Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Small water damage to drywall and wall trim

Shortie, I saw this as a suggestion on another site -

Rub on citrus-based hand cleaner, wait 3-5 minutes, water rinse/dry

Another site said to
    Soak a rag with Rubbing alcohol and let sit for several hours.
    If on a vertical surface, tape the rag on.

Georgia L Schlager

if you can't beat it join it. and color to the stain to make it match. I know clear caulk is hard to stain but something must work on it
    One good thing about growing old is your secrets are safe with your friends they can't remember them either

better idea put an outdoor rug over the stain
    One good thing about growing old is your secrets are safe with your friends they can't remember them either

Thanks gorja, that sounds interesting. I'll give it a shot!

Thanks grandpa, well it is in the joint where the floor and wall meets. No rugs - but being that the sun has baked it on, I suspect the options need to be aggressive.

Anyone familiar with a concoction that involves vinegar and Dawn? I'm trying that solution too, hopefully something works!

Update:

Nothing worked
    So I'm left with an ugly site on my decking and vinyl siding, it looks worse as it ages. If anyone has any other suggestions that I can use to eradicate caulk please let me know.
    Thanks

can we get a picture?
    Willful ignorance is the downfall of every major empire in history.

"Political power grows out of the barrel of a gun." - Mao, 1938

Quote Originally Posted by FMD View Post
    can we get a picture?
    If I can figure out how to pull that off, I will FMD. I think this caulk literally stained the material and the sun pretty much baked it on which is probably why this is permanent. But I continue to use Kleenex to rub it off, that said it still has a stain where I wipe off the grime of the caulk

In reviewing this thread, now it's 2016 and my deck is still stained permanently. The next option come spring is to get a commercial power washing company to do the decking.

A neighbor of ours this past summer had a terrible situation happen to their decking and beams on the exterior of their house. It appeared to have been the same issue-architectural flaw and poor materials. The builder used interior wood not fit for the exterior weather related elements. The beams deteriorated, causing the upper deck to almost collapse, creating leaking into the house damaging drywall etc. Same element of destruction.

My advice, when building a home please check out the validity of the builder, the suppliers they use and make sure your materials are top of the line and is used properly (interior vs exterior). The house has been rectified thankfully.

Update, my drywall is still in tact, the trim as usual is separated but will change once the weather does. No visible signs and no leaks to date.

Lots of good info in this thread.

Quote Originally Posted by leftWNYbecauseofBS View Post
    Lots of good info in this thread.
    I agree, everyone has brought great insight to various issues that can plague a homeowner. In my opinion, the first place to look when building is to contact the building inspector in the town a new homeowner is interested in. Also check with the Better Business Bureau as well.

Quote Originally Posted by shortstuff View Post
    In reviewing this thread, now it's 2016 and my deck is still stained permanently. The next option come spring is to get a commercial power washing company to do the decking.

A neighbor of ours this past summer had a terrible situation happen to their decking and beams on the exterior of their house. It appeared to have been the same issue-architectural flaw and poor materials. The builder used interior wood not fit for the exterior weather related elements. The beams deteriorated, causing the upper deck to almost collapse, creating leaking into the house damaging drywall etc. Same element of destruction.

My advice, when building a home please check out the validity of the builder, the suppliers they use and make sure your materials are top of the line and is used properly (interior vs exterior). The house has been rectified thankfully.

Update, my drywall is still in tact, the trim as usual is separated but will change once the weather does. No visible signs and no leaks to date.
    Was that Ferry?

Georgia L Schlager

Anyone have any information to share on the use of LVL beams for outdoor construction purposes? Guess what, our LVL beams are deteriorating and we are having the same issues with our upper deck.

Does anyone also know of any contractor who can restore and replace the LVL's as I am concerned about the upper deck collapsing????

Quote Originally Posted by shortstuff View Post
    Anyone have any information to share on the use of LVL beams for outdoor construction purposes? Guess what, our LVL beams are deteriorating and we are having the same issues with our upper deck.

Does anyone also know of any contractor who can restore and replace the LVL's as I am concerned about the upper deck collapsing????
    My understanding is that LVL should never be exposed to weather. They will deteriorate. Are these in fact exposed?

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread Information