Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I guess free cell phones are going to become the norm

Tony Fracasso - Admin

I guess free cell phones are going to become the norm

I guess free cell phones are going to become the norm

Not having a phone number is a huge impediment to finding a job. I think this is a good thing, and will help people get to work. Not to mention the positive effect it has on employment with the cell providers. And, since NYS can get a good deal with a large pool of devices, it works out to be a minimum investment, with a big return.

It's a win-win.
    Raptor Jesus: He went extinct for your sins.

We've spent it billions on it a year already... it hasn't helped!

You can spend $20 and get a cell phone at target... That means one less meal a month at McD's!
    "I know you guys enjoy reading my stuff because it all makes sense. "

Dumbest post ever! Thanks for the laugh PO!

Tony Fracasso - Admin
    Quote Originally Posted by NBuffaloResident View Post
    Not having a phone number is a huge impediment to finding a job. I think this is a good thing, and will help people get to work. Not to mention the positive effect it has on employment with the cell providers. And, since NYS can get a good deal with a large pool of devices, it works out to be a minimum investment, with a big return.

It's a win-win.
    Always an excuse.

We give too much away.

Add up all the drops here and there and before you know it you have a flood on your hands.

Tony Fracasso - Admin
    Quote Originally Posted by Dougles View Post
    We've spent it billions on it a year already... it hasn't helped!

You can spend $20 and get a cell phone at target... That means one less meal a month at McD's!
    One less carton of cigs....

3 less six packs...

Quote Originally Posted by NBuffaloResident View Post

It's a win-win.
    Typical...

Having a phone number is not equal to having a cell phone. Furthermore, having 250 minutes is not needed for people on welfare to get a job. The reason is the type of jobs they would most likely qualify for would not do phone interviews. Maybe scheduling an interview but not an actual phone interview. Going further, I did not read or hear anything about a requirement that someone on the PA plan needs to be looking for a job. What I did hear is they just need to be on welfare.

So BS! It is not a win-win. It is a big expense for some possible benefit.

If you were really looking to find a win-win, you would suggest that welfare participants would qualify for a free wired line. They would have the connectivity that you suggest that is so imperative and it would cost less than a cell phone. That is 1/2 of the potential win. The other half would come from people actually using landline services, that are becoming obsolete. That is the other 1/2 of the potential win.

Tony Fracasso - Admin
    I got a better idea..

A roll of quarters and a virtual voice answering machine.

Done.

Think about this. You give amnesty to 15,000,000 people. Lets say 10,000,000 of those people are on some form of help. 10,000,000 people qualify for "free" cell phones paid for by you and me.

10,000,000 cell phone accounts X (low ball figure) $25 a month given to the politically connected cell phone company = $250,000,000 million a month we are on the hook for.

I thought this thread was about the $3.1 million per job of publicly funded incentives being offered to Verizon to build a data facility in Niagara county. A bit ironic that it turned out to be a complaint about giving unemployed a $20/mo cell phone

Tony Fracasso - Admin
    Quote Originally Posted by nogods View Post
    I thought this thread was about the $3.1 million per job of publicly funded incentives being offered to Verizon to build a data facility in Niagara county. A bit ironic that it turned out to be a complaint about giving unemployed a $20/mo cell phone
    First off $3.1 mil a job is insane... BUT that didn't cost me anything. Yes they are not paying their share of the burden everyone else has in our community but that's where it ends...I don't like IDA's just giving incentives away like it's candy...

BUT it could be 10,000's of people getting cell phones who can hit the requirements.... each month.. It's not a $20 dollar cell phone to someone unemployed... It's adding another $200,000,000 or what ever the number could reach. You start adding up the millions and before you know it your TRILLONS IN DEBT.

Well I carried a Samsung for years, renewing every 3 mos. but mine was only because I can't walk far & if my car had trouble, I could call for help. Last month my time was up on it (over 800 minutes left). I had called for Safelink & it arrived, rather than pay $20 for minutes I'd never use. It's a neat little phone, but there again, I haven't used it & won't till I have to.
    Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.
    Plato

Could be also that you NEVER see pay phones anywhere these days. When I temped at a place that handled poor Medicaid patients years ago, they would always be calling from a payphone to confirm their appointments. So "poor" people with no home phones apparently have no payphones to use... Is that why they are giving away cell phones maybe? Because of how phone booths are now extinct?
    I'm just here to make people laugh. And to confuse people. Oh, and to irritate people.

Quote Originally Posted by Achbek1 View Post
    Could be also that you NEVER see pay phones anywhere these days. When I temped at a place that handled poor Medicaid patients years ago, they would always be calling from a payphone to confirm their appointments. So "poor" people with no home phones apparently have no payphones to use... Is that why they are giving away cell phones maybe? Because of how phone booths are now extinct?
    To answer your question. No.

Let's give these clowns a nice ride wif spinners and some thumping base so they can get to "work" once they get the job. Or we can give them a clothing allowance, a bus pass, some Subway Gift Cards (because they'll be more productive!), go to work for them, allow them more sick days than anyone else (so they can take care of their 8 children...), etc

Whatever we do, we can not teach them personal responsibility. We can't teach them to adapt and overcome. We must coddle them in order to keep them voting democrat. Remember, it's not their fault they don't have jobs, phones, 75 degree apartments in the winter, the latest flat screen tv, or any other luxuries those of us have that work hard and pay taxes actually have.

Its just another company perk. I mean why not the state keeps on giving to them why not just take. Do they get free text to because thats pretty cool.

Ok, I've read all your posts the good and the bad points. I have an elderly tenant who barely meets his needs. I buy him cheap cigs at the res when I go and he's grateful for the smokes and his free 250 minute cell phone. If it weren't for that free phone he'd have no phone in an emergency. No way of contacting agencies if he is in some kind of need. And, let me tell ya calling an agency eats them minutes up fast. Any-one on food stamps can get these phones. I also believe some one on Wefare can also get these phones. Times certaily have changed.
    But, They are a fact of life in these times we live in. A nesceity if you will like having t-paper.
    I have a cell phone it's one of them pay as you go. I pay 20.00 for a new trac phone and get 300 mins free. I'm usually dropping it at work so I change phones every 6 months. Not free just cheap.
    Peggy V

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information