Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: FUDOLI and COLLINS' Policy creates movable feast for local rats

Thumbs down FUDOLI and COLLINS' Policy creates movable feast for local rats

Below is an article from today's Buffalo News. This is a result of Dino Fudoli's unjustified policy of voting against rat abatement. Thanks to him our seniors, children, and pets are at great risk of being harmed by disease carrying rodents. There was a recent letter about Dino's platform endorsing rats in last week's Lancaster Bee and there have been numerous posts on metrowny.com's steam section. I will post them, but I cannot find the Bee's letter, if anyone has it, PLEASE POST.

Policy creates movable feast for local rats

New county policy passes job of fighting voracious vermin to towns and villages

Updated: August 29, 2011, 9:07 AM
    It's a good time to be a rat in Erie County.
    Loosely sealed garbage cans, fully exposed compost piles, heavily used bird feeders and uncollected dog feces amount to a never-ending smorgasbord for our rodent friends.
    On top of that, the county has passed the rat-fighting burden on to its towns and villages, but not every suburban government is actively trapping or killing these rodents.
    "We're starting to narrow in on where we see problems," said Highway Superintendent Robert Anderson of Amherst, which has hired Orkin to respond to rat complaints in the town.
    Erie County's Vector and Pest Control Program has long been the central resource in the local fight against rats, which began moving from Buffalo to the suburbs years ago.
    This year County Executive Chris Collins put an end to the county's role in rat baiting and trapping, later setting aside $70,000 for locally based rat-control efforts.
    "Erie County continues to provide what the state mandates for vector and pest control," said Collins spokesman Grant Loomis, noting the Health Department still takes rat complaints, sends employees to properties when appropriate and suggests ways to eliminate food sources.
    However, the county hasn't spent any of its rat funds, and suburban rodent-control efforts vary from town to village.
    The Village of Lancaster, for example, hasn't had an employee certified to put out rat poison since spring 2010, but plans to hire a contractor next month to do the job.
    Cheektowaga gives advice to residents who complain, but rarely traps or poisons its rats.
    "It's up to the property owner to control the issue," said Larry Kensy, managing housing inspector for Cheektowaga. "Big brother can't always come to save the little brother, let's put it that way."
    Not every town or village keeps close track of their rat complaints, so it's hard to say whether rat sightings have risen this year.
    Among those that do, Amherst saw the number of complaints fall from 2008 to 2009 before rising in 2010 -- to 236 -- and reaching 115 as of mid-August, according to the town Highway Department. Those complaints include skunks, woodchucks and other rodents, not just rats, Anderson said.
    Erie County's Health Department logged 2,964 rat complaints in 2010 and 999 through Aug. 24 of this year, according to department data, which may include more than one complaint for a single address.
    More than half the complaints came from Buffalo, with notable totals of 16 percent from Cheektowaga and 9 percent from the Town of Tonawanda.
    "We think they travel out by rail," quipped Lancaster Village Mayor William G. Cansdale Jr.
    After Buffalo required its residents to use totes for their garbage, rats began moving to the suburbs to find food.
    The Town and City of Tonawanda, Amherst, Williamsville and Kenmore require garbage totes, but Cheektowaga, Lancaster and West Seneca do not.
    "That has cut down tremendously" on rodent complaints, Amherst's Anderson said.
    Erie County used to distribute rat traps and poison, but Collins ended that unmandated program this year for budget reasons.
    After some county legislators complained, Collins agreed to use surplus money to set up a $70,000 rat-control fund.
    The county is barred from paying to supply residents or suburban government employees with rat-baiting kits.
    The money can be used to pay for the training required by the state Department of Environmental Conservation for any employee to be certified to put out the chemicals.
    The News reported on the fund in April, and Dr. Anthony J. Billitier IV, the county health commissioner, sent a letter to suburban governments on Aug. 11 informing them of the availability of the rat-control money.
    Recipients "have to show a willingness to tackle the problem" by, if necessary, strengthening their codes, said Loomis.
    The City of Tonawanda and Kenmore have applied for a share of the fund, and Cansdale informed Collins of his intention to apply for rat-control funding, Loomis said.
    As of last week, none of the $70,000 has been spent, he said.
    In the county's place, suburban towns and villages have been left on their own.
    Some have turned to outside contractors, as in the case of Amherst's hiring of Orkin.
    Cheektowaga has one town employee certified to lay rat poison, but wants to get two more trained if funding can be found, said Highway Superintendent Mark Wegner.
    "We've only been out twice so far" this summer, Wegner said.
    The town used to hire an exterminator to deal with rats, but the Town Board disbanded the program in 2009 for financial reasons, Kensy said.
    Now, when people call, town employees walk them through the reasons they found a rat in their yard and their options.
    "Either you bait -- you buy the bait yourself -- or hire an exterminator," Kensy said. His Neighborhood Preservation Office has received an average of half a dozen complaints per week this summer.
    West Seneca had received 10 rat complaints, at most, this summer. "We usually have them call the county," said Highway Superintendent Matt English.
    Kenmore, which received three rat complaints per day during the height of the July heat wave, doesn't have any employee certified to lay bait, officials told The News last month.
    The Village of Lancaster hasn't had a certified rat-control employee on the job since spring 2010, when Daniel E. Rinow moved on to become acting village justice, Cansdale said.
    "We were very aggressive initially, but since then we haven't replaced him," the mayor said.
    The village plans to hire a rodent-control contractor by next month, Cansdale said, and hopes to receive county funding for an informational mailing and poison-laying certification for one employee.
    "This is extremely urgent, because I've seen a rat in my backyard," said Cansdale, who believes the rodent was drawn in by his wife's bird feeder, which they have since removed.
    Falling seeds from bird feeders, dog feces left in yards, unsealed garbage cans and uncovered compost piles all provide feasts for rats, local officials said.
    And children's swimming pools left filled with water can provide liquid refreshment.
    The officials said even if they did have the budget and staff to respond to rat complaints, the problem won't get better if residents don't do their part.
    "Rats tend to go where the food is," said George Pease, code enforcement officer for the town and village of Lancaster."

