Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: No Drug Counselors....for now!

I just thought of this:

Could it be that maybe the need for drug counselors has gone up because of so many people being just released from prison and/or on probation who have within the requirements of their release that they attend drug and alcohol treatment programs?
    I'm just here to make people laugh. And to confuse people. Oh, and to irritate people.

Quote Originally Posted by 4music
    Cookie,

There are drug counselors in the private sector as in Horizon Human Services, Spectrum Human Services and so on. From what I understand the program that the grant was to fund was a multi-task initiative to include Child Protective Sevices, Adult and Specialized Services, ECMC and other Erie Co depts to help monitor child protection and domestic violence cases and other such situations. I don't know any specifics other than this.
    Last time I checked (right before the County laid me off) the biggest individual chunk or Erie County's budget went to Social Services.

That could me one or both of two things:

1.) Erie County spends too much money on Social Services
    2.) Erie County has a higher concenration of people who need Social Services...

Either way, something is wrong.

But I think that it could be a bit of both. But maybe our BAD ECONOMY is what is making more people need Social Services... I still say the problem goes back to lack of jobs.

If people were busy working they would stay out of trouble and have more money. And they need to work for places that provide health insurance and give them more money than what a government handout would give.

But to do that, people need places to work.
    I'm just here to make people laugh. And to confuse people. Oh, and to irritate people.

Quote Originally Posted by Achbek1
    Last time I checked (right before the County laid me off) the biggest individual chunk or Erie County's budget went to Social Services.

That could me one or both of two things:

1.) Erie County spends too much money on Social Services
    2.) Erie County has a higher concenration of people who need Social Services...

Either way, something is wrong.

But I think that it could be a bit of both. But maybe our BAD ECONOMY is what is making more people need Social Services... I still say the problem goes back to lack of jobs.

If people were busy working they would stay out of trouble and have more money. And they need to work for places that provide health insurance and give them more money than what a government handout would give.

But to do that, people need places to work.
    I believe you're right on all counts. I also agree that to get people off social services (except those that are legitimately disabled) is to have jobs for people to go to. Unfortunately, many of the jobs that have come to this area as of late are relatively low paying without a lot of benefits like health care. So while people get off cash assistance many need medicaid, food stamps and day care. What's the answer? I really don't know.

I have been in program initiatives that encourage people with children who already had a job to go to the next level while still providing medicaid for the children only along with food stamps (if still eligible) and day care. By the next level I mean that if they already had a job, case managers would work with them to set goals like transition into full time or brush up a resume and other employee skills while still working and encourage them to look for a better job or position in the company they already work in. Another way was to encourage the client to pursue child support or petition for an increase. This type approach has worked as I have had quite a few people who managed to better themselves. It is sort of like the story of "it is better to teach a person to fish rather than feed him/her a fish". Unfortunately, this type of program is somewhat expensive because of the time it takes to work with individuals who all have different issues that may need to be addressed. The funding for the program I was in dried up due various reasons too numerous to describe here.
    My music is the expression of my soul. If my song is censored, I'll sing it loud somewhere else.

I just thought of this:

Could it be that maybe the need for drug counselors has gone up because of so many people being just released from prison and/or on probation who have within the requirements of their release that they attend drug and alcohol treatment programs?
    Absolutely! But for years drug awareness was emphasized . Now that we are aware addressing the problem aggressively is the next step.
    In addition are workplace conditions. Many places have random drug testing. If you come up positive, and many do with occasional, casual, social and recreational Marijuana use (it stays in your system up to six weeks) you are required to participate.
    Courts also add to the increase. If you get a DWI or DUI you are required to participate. So while I am sure the drug problem probably has increased somewhat, I think it's more awareness and the need to treat the abuse problem.
    "If you want to know what God thinks of money just look at the people he gave it to."

By the way, what happened to biker? I miss the old coot.

