Page 1 of 20 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Do you want a new Town Ice Facility?

Unregistered

Do you want a new Town Ice Facility?

Their currently is a proposal to build and lease/manage a brand new Ice Arena at the current Nike Base site. This proposal would bring a facility that has 2 rinks and a very large indoor field house for soccer and lacrosse (among other things).

I can't get into the money end of this just yet because of some confidentiality issues. All I'm asking is, if you could have this and have effectively no tax increase to do it, would you want it for our town?

is private money going to build it

is this private money or tax money and can it break even or make a profit. that should be looked into first
    One good thing about growing old is your secrets are safe with your friends they can't remember them either

wrong town

I know this is the wrong town for me but Op is looking into large rec items also and money is the big question always
    One good thing about growing old is your secrets are safe with your friends they can't remember them either

Tony Fracasso - Admin
    Quote Originally Posted by FJB
    Their currently is a proposal to build and lease/manage a brand new Ice Arena at the current Nike Base site. This proposal would bring a facility that has 2 rinks and a very large indoor field house for soccer and lacrosse (among other things).

I can't get into the money end of this just yet because of some confidentiality issues. All I'm asking is, if you could have this and have effectively no tax increase to do it, would you want it for our town?
    If I was a hamburg tax payer I would ask them to drop the idea. Let a private company open one up.

You do realize they give people positions in local government's who kiss ass. Even ones not qualified for positions given. Why risk tax payer money on something like this?

There will be more town employees to pay for along with all the cost that go with them. If someone wants to play soccor or hockey let them pay for it themselves.

IF there would be no tax increase by adding the building what would be the TAX DECREASE BY NOT opening it up in the first place? I'd take a property tax discount long before paying for sports complex.

Let the people who are going to use it pay for it! I am getting tired of having to please a few and pay for everything. I say, keep streets clean and the schools safe and the kids in line and we will all be happy!

Unregistered
    Quote Originally Posted by WNYresident
    If I was a hamburg tax payer I would ask them to drop the idea. Let a private company open one up.

IF there would be no tax increase by adding the building what would be the TAX DECREASE BY NOT opening it up in the first place? I'd take a property tax discount long before paying for sports complex.
    The issue of money is the hang up right now. If the deal works as planned it would effectively be paid for by private funds. The way it would work within the town is tricky because the town can't legally sell off the property without state legislature approval. So the town would still own the property but the lease/management company would pay the mortgage/bond to build the property. At the end of the contract the town would effectively own a beautiful complex and it wouldn't cost the tax payers a dime. I can't reveal the numbers because of the confidentiality issues. I am simply wondering if town residents would want a big recreational complex if it didn't cost them a penny?

The issue of money is the hang up right now. If the deal works as planned it would effectively be paid for by private funds. The way it would work within the town is tricky because the town can't legally sell off the property without state legislature approval. So the town would still own the property but the lease/management company would pay the mortgage/bond to build the property. At the end of the contract the town would effectively own a beautiful complex and it wouldn't cost the tax payers a dime. I can't reveal the numbers because of the confidentiality issues. I am simply wondering if town residents would want a big recreational complex if it didn't cost them a penny?
    Will there be a public meeting on this issue?

Unregistered
    Quote Originally Posted by PaulJonson
    Will there be a public meeting on this issue?
    I'm sure their will be eventually. The town can't do something like this without one. I think the rec advisory board meetings are open to the public. The next meeting is this coming Tuesday Feb 19th at 5:30pm at the rec offices next to the ice rink. I think this will be a hot topic at the meeting so you should come and watch.

all for it

I like the idea. Even if it does come with a tax increase. I hope it is like Jamestown or the Pepsi Center. Hamburg can then host Tournaments which will bring in players and their families. (and I won't have to drive all over NYS ) Get it built.

Tony Fracasso - Admin
    Nope... won't end up working that way. Never does.

Let them buy what ever property they need to use and NOT have town property involved period. Now one is going to build a building and then give it away...

Ok I have a couple questions on this:
    1. I know the old Nike base is very old. Is it cheaper to build a new one than to make improvemnts to the old one?
    2. Are they going to build in the same spot? Most of the area around the ice rink is used with baseball diamonds & soccer fields
    3. Are my taxes going to go up? I very rarely go to the ice rink. I think there should be a vote on it. I am sure it will not be cheap. Isnt there a rule that says if something is going to cost over a certain amount it has to be voted on by the residents?
    Ability is what you're capable of doing. Motivation determines what you can do. Attitude determines how well you can do it. - Lou Holtz

Unregistered
    Quote Originally Posted by FIRELADY
    Ok I have a couple questions on this:
    1. I know the old Nike base is very old. Is it cheaper to build a new one than to make improvemnts to the old one?
    2. Are they going to build in the same spot? Most of the area around the ice rink is used with baseball diamonds & soccer fields
    3. Are my taxes going to go up? I very rarely go to the ice rink. I think there should be a vote on it. I am sure it will not be cheap. Isnt there a rule that says if something is going to cost over a certain amount it has to be voted on by the residents?
    1.) One sheet of ice will never make enough money to be self suffcient. So no it's not any cheeper to fix what we altready have.

2.)The plans show the current rink in the same spot. A second rink would be built on the front of the property but still connected to the building. The field house would be to the left side if looking from the street. Their would be a large lower lobby, almost triple the dressing rooms and a huge upper lobby/banquet hall.

The parking lot would have to be extended more towards the street.

3.) The only way taxes would ever go up is if the lease/management company defalts on the contract. Then the town would get stuck with the cost of the facility until a new company came in.

Here we go,no cost to the taxpayer oh boy.That means watch out taxpayer,you will get it in the end.

Tony Fracasso - Admin
    Quote Originally Posted by GRANDPOOBA
    Here we go,no cost to the taxpayer oh boy.That means watch out taxpayer,you will get it in the end.
    EXACTLY

3.) The only way taxes would ever go up is if the lease/management company defalts on the contract. Then the town would get stuck with the cost of the facility until a new company came in.
    May I ask who is the person who brought this up?

Let them buy the property and pay the taxes on that property. Let them build the sports complex and reap the rewards/loss.

Just another patronage pit. Most people in hamburg have cars and can easily drive to other ice rinks if they want to skate or what ever.

I have clients in Hamburg and I see no reason to burden them with added expenses.

Unregistered
    Quote Originally Posted by WNYresident
    Let them buy the property and pay the taxes on that property. Let them build the sports complex and reap the rewards/loss.
    You're missing the point Res. NYS law prohibits a township from selling off recreational property without the state legislature approving the sale first. It's next to impossible to get the dems in the state legislature to approve the sale of a patronage pit. So the only way to privatise this is with a lease management contract. So no matter what happens the town will still own the property.

Page 1 of 20 12311 ... LastLast

Thread Information