http://www.buffalonews.com/city/comm...icle537561.ece

For more information about how Mr. Fudoli has voted against protecting our communities and has been lockstep/rubber stamping all of Collin's intiatives with blind intent, please contact him directly using the information below.

92 Franklin St., 4th Floor
    Buffalo, N.Y. 14202
    Phone: 716/601-3030
    Fax: 716/858-8818
    Email: Dino.Fudoli@erie.gov

Capture.jpgThese are some recent posts from metrowny.com/steam. There have been numerous the past few weeks, but these are especially alarming.

rats i lived in MY NEIGBORHOOD FOR 30 YEARS
    WELL SOMEBODY TELL ME WHAT CAN BE DONE ABOUT THE RATS.ON AUG 28TH 2011 .FOR TWO HOURS MY GRANDSON AND I WATCHED RATS IN MY BACKYRD. MY YARD IS CLEAN AND LAWN CUT .CLEANUP AFTER MY DOG EVERY DAY. MY NEIGHBOR YARD IS NOT CLEAN WE WATCHED RAT COME FROM UNDER THE FANCE TO ARE YARD .ASK HIM TO CLEAN UP HAD THE TOWN THERE AND NO HELP . NOW I CALL THE ERIE COUNTY HEALTH DEPT. THEY TOLD THEY DO NOT BATE ANY MORE .AS OF JAN 1 2011. SO WHY DO WE CALL THEY SAY THEY WILL SEND SOME ONE OUT SO WHEN. AND I HAVE SMAL CHILDERN AROUND. I GUESS IT TIME TO CALL A T V STATION TO SEEE IF THAT WELL HALP THE PEOPLE IN OFFICE TO GET THE JOB DONE PLEASE HELP.

