Thread: Lancaster acted irresponsibly on police building project asserts resident

Lancaster acted irresponsibly on police building project asserts resident

Lancaster acted irresponsibly on police building project asserts resident

Lee Chowaniec
    Addressing his comments to Councilman Mark Aquino at the recent Lancaster Town Board meeting, resident Henry Gull declared he would like to rebut some of the comments Aquino made at the previous meeting regarding the police facility project.

“I will debate you here, before this board, not outside as you suggested at the last meeting,” said Gull.

Gull stated that prior to the purchase of the Colecraft Building the town contracted Trautman & Associates on May 19, 2003 to perform feasibility study. The feasibility study took place 42 days after the purchase of the Walden Avenue Colecraft Building.

Councilman Aquino interrupted Gull and asked when the closing of the purchase sale took place. “Do you understand what the difference is between a purchase contract and a closing,” Aquino asked Gull. “The closing took place in July. May is before July.”

Gull: “So what’s your point?”

Aquino: “My point is your saying this (study) was done after the purchase, it was done before the purchase. The contract was in place, then the study was commissioned, then we closed. Those are the facts.

Gull: “It’s in the Town of Lancaster minutes, on page 345.”

Aquino: “You are saying wrong things again. It was closed in July of 2003. I can get the deed for you tomorrow.”
    I don't think anyone is denying when the closing was. The board adopted a $1.93 million Bond resolution for the use of acquiring the property at 3949 Walden on April 28, 2003.

PLEASE TAKE NOTICE that on April 28, 2003, the Town Board of the>>
    Town of Lancaster, in the County of Erie, New York, adopted a bond resolution entitled:>>
    "Bond Resolution of the Town of Lancaster, New York,>>
    adopted April 28, 2003, authorizing the acquisition of a>>
    parcel of real property located at 3949 Walden Avenue,>>
    consisting of approximately 8 acres, and the existing>>
    building thereon, including construction of improvement>>
    therein, to be used for general Town purposes, stating the>>
    estimated total cost thereof is $1,930,000, appropriating>>
    said amount therefor, and authorizing the issuance of>>
    $1,930,000 serial bonds of said Town to finance said>>
    appropriation,"
    That sounds like a purchase to me.
    Again this is before the feasibility study. The stated purpose of the feasibility study was to
    conduct a feasibility study for potential locations for the Town of Lancaster Police Department which include; I) the former Colecraft Manufacturing facility on Walden Avenue, 2) the existing Village Municipal facility on Broadway and 3) a new facility. So they spend $7,500 to find the best location for a police facility after signing a purchase agreement resoluting to bond $1.9 million to acquire the Walden Ave property. So if there was an irrevocable contract, the town spent money irresponsibly.

Can't wait to read whether there was or was not a contingency contract in the next article.

Georgia L Schlager

Tony Fracasso - Admin
    My opinion is the deal was done to help someone get a building off their hands.

Its like Supervisor Giza answered when asked about LIDA Members getting paid - "None of us get paid - well some collect fees - well maybe some get compensated - we appoint members - but the Town Board has no authority over who gets appointed - well the Town Attorney can explain the mumbo jumbo about why legally we can say these things"

Its all a big word game with these elected opportunists - Bob Giza has made a career for himself and others - complete with Cadillac pensions and life time health care - these people live off tax dollars and developers "Good Will" - why let a little thing like facts get in the way?
    #Dems play musical chairs + patronage and nepotism = entitlement !

We all know that this deal smells funny from the get go. I believe Mr. Giza knew very well Mr. Benzel's position with the Colecraft building and that right there is a "conflict of interest." Mr. Benzel & Mr. Giza have been friends since childhood. Both men serve on the LIDA board.

I too cannot wait for the final result whether there was a contingency or not. It should come out and be known and Mr. Giza should be removed from the LIDA chair position. I also feel that this Colecraft diabolical should be exposed and used in this campaign to reveal the facts.

Quote Originally Posted by shortstuff View Post
    We all know that this deal smells funny from the get go. I believe Mr. Giza knew very well Mr. Benzel's position with the Colecraft building and that right there is a "conflict of interest." Mr. Benzel & Mr. Giza have been friends since childhood. Both men serve on the LIDA board.

I too cannot wait for the final result whether there was a contingency or not. It should come out and be known and Mr. Giza should be removed from the LIDA chair position. I also feel that this Colecraft diabolical should be exposed and used in this campaign to reveal the facts.
    Read Lee and Henry Gull's article-
    Lancaster acted irresponsibly on police building project asserts resident, Part II: ContingencyLee Chowaniec & Henry Gull
    Lancaster Councilman Mark Aquino, for whatever reason, has taken it upon himself to declare the town acted responsibly with the purchase of the 3949 Walden Avenue Colecraft Building and during the eight year delay where numerous feasibility studies were conducted and the cost of the project skyrocketed by the millions.
    http://www.speakupwny.com/article_4602.shtml

From what I understand from reading the article, all contingencies were addressed long before the results of the feasibility study. So, as a non-legal eagle, I'll pose this question. If all contingencies were satisfied prior to any results of the feasibility study, wouldn't the town have been legally locked into the purchase without anyway of opting out?

Lee and Hank did an excellent job proving Aquino's letter as a fallacy.

Georgia L Schlager

It's no wonder that our democratic town board can't balance a budget without raising taxes.

Look at the balance of their local political committee.

LANCASTER DEMOCRATIC COMMITTEE

2011 July Periodic Report Summary Page

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Opening Balance -$30,503.05
    Contributions $8,940.00
    Miscellaneous Receipts $3,151.00

Total Receipts $12,091.00
    Total Expenses $4,334.52

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Closing Balance -$22,746.57

Report Date 09/07/11 05:09:07

Georgia L Schlager

Quote Originally Posted by gorja View Post
    It's no wonder that our democratic town board can't balance a budget without raising taxes.

Look at the balance of their local political committee.
    Wow gorja, that is a big deficit. Not only are they in the "hole" but the word is out that the democrats are throwing Double Dipping Donna under the bus! Big fighting going on with that party because T. Mc Cracken is not doing his job and is campaigning to be the next Erie County Legislature.

Politics in Lancaster, I noticed the re-tread signs too, they should read "re-elect" not "elect" but what do I know.

Quote Originally Posted by shortstuff View Post
    Wow gorja, that is a big deficit. Not only are they in the "hole" but the word is out that the democrats are throwing Double Dipping Donna under the bus! Big fighting going on with that party because T. Mc Cracken is not doing his job and is campaigning to be the next Erie County Legislature.

Politics in Lancaster, I noticed the re-tread signs too, they should read "re-elect" not "elect" but what do I know.
    Even if the Democratic Party is in shambles, they still have to be better than that disasterous local Republican Party with their dufus Chairman Bobby Matt. Who has lost every election he has ever been involved in. As far as many are concerned, there is no existing Republican Party in Lancaster.

If you don't believe me...They're running a Democrat "Democrats for Case".

Ronny/Nick: People from your own Party are backing Karen Case....
    People vote for the candidate, not the Party.

I have to agree that in the past, the Lancaster Republican Party was to say the least a "mess". Say what you will about Bob Matthews but he is the reason the Committee is now very successful and the reason the Dems will lose this election.

Thread Information