Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Michelle Obama's comments under fire

Michelle Obama's comments under fire

So what do we all think of this? To me, it sounds like the honest opinion of an elitist snob who constitues pride in one's country as only related to one's personal success. But I'm a Clinton supporter, so what do I know? My opinion can't possibly matter.
    It's an unfortunate flub, but will the media treat her with the same equal rights they gave Bill Clinton when he spoke out in his wife's behalf on the campaign trail? Stay tuned!

"Michelle Obama's comments under fire

By Jill Lawrence, USA TODAY
    "Michelle Obama, wife of Democratic presidential candidate Barack Obama, is taking heat for saying Monday at a Milwaukee rally that "for the first time in my adult lifetime, I am really proud of my country — and not just because Barack has done well, but because I think people are hungry for change."
    Among the critics: Cindy McCain, wife of GOP candidate John McCain. "I don't know about you, if you heard those words earlier. I'm very proud of my country," she said Tuesday in Brookfield, Wis.

"She sure seems to have a non-trivial chip on her shoulder," Mickey Kaus wrote at the liberal online magazine Slate.

Among conservatives, National Review's Jim Geraghty called the remark "strikingly ungracious." John Podhoretz at Commentary said it reflects a view that America is "only occasionally good."

Obama defended his wife on Texas radio. "What she meant was, this is the first time that she's been proud of the politics of America," he said. "She has seen large numbers of people get involved in the process, and she's encouraged." "

This is just another desperate attempt by the Clinton camp to twist words. I think her intention was clear. It was to me anyway, and I'm not an Obama supporter. This is just nasty (and irrelevant) politics.
    “Never doubt that the work of a small group of thoughtful committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has.” - Margaret Mead

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Miller
    This is just another desperate attempt by the Clinton camp to twist words. I think her intention was clear. It was to me anyway, and I'm not an Obama supporter. This is just nasty (and irrelevant) politics.
    Then what do you think her intention was?
    She said "for the first time in my adult life I'm proud of my country... because hope is making a comeback."
    What other context is there? She's proud, for the first time as an adult, that her country is 'hopeful' again, because her husband is running for president.
    As if her hubby is the Messiah who is the only one who could bring something as natural and unmeasurable as hope to this country in decades.
    Also, FYI, the Clinton camp has stayed quiet on this... it's Cindy McCain on the attack.

Her intent was to support the enthusiasm her husband seems to be creating, not to imply that she wasn't proud of the country. She's not a professional politician so she should be forgiving the sin of omitting a word or two of clarification. This is a long and stressful campaign on all participants. I hate that we have to listen to all this petty garbage. And McCain's wife is just as guilty for buying into it.
    “Never doubt that the work of a small group of thoughtful committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has.” - Margaret Mead

But she did not omit a word, she included one.
    It's a flub, yes. But why don't both campaigns get treated to equal criticism?

You'd have to ask the mass media on that one. It appears as if their agendas are showing!

Quote Originally Posted by buffaloagain
    Then what do you think her intention was?
    She said "for the first time in my adult life I'm proud of my country... because hope is making a comeback."
    What other context is there? She's proud, for the first time as an adult, that her country is 'hopeful' again, because her husband is running for president.
    As if her hubby is the Messiah who is the only one who could bring something as natural and unmeasurable as hope to this country in decades.
    Also, FYI, the Clinton camp has stayed quiet on this... it's Cindy McCain on the attack.
    Are you seriously trying to say that there's benn much to even BE proud of??
    The world hates us.
    We don't take care of our own people.
    Our infrastructure is falling apart.
    We've been in several pointlesswars in her lifetime.
    Racism is still an issue.
    Poverty is still an issue.....
    our leaders are corrupt, so tell me, where was she wrong?
    Let me articulate this for you:
    "I'm not locked in here with them. They're locked in here with me!!"
    HipKat's Blog

Much Ado about Hillary Making a Comeback

Clinton campaign in a tail spin, must grab unto something. Ah let's go after his wife.

Gimmie a break! and McCain's wife, I didn't know the museum piece could speak.

She (Mrs. Obama) spoke from her heart, unlike Hillary, got caught up in the moment of her husband's probable ascendancy while the Clinton campaign tries to make her look unpatriotic. My God! Does this mean we now have to go back and uncover every speech Hillary made and view her patriotism or lack there of? What a deplorable campaign. No wonder she's losing.

