Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Small water damage to drywall and wall trim

Tony Fracasso - Admin
    The joy of owning a home

So he continued to rip out more of the drywall and all the studs have mold, the floor stud decayed and now it turned out to a much larger project like major contractors.....

Happy New Year ----

Unbelievable -- I would like to know where the problem
    started and how much to fix..

Yeah, me too. My first question is how's the roof, the seals around the flashing and who screwed up your water barrier behind your siding....
    Let me articulate this for you:
    "I'm not locked in here with them. They're locked in here with me!!"
    HipKat's Blog

Update on the pending water problem. Well it still has not been rectified. The initial onset of this water problem was years ago. The fault goes back to an architectural flaw using wrong materials and not properly sided. The water has been a slow continual leak. We had a series of contractors out to verify the problem. Unfortunately, we cannot start the refurbishing of what will be a total re-do until the weather is consistently above 50 degrees. Cost to us is zero except when I have to repaint the work. So all in all even though this is an inconvenience, I'm going to have to settle for this as it is.

What a problem though.

HipKat, you are right, part of the problem is a screw up with the siding, lack of sheathing.

Project is done, the cost to the homeowner was a few thousand dollars but after all of this time we still have the darn leak. Except the leak has traveled to other spots so now we have to fix that. We found the best solution after all of the others like sheathing, vapor barrier shields, and flashing (sp) we found caulking actually sealed and filled in all the gaps that existed.

I know that there needs to be some gaps to allow airflow when building a house, but these gaps are a primary result of a huge problem.

Tony Fracasso - Admin
    Took 3 attempts to fix a leak in our new roof. 3rd fix worked.

Glad you got success!

Anyone have a good solvent I can use to remove caulk (clear)? What a mess these people made.

Depending on where it is, if it's accessible, I mean, best bet is to just use a sharp knife or thin scraper and remove it that way.
    HipKat's Blog

Thanks Hipkat, but I used Goo Gone and a wire brush and it did nothing! These people did such a terrible job--messy all over the place. Lacks total respect for peoples property. The caulk actually stained the flooring. Oh well, my next option is going to be power washing.

Unreal. That sucks.
    HipKat's Blog

Update a year later regarding the caulking on the exterior upper deck. Still there and I have been unable to remove the stains. Power washing did not help. What worked on *some level* is using a Kleenex and rub it out. I was able to remove some of it, but the stain appears to be permanent. So word of advice, if you have someone caulking -- make sure they clean it immediately.

The wall is still good, all new wood and studs so far the only thing that continues to happen is the separation of the joints where the baseboard is. All of you have given me some great advice, thank you for the support.

What color is the stain?

Its interesting that the caulk stained the deck boards. are the deck board wood? Pressure treated? coated with a stain? or are they that fake 'better than wood' stuff?

Powerwashing works when its a surface problem, for instance, the 'grey' you see on most wood surfaces is actually the surface of the wood rotting, when you powerwash that off, your exposing new wood.

Have you tried exterior commercial bleach?

How about sanding?

I find it odd that the caulk stained the wood, unless its some type of oil base commercial goop

Try some denatured alcohol

Or acetone.

Xylene might take it off too...

wash hands immediately after handling these products. DO NOT wear rubber gloves, acetone eats plastic.
    Willful ignorance is the downfall of every major empire in history.

"Political power grows out of the barrel of a gun." - Mao, 1938

Quote Originally Posted by FMD View Post
    What color is the stain?

Its interesting that the caulk stained the deck boards. are the deck board wood? Pressure treated? coated with a stain? or are they that fake 'better than wood' stuff?

Powerwashing works when its a surface problem, for instance, the 'grey' you see on most wood surfaces is actually the surface of the wood rotting, when you powerwash that off, your exposing new wood.

Have you tried exterior commercial bleach?

How about sanding?

I find it odd that the caulk stained the wood, unless its some type of oil base commercial goop

Try some denatured alcohol

Or acetone.

Xylene might take it off too...

wash hands immediately after handling these products. DO NOT wear rubber gloves, acetone eats plastic.
    Well the decking is that plastic type decking that requires no maintenance. It is light gray and so is the house. I believe it is commercial grade, it left behind a dark dirty looking discoloration. We did use acetone and other products of harsh nature. It simply will not come out. What is most frustrating about this application, it appears dirty all the time. Oh well.

Thanks for the advice FMD. I will try anything-I hate it

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread Information