Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Higgins proposes community ownership for Bills

Quote Originally Posted by sharky
    because thanks to estate taxes even if his heirs want to keep it the tax bill will be so much that the only way to pay the tax will be to sell the team
    Very true, I think I heard somewhere that the estate tax is upwards to 70%

Just another tax we don't discuss here where our government is getting money hand-over-fist at our expense. Even in death!!!!!!

Originally I think the Ralph had a capability of 80,200 screaming fans. Then they remodeled to add the luxury boxes, etc. The capacity was reduced to 74,000. At $50 a seat, that translates to $4 million/year. Did the luxury boxes bring in that much ?

I wonder if looking back that it would have been better to just leave it alone ?
    To me, watching football from one of those luxury boxes isn't football at all.

At any rate, the Green Bay deal was not favored by the NFL owners and they passed rules against doing similar things in the future. So in order to do something like that in Buffalo, I think it will take congressional action such as subjecting the NFL to rules that other corporations have.

Let's face it - sports figures are just plain mercenaries any more and they don't have any sense of allienance to any city in particular. Neither do the owners, I guess.
    It's not enough that we do our best; sometimes we have to do what's required. (Sir Winston Churchill)

Nice thought, Brian, but the NFL put a stop to that years ago, holding Green Bay as the only team that's publicly owned...
    Let me articulate this for you:
    "I'm not locked in here with them. They're locked in here with me!!"
    HipKat's Blog

Quote Originally Posted by sharky
    because thanks to estate taxes even if his heirs want to keep it the tax bill will be so much that the only way to pay the tax will be to sell the team
    Or donate the team to Erie county and then it becomes a charitable write off to his estate? His heirs have enough money from Ralph's other businesses. He could will it to his wife, tax free, but she supposedly doesn't want to have the team. She could own it and have others run it for her.

Quote Originally Posted by DR_GONZO
    I thought since our taxes fund this cretin and his profit, this was already a community ownership? Our elected political filth don't seem to understand that our money is NOT enough. This new county leader moron even went as far as to suggest maybe a new stadium on the waterfront! Yeah that WON'T work!!! Ticket prices will continue to spiral out of control until the NFL falls on it's own sword and the fan base is solely the corporate elite. Don't waste my tax dollars on this crap! Yeah, let's close up waterfront property for all but eight days a year for football. At least there will be an enormous empty parking lot or ramp or both to stare at when driving by the 'new' waterfront. Who elected these idiots?
    Dumb Ass.

Collins said IF a new stadium were built, he would build it on the water and downtown. Just as it should have been done the first time.

Ticket prices are not out of control. You just might be poor. Going to an NFL game is a luxury and not a right. There are plenty of people who can afford to do that luxury @ $75.00 a pop. They may not be your kind but the exist.

In terms of using up valuable land on the water, STADIUMS ACT AS CATALYSTS. That is why in every major sport they are being built downtown unless the downtown does not need the help.

In terms of who elected them....a HUGE MAJORITY elected Collins and one of the key issues of his campaign was to keep the Bills in town. You are just on the wrong side of the majority guy.

Quote Originally Posted by bflonum1fan
    Originally I think the Ralph had a capability of 80,200 screaming fans. Then they remodeled to add the luxury boxes, etc. The capacity was reduced to 74,000. At $50 a seat, that translates to $4 million/year. Did the luxury boxes bring in that much ?

• In 2005 - The Bills sold 71,906 per game and a LOT of those tickets were purchased by companies.
    • In 2006 - The Bills sold 67,646 per game.
    • In 2007 - The Bills sold 71,054 per game.

This is with the LOWEST or SECOND lowest ticket prices in the NFL. So yes, getting luxury box money up front and at a higher rate is better business.

I wonder if looking back that it would have been better to just leave it alone ? To me, watching football from one of those luxury boxes isn't football at all.

Matter of taste and opinion. The difference is, do you buy or pay for tickets to every game? A luxury box is paid in full before the year or contracted to be paid in full.

At any rate, the Green Bay deal was not favored by the NFL owners and they passed rules against doing similar things in the future. So in order to do something like that in Buffalo, I think it will take congressional action such as subjecting the NFL to rules that other corporations have.

Never going to happen. Green Bay sells tickets for $20 more per game AND has a waiting list up to 18 years to get in. They sell out every game. With the profit sharing rules in the NFL, no way in hell are they going to share profits with a team owned by fans in Buffalo who can not sell out 100% with the lowest or second lowest ticket prices in the league.

Let's face it - sports figures are just plain mercenaries any more and they don't have any sense of allienance to any city in particular. Neither do the owners, I guess.
    This is true. But keeping the Bills is an option.

If they are to stay, there will need to be a new owner. IF that new owner wants to keep them in Buffalo, a set plan needs to be put in place. Then let the voters vote on it.

Quote Originally Posted by bflonum1fan

I wonder if looking back that it would have been better to just leave it alone ?
    To me, watching football from one of those luxury boxes isn't football at all.

NFL rules dictate that the owner gets 100% of the revenue from luxury seating. They must split revenue from general seating with the "Away" team.

That is why they put such an emphasis on luxury boxes.