I think this shows some of the inexperience of the Obama camp.

I think she would have been just fine in saying "For the first time in a long time, I am really proud of my country" she would have been fine.

Her job is Vice President for Community and External Affairs at University of Chicago Hospitals. Being in that position, she should have been able to craft her words.

She is also 44 years old. That is 26 years of her adult life going back to 1982. To say that you have not been proud of your country for 26 years is a very bad thing.

Heck, HC is running based on her experience as the 1st lady. While I do not think this means it qualifies her to be President, the position is a public figure and needs to represent the US. Blunders like this are not acceptable. Regardless of party affiliation.

Quote Originally Posted by leftWNYbecauseofBS
    Blunders like this are not acceptable. Regardless of party affiliation.
    Are we getting a little dramatic here? Yes, she's a professional women, but not a professional politician. To gauge every word and to weigh every sentence in front of millions of people for a novice is incredible. I think we cut her some slack. BTW, please don't give me McCain, I'd rather vote for Hillary, the man dishonors veterans by his mere presence.

Quote Originally Posted by CSense
    Are we getting a little dramatic here? Yes, she's a professional women, but not a professional politician. To gauge every word and to weigh every sentence in front of millions of people for a novice is incredible. I think we cut her some slack. BTW, please don't give me McCain, I'd rather vote for Hillary, the man dishonors veterans by his mere presence.
    So when does the slack end. After a year in the White House? Her profession is PUBLIC RELATIONS. If she was a doctor or a CFO or something that has no contact with the media, that is one thing. But her job is to speak with the media.

Quote Originally Posted by HipKat
    Are you seriously trying to say that there's benn much to even BE proud of??
    The world hates us.
    We don't take care of our own people.
    Our infrastructure is falling apart.
    We've been in several pointlesswars in her lifetime.
    Racism is still an issue.
    Poverty is still an issue.....
    our leaders are corrupt, so tell me, where was she wrong?

So, okay. I'm trying to get into the mind of an Obama supporter-- a terrifying experience, but nonetheless, I'm curious.
    So, Obama supporters are people who saw ABSOLUTELY NOTHING TO BE PROUD ABOUT over the last 25-30 years. And are all of a sudden "inspired" to go out and change... something. And only people who have been in Washington less than 5 years can participate. Unless your name is Kerry or Kennedy.
    I have to admit, there is a lot about America to be ashamed of. But there have been many times in our recent history that have made me incredibly proud to be a part of my people. For every human rights violation in our country, every bit of the politics of fear, there are movements, and true heroes. I walk around draped in the flag constantly, but just off the top of my head, people who would run into a firey building to save their fellow people, or, I don't know, drive the plane they are on into the ground in order to save a far greater number of lives... that's something to feel inspired about, pride for, in the American people.

Personally, anyone who picked that statement apart is friggin' gay.
    I mean, seriously, is that ALL you have to grasp onto??
    How petty.
    It's embarrassing for anyone who thinks that comment that she made even deserves a second's notice.
    I'd love to be a fly on a wall, just so I could record everytime any of you ever said anything, even remotely negative, about this country.
    About this Government.
    About anything.

Give me a break!
    Let me articulate this for you:
    "I'm not locked in here with them. They're locked in here with me!!"
    HipKat's Blog

Quote Originally Posted by HipKat
    Personally, anyone who picked that statement apart is friggin' gay.
    I mean, seriously, is that ALL you have to grasp onto??
    How petty.
    It's embarrassing for anyone who thinks that comment that she made even deserves a second's notice.
    I'd love to be a fly on a wall, just so I could record everytime any of you ever said anything, even remotely negative, about this country.
    About this Government.
    About anything.

Give me a break!
    Do you expect to be taken seriously?
    First of all, your homophobia is as offensive as your candidate's homophobia.
    Secondly, I am not running for the highest elected office in this country. Welcome to the world of having everything about you-- every word, every mood and how you express it, every view, every relationship-- analyzed anally, Michelle.
    You guys say nothing because you have nothing. You have yet to respond to the paragraph of criticisms I wrote about Barack in the "Not Inspiring" thread. That Raoul did, but all he did was call them "dumb."
    It's the lack of substance that's going to help you guys loose to the Republicans in November, again. And it'll be the hysterical irony: Kerry had too much substance in 2004, and that helped him loose. Barack will have none in 2008, and that will help him loose.

"loose"????....what is that???

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information