Comment on this Steam
    You must be signed in to comment.
    Click Here to create a Free Account
    Click here to Sign in

Name Email Subject Comments Slide the black box to the right to Unlock this form - Then Click Submit.
    Unlocking the form this way proves you're human and not an autobot

LockedUnlocked

2011-08-29 | 10:56:34
    Thank Dino Fudoli for this
    This is a sad scenario. I feel sorry for you and your grandkids. I want to let you know that your County Legislator DINO FUDOLI voted against funding rat control! An insane vote! His brain must be dysfunctional from all his past drug abuse. Contact him and voice your opinion. Rat control has been underfunded because of radical ideologues like Mr. Fudoli. Here is his contact info: 92 Franklin St., 4th Floor Buffalo, N.Y. 14202 Phone: 716/601-3030 Fax: 716/858-8818 Email: Dino.Fudoli@erie.gov Hope this helps and Godspeed!

So what you are saying is that it is Collins/Fudoli's fault that your neighbors are too lazy to maintain your property? Everyone claims that the government is too big and too expensive, and to interfering until something they don't like happens.

At least i give credit to people who at least tries to take care of thier property.

Quote Originally Posted by Ace22 View Post
    Below is an article from today's Buffalo News. This is a result of Dino Fudoli's unjustified policy of voting against rat abatement. Thanks to him our seniors, children, and pets are at great risk of being harmed by disease carrying rodents. There was a recent letter about Dino's platform endorsing rats in last week's Lancaster Bee and there have been numerous posts on metrowny.com's steam section. I will post them, but I cannot find the Bee's letter, if anyone has it, PLEASE POST.

Policy creates movable feast for local rats

New county policy passes job of fighting voracious vermin to towns and villages

Updated: August 29, 2011, 9:07 AM
    It's a good time to be a rat in Erie County.
    Loosely sealed garbage cans, fully exposed compost piles, heavily used bird feeders and uncollected dog feces amount to a never-ending smorgasbord for our rodent friends.
    On top of that, the county has passed the rat-fighting burden on to its towns and villages, but not every suburban government is actively trapping or killing these rodents.
    "We're starting to narrow in on where we see problems," said Highway Superintendent Robert Anderson of Amherst, which has hired Orkin to respond to rat complaints in the town.
    Erie County's Vector and Pest Control Program has long been the central resource in the local fight against rats, which began moving from Buffalo to the suburbs years ago.
    This year County Executive Chris Collins put an end to the county's role in rat baiting and trapping, later setting aside $70,000 for locally based rat-control efforts.
    "Erie County continues to provide what the state mandates for vector and pest control," said Collins spokesman Grant Loomis, noting the Health Department still takes rat complaints, sends employees to properties when appropriate and suggests ways to eliminate food sources.
    However, the county hasn't spent any of its rat funds, and suburban rodent-control efforts vary from town to village.
    The Village of Lancaster, for example, hasn't had an employee certified to put out rat poison since spring 2010, but plans to hire a contractor next month to do the job.
    Cheektowaga gives advice to residents who complain, but rarely traps or poisons its rats.
    "It's up to the property owner to control the issue," said Larry Kensy, managing housing inspector for Cheektowaga. "Big brother can't always come to save the little brother, let's put it that way."
    Not every town or village keeps close track of their rat complaints, so it's hard to say whether rat sightings have risen this year.
    Among those that do, Amherst saw the number of complaints fall from 2008 to 2009 before rising in 2010 -- to 236 -- and reaching 115 as of mid-August, according to the town Highway Department. Those complaints include skunks, woodchucks and other rodents, not just rats, Anderson said.
    Erie County's Health Department logged 2,964 rat complaints in 2010 and 999 through Aug. 24 of this year, according to department data, which may include more than one complaint for a single address.
    More than half the complaints came from Buffalo, with notable totals of 16 percent from Cheektowaga and 9 percent from the Town of Tonawanda.
    "We think they travel out by rail," quipped Lancaster Village Mayor William G. Cansdale Jr.
    After Buffalo required its residents to use totes for their garbage, rats began moving to the suburbs to find food.
    The Town and City of Tonawanda, Amherst, Williamsville and Kenmore require garbage totes, but Cheektowaga, Lancaster and West Seneca do not.
    "That has cut down tremendously" on rodent complaints, Amherst's Anderson said.
    Erie County used to distribute rat traps and poison, but Collins ended that unmandated program this year for budget reasons.
    After some county legislators complained, Collins agreed to use surplus money to set up a $70,000 rat-control fund.
    The county is barred from paying to supply residents or suburban government employees with rat-baiting kits.
    The money can be used to pay for the training required by the state Department of Environmental Conservation for any employee to be certified to put out the chemicals.
    The News reported on the fund in April, and Dr. Anthony J. Billitier IV, the county health commissioner, sent a letter to suburban governments on Aug. 11 informing them of the availability of the rat-control money.
    Recipients "have to show a willingness to tackle the problem" by, if necessary, strengthening their codes, said Loomis.
    The City of Tonawanda and Kenmore have applied for a share of the fund, and Cansdale informed Collins of his intention to apply for rat-control funding, Loomis said.
    As of last week, none of the $70,000 has been spent, he said.
    In the county's place, suburban towns and villages have been left on their own.
    Some have turned to outside contractors, as in the case of Amherst's hiring of Orkin.
    Cheektowaga has one town employee certified to lay rat poison, but wants to get two more trained if funding can be found, said Highway Superintendent Mark Wegner.
    "We've only been out twice so far" this summer, Wegner said.
    The town used to hire an exterminator to deal with rats, but the Town Board disbanded the program in 2009 for financial reasons, Kensy said.
    Now, when people call, town employees walk them through the reasons they found a rat in their yard and their options.
    "Either you bait -- you buy the bait yourself -- or hire an exterminator," Kensy said. His Neighborhood Preservation Office has received an average of half a dozen complaints per week this summer.
    West Seneca had received 10 rat complaints, at most, this summer. "We usually have them call the county," said Highway Superintendent Matt English.
    Kenmore, which received three rat complaints per day during the height of the July heat wave, doesn't have any employee certified to lay bait, officials told The News last month.
    The Village of Lancaster hasn't had a certified rat-control employee on the job since spring 2010, when Daniel E. Rinow moved on to become acting village justice, Cansdale said.
    "We were very aggressive initially, but since then we haven't replaced him," the mayor said.
    The village plans to hire a rodent-control contractor by next month, Cansdale said, and hopes to receive county funding for an informational mailing and poison-laying certification for one employee.
    "This is extremely urgent, because I've seen a rat in my backyard," said Cansdale, who believes the rodent was drawn in by his wife's bird feeder, which they have since removed.
    Falling seeds from bird feeders, dog feces left in yards, unsealed garbage cans and uncovered compost piles all provide feasts for rats, local officials said.
    And children's swimming pools left filled with water can provide liquid refreshment.
    The officials said even if they did have the budget and staff to respond to rat complaints, the problem won't get better if residents don't do their part.
    "Rats tend to go where the food is," said George Pease, code enforcement officer for the town and village of Lancaster."