Quote Originally Posted by Enough
    NFL rules dictate that the owner gets 100% of the revenue from luxury seating. They must split revenue from general seating with the "Away" team.

That is why they put such an emphasis on luxury boxes.
    Pretty much everything outside of luxury boxes goes in a 70% pool.

Owners keep 30% of most revenue and 100% of luxury boxes.

leftWNYbecauseofBS, nice response to start to your post.

Didn't the moderators warn against this crap? Maybe you should be banned if you can't post without slander.

Collins said IF
    thanks for repeating what I stated, 'even went as far as to suggest maybe'

Ticket prices are not out of control
    Look at the prices of other teams' seats and where those prices are going. That's insane. If the owners had complete control, there would only be corporate suites. But they still love the extra gravy from merchandise sales. That is why they still have seats for the peasants.

That is why in every major sport they are being built downtown unless the downtown does not need the help.
    Sorry but using waterfront property to build a football stadium for overpaid, prima donna, players and owners is a huge waste of space and taxpayer funding.

one of the key issues of his campaign was to keep the Bills in town
    Yeah great, raise taxes to give more taxpayer handouts to a rich owner of a football team. Bottom line, the fans' money is not enough for this owner. He pretty much stated it himself that he turned over every rock in WNY. Collins and the rest of the political folk don't seem to understand where the NFL is headed. They don't want peanuts. They want gold. If is not in Buffalo, they just as well get that burden out of here and move it to a city with deeper pockets. Fans to them, are $ symbols. Just look at the majority who attend a super bowl game.

You are just on the wrong side of the majority guy.
    That depends how you look at, Ace.

leftWNYbecauseofBS, nice response to start to your post.

Didn't the moderators warn against this crap? Maybe you should be banned if you can't post without slander.

Dumb ass...It is ok for you to call people morons and filth but can not be called a dumb ass. Yea that makes sense. Also, Slander is an untruthful oral (spoken) statement about a person. Since it is the truth in you being a dumb ass, it is not slander.

Look at the prices of other teams' seats and where those prices are going. That's insane. If the owners had complete control, there would only be corporate suites. But they still love the extra gravy from merchandise sales. That is why they still have seats for the peasants.

The only insane thing is $40 ticket prices. This is 2008 and this is the NFL. I suggest you pick up a more affordable hobby that fits your income. But because it does not fit your income, or most of the current ticket holders, does not mean it is insane. You simply can not afford it. Big difference.

Sorry but using waterfront property to build a football stadium for overpaid, prima donna, players and owners is a huge waste of space and taxpayer funding.

Yea and the CURRENT PLAN FOR THE WATERFRONT is working so well. Just what has been done in the last 50 years guy....
    A domed stadium downtown would do more for the city in 8 weekends then the ENTIRE historical ditch project in a year. Bringing one Super Bowl to Buffalo, which would be a lock with a new dome, would do more for the city then the life of historical tourism.
    Gee, build new housing next to the freaking PERRY PROJECTS or a state of the art dome. Yea..that is a hard call.

Yeah great, raise taxes to give more taxpayer handouts to a rich owner of a football team. Bottom line, the fans' money is not enough for this owner. He pretty much stated it himself that he turned over every rock in WNY. Collins and the rest of the political folk don't seem to understand where the NFL is headed. They don't want peanuts. They want gold. If is not in Buffalo, they just as well get that burden out of here and move it to a city with deeper pockets. Fans to them, are $ symbols. Just look at the majority who attend a super bowl game.

That depends how you look at, Ace.
    Pull your head out of your ass, stop sucking on the lemon and READ. Nobody has laid out a single plan for how anything should or would be paid for. Yet you ASSume that it will be a taxpayer handout.
    Bottom line, fans like you are too cheap compared to other fans in the NFL. People love to brag about how good the Bills fans are but yet they still have trouble in selling out with the cheapest prices.
    Ralph has turned over ever rock FOR AN OPEN AIR STADIUM in the middle of OP. Big difference between the Ralph and a dome. Read more to see why ACE.
    Look, just because you can not longer afford them does not make them out priced. I bet there are a lot of things you can not afford but do you get this upset over all of them?

Where in any of my posts did I state I was a fan? You waste your money on what you want. My taxes should not be used as a handout to stroke rich owners when they want more money.

Where in any of my posts did I state I was a fan? You waste your money on what you want. My taxes should not be used as a handout to stroke rich owners when they want more money.
    Sweet. So until there are numbers released you need to STFU.

Also, when the numbers are released and if the public goes along, you need to STFU.

Better yet, stop waiting for the conditions and just STFU.

Mr. Wilson said on ch.4 nes a few days ago people are leaveing Buffalo no jobs nothing is there no future.Well take this team and go old man.If any fans want to keep this team can move with them no big deal.Like Wilson said Buffalo is the armpit of NY state.

Quote Originally Posted by S.Walters
    .Like Wilson said Buffalo is the armpit of NY state.

apparently you've never been to utica or binghamton...not to mention a smaller ghost town like elmira ........walters...you continue to amaze us with your stupidity....

Yes I have seen these rinky dink towns,so what I was not talking about them.I only said what Mr.Wilson said about Buffalo,but maybe one of these dinky towns might want the Bills I say no.

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread Information