Thread: Biofuels starving America

Biofuels starving America

Higher Wheat Prices Drive Up Bills for Grocery Staples

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn...091402294.html

By Cecilia Kang
    Washington Post Staff Writer
    Saturday, September 15, 2007; Page D01

First it was corn. Now wheat is getting the blame.
    Earlier this year, corn began getting pricey because it was in high demand to make ethanol. That sent prices rising for other corn-dependent products, including milk and meat. Now wheat is costing more and more because of poor harvests and greater global demand, sending grocery bills still higher.

Thank Gore and the rest of the american communist hypocrites?

Global markets. All about money, money, money. The root of all evil.

Meanwhile, deficits soar unchecked and without care.

Yeah, I know some people in the food manufacturing and food distribution industires and they agree that the price of wheat is having an impact. They added the ethanol thing because some farmers stopped growing as much wheat to instead grow more corn for ethanol. (But I still think that, in theory anyways, growing more corn for fuel here in the US is better than killing more US soldiers for oil from the Middle East.)

They also say that the high price of gas is making EVERYTHING more expensive just because it's harder to get things from point A to point B. I've heard of vending machine route guys going out of business because of gas prices.

Check out the Bureau of Labor Statistics Consumer Price Index Average Price Data (based on selected grocery products and utilities) and select the way to view historical statistics. It's interesting. In the mid 90s coffee prices went way up. ironically during the height of the mid 90s coffee house craze. I think it was because of draughts or whatnot in the countries that grew coffee beans...

http://data.bls.gov/cgi-bin/surveymost?ap

Looks like a loaf of bread is in fact going up by a few pennies each month.
    I'm just here to make people laugh. And to confuse people. Oh, and to irritate people.

Quote Originally Posted by Achbek1
    Yeah, I know some people in the food manufacturing and food distribution industires and they agree that the price of wheat is having an impact. They added the ethanol thing because some farmers stopped growing as much wheat to instead grow more corn for ethanol. (But I still think that, in theory anyways, growing more corn for fuel here in the US is better than killing more US soldiers for oil from the Middle East.)

They also say that the high price of gas is making EVERYTHING more expensive just because it's harder to get things from point A to point B. I've heard of vending machine route guys going out of business because of gas prices.

Check out the Bureau of Labor Statistics Consumer Price Index Average Price Data (based on selected grocery products and utilities) and select the way to view historical statistics. It's interesting. In the mid 90s coffee prices went way up. ironically during the height of the mid 90s coffee house craze. I think it was because of draughts or whatnot in the countries that grew coffee beans...

http://data.bls.gov/cgi-bin/surveymost?ap

Looks like a loaf of bread is in fact going up by a few pennies each month.

The farmer gets $5.50 for a 56 pound bushel of corn. Ask your friends why cereal costs $5.50 a pound.

Let us know.

Thread Information