http://www.buffalonews.com/city/comm...icle537561.ece

For more information about how Mr. Fudoli has voted against protecting our communities and has been lockstep/rubber stamping all of Collin's intiatives with blind intent, please contact him directly using the information below.

92 Franklin St., 4th Floor
    Buffalo, N.Y. 14202
    Phone: 716/601-3030
    Fax: 716/858-8818
    Email: Dino.Fudoli@erie.gov
    One should go no further than the first paragragh, people need to take pride and responsibility regarding their property issues. Relationship to a rat infested neighborhood, follow the simple check list rule: lids on your garbage, deal with compost wisely and create a designated space away from your surroundings, overfeeding birds allowing the seeds to create a collage of rat delights only invite the rest of the clan, pick up your dog poo and dispose wisely, cut your grass regularly instead of leaving it soo long, and clean your outter space. Clean rules to follow and if you need to bait you can buy it yourself since you are the one drawing in the rats.

Why should the government pay for everything, I'm glad to see that these programs are starting to get slashed!!!! We need to begin somewhere...

Ace you must have rats running around. Follow the simple rules and you will be fine. Using scare tactics just shows what kind of person you are.

Tony Fracasso - Admin
    Thanks to him our seniors, children, and pets are at great risk of being harmed by disease carrying rodents.
    I'd rather deal with a rat issue on my property instead of ever increasing property/school taxes...

Good job Chris.

I had mice in my garage. I bought traps. I no longer have a mouse problem.

Scale that up and there will be no problem.

Tony Fracasso - Admin
    Pellet guns work fine against rats as do traps/dcon.

