Thread: Small shops WILL always thrive in spite of the big guys

East of Millersport and now on Facebook at facebook.com/absolivious

Small shops WILL always thrive in spite of the big guys

Toys R Us, WalMart, Home Depot, and Bass Pro can never hurt places like Vidler's in east Aurora, Ed Young's in Williamsville, and that mom 'n' pop tackle shop on Niagara Street.

Here's why.

absolivious:

You are right, the smaller stores will be able to survive. The smaller stores, in my opinion, are more customer friendly, the owners in smaller communities typically know most of the customers by name, can offer better service and sometimes at a price thats very competitive with the big box stores. I cannot see driving all the way to Home Depot for a couple of gallons of paint , when I can buy it at my local hardware store. The price may be a little higher per gallon at the smaller hardware store, but you save money in not having to use as much gasoline. Another product is building supplies. I can buy plywood cheaper at a smaller local builders supply in the country than I can at the bigger stores. Just because a store has more square footage does not mean that it can offer a lower price on the products that they sell.

farmall806

Usually, one of the chief characteristics of a niche revolves around service. There is something special and personal in the service that a small business renders to its customers that sets it apart from its larger competitors.
    From the link, this is what I have always found to be true when going to a small business/self employed/family owned & operated company.

Just because a store has more square footage does not mean that it can offer a lower price on the products that they sell.

Very Good point. When the newer (super) Wegmans was built in West Seneca to replace its smaller store, they almost doubled their floor space, and for the passed 5 years or so they have had more cardbord displays in their aisles making a larger store even more cramped than the smaller location they once had.

Thread Information