Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: One Helluva Tip

One Helluva Tip

ANYONE EAT AT THIS RESTAURANT ON KENMORE AVE.????...............AND USE A CREDIT CARD TO PAY FOR YOUR MEAL?
    Buffalo, NY Reply »
    |
    Yes there's a lot of people who steal iin Buffalo. Even one of our leading restaurant owners just pleaded guilty to stealing $45,000 from customer credit cards at anohter restaurant he owned in another state:

http://www.greatfallstribune.com/apps/pbcs.dl...

'Indigo co-owner pleads guilty to credit card fraud By ZACHARY FRANZ Tribune Staff Writer

A former co-owner of the now-defunct Indigo Lounge admitted Thursday in federal court to stealing thousands of dollars from restaurant patrons.

Kevin O'Connell, 33, flew to Great Falls from Buffalo, N.Y., where he lives, to appear on a felony charge of credit card fraud. He pleaded guilty to the charge, acknowledging that he made $44,209 in unauthorized charges to the credit card accounts of several customers. He said he saved receipts from credit card purchases made in the restaurant, and later used the card numbers on the receipts to make additional charges.

"They were done by me and solely by me, and I take full responsibility," O'Connell told U.S. Magistrate Judge Keith Strong Thursday.

O'Connell said he made the unauthorized charges to pay costs for the struggling restaurant.
    "It got to this point because of financial irresponsibility, as well as financial instability," he said.

O'Connell also appeared in state district court in Cascade County on Thursday morning, where he was arraigned on a felony charge of issuing bad checks. In that case, O'Connell pleaded not guilty to writing six bad checks worth $7,672.
    ...'

Quote Originally Posted by joe d.
    ANYONE EAT AT THIS RESTAURANT ON KENMORE AVE.????...............AND USE A CREDIT CARD TO PAY FOR YOUR MEAL?
    Buffalo, NY Reply »
    |
    Yes there's a lot of people who steal iin Buffalo. Even one of our leading restaurant owners just pleaded guilty to stealing $45,000 from customer credit cards at anohter restaurant he owned in another state:

http://www.greatfallstribune.com/apps/pbcs.dl...

'Indigo co-owner pleads guilty to credit card fraud By ZACHARY FRANZ Tribune Staff Writer

A former co-owner of the now-defunct Indigo Lounge admitted Thursday in federal court to stealing thousands of dollars from restaurant patrons.

Kevin O'Connell, 33, flew to Great Falls from Buffalo, N.Y., where he lives, to appear on a felony charge of credit card fraud. He pleaded guilty to the charge, acknowledging that he made $44,209 in unauthorized charges to the credit card accounts of several customers. He said he saved receipts from credit card purchases made in the restaurant, and later used the card numbers on the receipts to make additional charges.

"They were done by me and solely by me, and I take full responsibility," O'Connell told U.S. Magistrate Judge Keith Strong Thursday.

O'Connell said he made the unauthorized charges to pay costs for the struggling restaurant.
    "It got to this point because of financial irresponsibility, as well as financial instability," he said.

O'Connell also appeared in state district court in Cascade County on Thursday morning, where he was arraigned on a felony charge of issuing bad checks. In that case, O'Connell pleaded not guilty to writing six bad checks worth $7,672.
    ...'
    hmmm, son of Kevin O'Connell - weatherman????

Quote Originally Posted by Henry Hill
    hmmm, son of Kevin O'Connell - weatherman????

yep....he owns what used to be the hour glass....

btw,joe....LINKEE NO WORKEE!!

Not to get off topic, but the O'Connell family has had it's share of hard luck. In the early 1990s' Kevin's sister, Mary Kate was brutally assaulted with a hammer in the Nottingham Terrace home of millionaire Max Jacobs (Delaware North, Sports Service). Seth Jacobs was acquitted, and the family then sued O'Connell for court costs. Note: See previous thread about dream- team lawyers, and buying your way out of criminal charges.