While I whole-heartedly agree with personal responsibility and the effect is has on all of us, I believe you are all reading passed the overall point of "Ace22"'s post. The fact of the matter is Mr.Fudoli was one of 2 legislators that voted against funding rodent control on the whole. He was in a stark minority. I believe Ace22 is simply stating that funding of rat control, historically, has ALWAYS been funded by the County. The elimination of funding has left a giant hole in policy for the surrounding municipalities. The lack of foresight by legislatiors, like Dino, has left many villages and towns dismayed>>>looking for solutions to a problem that was never there's.

Me thinks that we are now in a situation, county-wide, that we are no longer looking at rat abatement, but rather rat extermination. What I mean by this, is by the time the towns and villages catch-up and enforce their own policies now that the county has left them high and dry without proper preparatory notice, the rats will already have a year head start on all of us because of this idiotic policy. So instead of our traditional, and very effective rat abatement program that we're use to---we are now looking at EXTERMINATION rather than ABATEMENT/control. Once extermination is proven to have taken hold, then we have to go back to abatement procedure. Essentially, we have to start the process all over again from square one county-wide because once the rats take hole, they'll never stop reproducing and getting into our homes and businesses.

Also>>>>the personal responsibility thing really doesn't take hold here. NYC and other large metro arease would never vacate their rodent control policy. NEVER!!! Rodent control is very important to all of us, believe it or not. We don't realize it until its gone because abatement has always been in place, every since Grover Cleveland was in charge of Erie County. Even when we stress personal responsibility, we know we will still have neighbors who will not address these issues, and then it becomes everyone's problem. Many of you are also forgetting about senior housing, low income housing, group living situations, plazas, and animal shelters. Many are unaware that rodent control has been underfunded/not funded at all and because of this an EDUCATION issue has been neglected. This means that those ignorant to the new policy do not even know that they are now responsible for control.

The dollar/tax issue is a non-factor as well. Rodent control is relatively inexpensive and would not have any substantial effect on our tax bills. ENTITLEMENTS are the problem.

Anyways...I GUESS IT'S JUST ANOTHER RAT RACE IN ERIE COUNTY! Lock up your pets...they are usually the ones that get it first!

Ahh, I see your point.

Quote Originally Posted by WNYresident View Post
    I'd rather deal with a rat issue on my property instead of ever increasing property/school taxes...

Good job Chris.
    +1 Res...

I live in the Village, by the railroad tracks on a dead end street. We have been there since 2007, and have only seen one rat. My wife took her birdfeeder down, and we haven't seen another one since.

Trying to pin the rat problem on Collins or Fudoli is simpleminded and the reaction of someone who has no valid argument and loves to run a smear campaign.

If I ever saw a rat in my yard, the first thing I would do would be to call an exterminator. I'd be afraid to unload a trap and my skin would crawl if I had to deal with dopey rats after being poisoned. But I feel there would have to be some code enforcement, if a neighbor's yard was a breeding ground for them. Let's say 10 neighbors went the exterminator route but the slob in the neighborhood did nothing. All the money spent would be for naught. Municipal code enforcement has to be integral part of any rat abatement program

Georgia L Schlager

Hey ACE22, some questions and comments

What was the county budget for rat abatement prior to this year’s $70,000?

As there will now be 11 Legislative Districts, how is the money distributed? Equally? First come, first served?

I agree there should be some municipal involvement in controlling the rat population. That said, I believe the rat issue is one that deserves consideration from everyone, municipality and residents as well.

I live in the Town of Lancaster and the neighborhood I live in is rat free, but they are getting close. In 2006, when the County Health Department put out a report indicating where rat sightings were taking place and therefore where municipalities needed to enact a lidded tote (container) policy, the Village of Lancaster did so.

The Town discussed the expense of purchasing totes, the costs to retrofit garbage trucks to handle the totes, the difficulty/inconvenience/ handling such totes by seniors and those with disabilities. The Town was thinking of piggy backing on the Village ordinance, but never did. The Town suggests the use of totes and not putting out bags of garbage before 6 pm the previous evening. See the attached link: http://www.speakupwny.com/article_3299.shtml

In the Village, residents and businesses violate the lidded container law constantly – arguing the lids and even containers disappear during windy days. They tie their lids to the containers and that’s a no-no. Garbage waste in plastic bags is seen at the curb days in advance of pick up as well.

