out anyway.. Always prepare for the future.
    http://www.erie.gov/employment/pdfs/...20Services.pdf
    My music is the expression of my soul. If my song is censored, I'll sing it loud somewhere else.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread Information