The credit card scam at the Indigo illustrates why it's important to never let your card out of your sight. When dining out, pay with cash. Wait staff* and hotel workers have been known to use cell phone cameras to photo your credit card, front and back. They've got until your next billing statement to max it out - usually by placing online orders and having the stuff shipped to a mail drop. Depending on your spending habits, your credit card company may never notify you about the unusual purchase of 300 Ipods. Sure, they'll cover the loss, but you will spend about 20 hours following up with banks and the FTC to clear your account.

*B4 someone jumps all over my sh**, this is not a condemnation of all hospitality and restaurant workers, most are honest and hardworking.

anyones neighbor
    ChaneysGotaGun
    Being an Aerosmith fan, I absolutely love this name! (it's not quite but almost).

First Amendment rights are like muscles, if you don't exercise them they will atrophy.

You gotta give him credit for being honest. How often do you see a statement like this:

Suppose Kevin O'Connell was the Mayor. Or County Executive.
    Can you imagine the trashing he'd be taking on this board?

But, no one cares about the fat old weatherman.

I used to eat at the Pasta buffet in the Adams Mark (it was awesome, but I digress)...Out of the clear blue, the pasta cook asks me if I know who Kevin O'Connel is. I did. He goes on to tell me how his son was a thief and how he was always getting bailed out by daddy. The guy mentioned that lil Kev was in to drugs and that's why he stole.
    This all happened out of the blue and took all of 15 seconds before I excused myself.

BTW, this was at least 5 years ago, so obviously this O'Connell's not a first time crook.

Quote Originally Posted by FisherRd
    BTW, this was at least 5 years ago, so obviously this O'Connell's not a first time crook.
    Yeah, obviously.
    Maybe the reason the kid fessed up is because he knew the pasta chef had his number.

Quote Originally Posted by therising
    Yeah, obviously.
    Maybe the reason the kid fessed up is because he knew the pasta chef had his number.

This pasta chef looked like he had a number too...A Prisoner #. He was a shady character.

Does anyone know if they still do the pasta bar? It wasn't too pricey, it was all you can eat, and the pasta was made to order (and the ingredients were all on display...shrimp, broccoli, sausage, mushrooms, chicken, garlic, etc).

No f-ing WAY! On one hand I'm shocked about Jr., but on the other hand....nothing really shocks me anymore.

Quote Originally Posted by ChaneysGotaGun
    Not to get off topic, but the O'Connell family has had it's share of hard luck. In the early 1990s' Kevin's sister, Mary Kate was brutally assaulted with a hammer in the Nottingham Terrace home of millionaire Max Jacobs (Delaware North, Sports Service). Seth Jacobs was acquitted, and the family then sued O'Connell for court costs. Note: See previous thread about dream- team lawyers, and buying your way out of criminal charges.

The credit card scam at the Indigo illustrates why it's important to never let your card out of your sight. When dining out, pay with cash. Wait staff* and hotel workers have been known to use cell phone cameras to photo your credit card, front and back. They've got until your next billing statement to max it out - usually by placing online orders and having the stuff shipped to a mail drop. Depending on your spending habits, your credit card company may never notify you about the unusual purchase of 300 Ipods. Sure, they'll cover the loss, but you will spend about 20 hours following up with banks and the FTC to clear your account.

*B4 someone jumps all over my sh**, this is not a condemnation of all hospitality and restaurant workers, most are honest and hardworking.
    The thing with Mary Kate was very controversial. Some believe that she was paid off to keep her silence in the beginning (you may recall that she didn't do anything about it for quite some time). There are a number of other rumors that have circulated about the incident. Put it this way, as horrific as it sounds like it was, not everyone believes that Mary Kate was the helpless victim she claimed to be.

You're absolutely right about being careful about credit cards. Don't give your number out on a cell/cordless phone either and if you cut one up dispose of the pieces in separate garbage bags (now, watch, I'll be the one to have my identity stolen and my accounts drained).

Quote Originally Posted by therising
    You gotta give him credit for being honest. .
    Pun intended?

Quote Originally Posted by Daisy H
    Pun intended?
    No, I was serious.

So, he stole some people's credit card numbers, and used them. But, then when they say "Hey, did you steal these people's credit card number's and use them?", he said "Yeah."

A man of good character in my book. But, I'm easily impressed.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information