There is either a state or county law that states that lidded containers are to be used with waste products. The law is violated so the county alone takes the hit?

Come on Ace, your post is all about politics and discrediting Fudoli. Let’s put the blame for rat proliferation where it belongs.

You may want to read the following two prior reports as well:

http://www.speakupwny.com/article_3180.shtml

http://www.speakupwny.com/article_2937.shtml

Lee, thanks for the resources...I appreciate your questions and feedback. I do believe your heart is in the right place most of the time, but please bear in mind there other opinions out there, and this issue is black and white. You are correct in asserting that I do have some biases against the man/men that cast their vote to strip us against protection from rodents. Call my opinion what you want, but facts are facts. And the Votes speak for themselves. Thanks also to the new guy for some of his input.

Rodents, as you know Lee, and as espoused in the articles you directed me too are often not an individual problem. Rodents cannot be contained or controlled by traps, decon, and pellet guns on an individual basis. Sorry if I sound like a genocidal dictator, but they must be exterminated on a massive basis. I am just simply stating that Fudoli's vote was simply a rookie rubber stamp vote devoid of research and the overall unintended consequences the vote may have entailed. 70 grand is a drop in the bucket and although Fudoli's vote may have resulted in UNINTENTIONAL harm, the harm has been done nonetheless...As you stated, they're getting closer to all of us!

Another opinion I have is that we have substituted across the board rat abatement with undefined helter skelter solutions which will be a smokescreen for more hidden taxes. i.e. If we hire a "rat guy" or "garbage can monitor", we tax payers will get the bill for that too. We will have to pay an employee to drive around each neighborhood, burning gas in a vehicle, to take pictures and cite taxpayer for non-compliance. On top of that, those given citations will have to pay another fine (hidden tax) in a Court if found negligent. If we mandate garbage totes, lids, other devices, etc... we will also have to foot the bill. If the rats get our dogs and pets and spread diseases to our children it will result in vet expenses, medical expenses, etc... This whole thing could end up costing us A LOT more when its all said and done. And it could have been completely avoided. MY OPINION: Stupid vote and an important vote, overall.

I also got ahold of the letter in the Bee this week about this issue, which actually came before today's Buffalo News article. I found it clever and interesting:

From last Thursday's Lancaster Bee

Dear Editor,

Every presidential election cycle nearly 3 million people vote for the beloved Mickey Mouse using a write-in ballot. Many attribute this vote as a “protest vote” against our political leaders and our system as a whole. It is indeed a funny way of exercising our democratic right to reject our overly partisan system of governance. Without any offense to Mickey Mouse, one vote that isn’t funny is whether or not Erie County taxpayers should be protected against rodents and the diseases they carry.
    In Lancaster, we had the misfortune of having our Legislator, Dino Fudoli, vote against funding rodent control! Watching the gridlock of politics nowadays is enough to make anyone sick. Some of our leaders drag their feet as they spin every vote into a partisan issue. However, one vote that should be a no-brainer is whether or not our communities in Erie County should be protected from buboes carrying rodents. Thankfully the Legislature, as a whole, passed rodent control funding. You would think that this vote, above all others, would pass unanimously. But typical to our overall system, one politician turned rodent control into a partisan issue: Legislator Fudoli.
    Dino Fudoli voted “no” to fund the arts, libraries, and now rodent control! Mr. Fudoli should open up a book and learn that rats carry diseases that can harm our children, grandchildren, and pets. They caused the Bubonic Plague in the Dark Ages. When Dino casted his “no” vote to fund protection against rodents in our communities he voted against protecting us all from well known diseases that these critters carry. If this vote doesn't sum up his nonsensical platform, I'm not sure what will. Sorry Mickey, but shame on you Dino!

Tony Fracasso - Admin
    Come on Ace, your post is all about politics and discrediting Fudoli. Let’s put the blame for rat proliferation where it belongs.
    Nailed it...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information