Thread: Volunteer Fire

Volunteer Fire

Do the people in this town realize that there are volunteer fireman out there that are using a public paid for vehicle and don't even own their own car? They don't pay for gas, insurance, maintenance etc. This has got to stop.

Quote Originally Posted by Stick View Post
    Do the people in this town realize that there are volunteer fireman out there that are using a public paid for vehicle and don't even own their own car? They don't pay for gas, insurance, maintenance etc. This has got to stop.
    Do you mean the Fire Chiefs?

The very people that drop what they are doing for free to save your a$$ when your house is on fire or to pry you from a burning wrecked vehicle?

I would be more concerned about the outlandish fire halls being built everywhere than the vehicles and equipment they need to do their VOLUNTEER job to serve the public.

Maybe you would prefer paid Firefighters, then you would really be screaming about the costs $$$$$$$

Quote Originally Posted by Tangodown View Post
    Do you mean the Fire Chiefs?

The very people that drop what they are doing for free to save your a$$ when your house is on fire or to pry you from a burning wrecked vehicle?

I would be more concerned about the outlandish fire halls being built everywhere than the vehicles and equipment they need to do their VOLUNTEER job to serve the public.

Maybe you would prefer paid Firefighters, then you would really be screaming about the costs $$$$$$$
    Thank you for pointing these things out to Stick here! We are very lucky to have people living in our communities that are willing to volunteer to sacrifice their time and very lives so that others can be assured that their home, family and possessions are being protected in the best manner possible. Thank you to all the volunteers! I am very pleased with the sacrifice that you make to keep me and mine safe.
    **free is a trademark of the current U.S. government.

Quote Originally Posted by mikenold View Post
    Thank you for pointing these things out to Stick here! We are very lucky to have people living in our communities that are willing to volunteer to sacrifice their time and very lives so that others can be assured that their home, family and possessions are being protected in the best manner possible. Thank you to all the volunteers! I am very pleased with the sacrifice that you make to keep me and mine safe.
    Are you one of those individuals that sleep all night with your families, and dont leave your family gatherings to assist your fellow neighbors in time of need? I'm betting u are not.. What these guys receive is just a small " THANK YOU" for the time that they provide in your community....

Quote Originally Posted by BRS66 View Post
    Are you one of those individuals that sleep all night with your families, and dont leave your family gatherings to assist your fellow neighbors in time of need? I'm betting u are not.. What these guys receive is just a small " THANK YOU" for the time that they provide in your community....
    A very small thank you, indeed.

BTW: Most of these volunteers ask for nothing in return but are quite thankful for anything they get.
    **free is a trademark of the current U.S. government.

Tool. Obviously you haven't volunteered your time, otherwise you would understand the demands it takes, and would be thankful that they are there.

And, most companies have a clause in their by-laws that disallow the vehicles from being more than a certain distance away from the district, and they must be available to respond.

The cost of the apparatus, the station, and the operating expenses are very similar to a paid department. You lose the payroll costs with volunteers. Do you think a paid department chief would not have a vehicle? Actually, there would probably be more.

Not all depts have vehicles for all theirs chiefs. Only the head chief. And do you realize what we have to carry on these vehicles? Do you know what the vehicle and traffic law requires to be an emergency vehicle and how many lights need to be displayed? Yes some departments have gone a little too far and could cut back.

-

Volunteer Firemen have been beaten up upon from the source to the buffalo new and all in-between. I don’t know if you people realize that volunteer fire are trained by the Buffalo Fire Department at least it use to be. When I had taken the Firemen test back in 93 there were about 200 and half were volunteers for their local townships. Its not an easy job. Yes, often many are just waiting to get that call but what if that call comes in and lets say, two firemen were badly injured at that one fire don’t you think waiting around for that one call might be worth your support.

What I read is a lot of disrespect toward Volunteer Firemen and I believe the word Volunteer has been turned into something dirty on the contrary . These men work hard when the day calls for it. These men are always on call day in and day out. If these men get ay kind of pay its very small but mostly its on their own bill. Why do they become Volunteer Firemen, many have a family history based on this type of service, and if people would take a little out of their busy, time to stop by a Volunteer Fire House and learn there history would might find someone in your own family way back when was a Volunteer firemen.

One of my aunts daughters had married a man who started the South Line Fire House / Company and I didn’t know this until I uncovered the information during some of my research on my family. AS for newly built fire houses well, you can’t have good working equipment and place it inside a old broken down building. Fire Houses also function as the neighborhood icon to know you are safe with that house standing tall. They also function as a community function some houses will throw parties, rummage sales, etc…to help to fill in those small cavities of black holes where your money can help to fill up. Yes, I said fill up. Remember, what would you do when the next fire is your house but the Volunteer Fire House won’t come because you never supported there cause shall we allow this type of think to happen because you don’t like the Volunteer Firemen Service.

Before you smash mouth a community service think twice and learn about that service by visiting the House learn its history you may want to join. Yes, they need money doesn’t everyone what makes the Volunteer fire Service any different than your Government or your Utility company they all want your money. Before you buy that next HD TV or they newest Cell phone gadget spend a little on your local community Fire House and stop bitching about a job you have no clue about how they really function all people see is wasted money. I don’t like it when I see Cheektowaga police sitting in their cars behind building for more than an hour but I don’t post it on the Net I send an e-mail to the watch commander let him deal with it, I say to self. This way I’m not stressing myself out over something I have no control over.

So Stick, now that I have given you a full ear full of my opinion do yourself a favor, go to the fire house you’re speaking about and the person you are talking about and speak to him/her about your concerns you just may learn things you don’t know about or you may want to join the service.

Riven37
    _________
    All tyranny needs to gain a foothold is for people of good conscience to remain silent. Thomas Jefferson

Stck
    I would like to school you in some info about the fire sevice. I have been a volly ( Volunteer Firefighter ) for 16 years I was from downstate and moved up here to WNY. Lets just talk about the training that you have to go threw just to become an interior firefighter well now a days there is a 2 week boot camp that you can attend from 8 am 5 pm M-F. But when I took my course's I had to take 26 weeks twice a week tue-thur 7pm 10pm and then a weekend of hands on training at the fire academy to put everything that I had learned the last 26 weeks in to live fire simulations. So now every week once a week at my firehouse we have trainng weather it be how to remove a victim from a car or how to properly extinguish a house fire I go to trainning for 3-4 hrs a week. There are also federally mandated courses that I have to maintane as an interior firefighter every year that are 8-16 hrs. You no what I really love. What I do as a volly I love to help my neighbors when in need and If I can help someone in anyway all that trainning I have done in the past and future pays for it self no questions asked. I really love the people like yourself that have a problem with a Cheif of a Fire Department having a company car to drive to and from emergency calls leave his family at all hours of the day/night to lead his men/woman into any situation that shall arrise having all of there nessersary fire fighting and EMS equipment at the ready helps our community. I personally feel that all Cheifs should have cars, you dont see Police officers driving around in there personal vechicels responding to emergency situation, and I would not ask them to do that. Just remember when you see a cheifs car responding to a call think about what and where he may going to and remember they left his/her family to volunteer his time to help his community in ther company car. I really feel that I can go on and on about this subject but why do town board members need 50k trucks ? Dose his truck take him to a burning house fire or a lady having difficulty breathing. I dont think so.

Thread Information