Quote Originally Posted by citymouse
    Collins is grandstanding on this one. I think we will See a lot of that from him. The jobs created will be cut when the money runs out. There are plenty of examples in the past of that type of situation. People that except these positions have usually worked in these programs before and know the rules. Also Collins will save nothing. The money was a state grant that was brought in under his predecessor and the county legislature. If the conditions set forth by the state and approved by the county are not met accordingly than the county will just not get the money. Or if they received it will just pay it back.
    One point four million that would have been pumped into our county economy, as well as possibly assisting some people with drug problems, just won't happen.
    The guy's a jerkoff.
    I think I hear the fat lady singing. Are grants not the taxpayers money?
    How would this money be pumped in to our economy? The time has come to stop the madness.We dont need any more public sector employees.

Yeah. Really. This duplication of services isn't needed. Period. Send it back to the state to help plug the budget deficit.
    http://www.buffaloreuse.org/~kool aid free zone~

You are absolutely right! I agree that we shouldn't take the 4 million from the State. Erie County can foot the entire bill and hire additional people as needed. This way they will be permanent employees and enjoy the pay and benefits for the rest of their working life.
    Life, Liberty and the Pursuit Of All That Threaten It
    What if the Hokey-Pokey IS what it's all about?

Well, here's an incredible thing. I've changed my mind after reading this thread.

My original thought was that Collins was right to reject the money.

Now, I think that is wrong.

Trying to treat drug and alcohol addiction is a growth industry because, even if addiction itself wasn't growing a problem, it's a near impossible thing to treat in any case. Collins needs to man up and accept that this is a problem. Get the money and spend it best you can while you have it. A lot of sick people are counting on him, and a lot of people who are sick but haven't yet accepted that need that service too. And consider the huge number of people without health insurance. Boy, they really need Collins.

If spending multiple years being buggard by Bubba in the big house isn't incentive enough not to do illicit drugs what's a freaking consoler going to do?
    The difference between taxes and robbery is the mode of coercion.

I just thought of this:

Could be. But a lot of addicts out there have never been to prison. You'd be surprised by the number of addicts just in your own neighborhood. It's a very widespread illness.

Quote Originally Posted by NoCtUrNaL
    If spending multiple years being buggard by Bubba in the big house isn't incentive enough not to do illicit drugs what's a freaking consoler going to do?
    Prisons are full of drugs. They are not a place to get sober.

And, frankly, I agree with you about drug treatment counselors. Those outpatient places have no more than a 25 percent success rate. What the government should do is direct prisoners to AA or NA, which ever. Those programs at least offer some hope because they are filled with people who are alcoholics or drug addicts but don't do that anymore.

Counselors in those outpatient places mostly lecture. They haven't been to the hell of addiction, so they don't understand.

Quote Originally Posted by Smiley
    You are absolutely right! I agree that we shouldn't take the 4 million from the State. Erie County can foot the entire bill and hire additional people as needed. This way they will be permanent employees and enjoy the pay and benefits for the rest of their working life.
    Hey Smiley. Can you believe I totally agree with you?

Quote Originally Posted by atotaltotalfan2001
    Hey Smiley. Can you believe I totally agree with you?
    Fan,
    It must be that it is Easter Even though, I know it's hard to believe, you and I have agreed in the past on various topics. The scary thing is that it will probably happen again And that's not a bad thing

Just because we don't always agree, doesn't mean that we dislike each other. It's just our opinion on the issue.

Quote Originally Posted by Smiley
    Fan,
    It must be that it is Easter Even though, I know it's hard to believe, you and I have agreed in the past on various topics. The scary thing is that it will probably happen again And that's not a bad thing

Just because we don't always agree, doesn't mean that we dislike each other. It's just our opinion on the issue.
    Yeah, total is kinda like the older sister who picks on you from time to time but who you know is actually looking out for you...

Yeah, total is kinda like the older sister who picks on you from time to time but who you know is actually looking out for you...
    Or in this case the younger sister, by a couple of years anyway, but still looks out for you.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread Information