Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Going into Canada

Going into Canada

What 3 forms of I.D. would one use to take a 15 and an 8 year old into Canada?

I sometimes wonder if political office should only be for only 6 months at a time and instead of elections, have a lottery or something. At least there would be a chance someone who asks the right questions would get into office once in a while.

Quote Originally Posted by wheresthesun
    Wow, you need 3 forms? I had my daughter take her birth certificate when she went to Canada. I would think a student ID card with a picture would be good. But a third one, no idea.
    Adopt an English Springer Spaniel.
    http://www.springerrescue.org
    "Striving to be the person
    that my dogs think I am"

www.BuffaloReUse.org

Following is an except from the Montreal Gazette:

"Ending the honour system at the border is an important security measure that is long overdue," she added, noting that between October 2004 and September 2007, more than 31,000 people falsely claimed U.S. citizenship.

These requirements are going ahead despite legislation approved by the U.S. Congress last month that prevented the Department of Homeland Security from implementing a post 9/11 regulation that would have required all travellers entering the U.S. to show a passport or similar secure form of identity and citizenship.

"We do expect to issue that rule in the coming weeks. Though we had anticipated implementing that this summer, Congress has delayed our ability to do so until summer of 2009."

Beginning Feb. 1, travellers entering the U.S. don't have to show a passport, although that is one form of acceptable ID. Kudwa says adults 19 and older will have to show proof of identity and proof of citizenship. Those 18 years old and younger will only have to show proof of citizenship.

Acceptable forms of ID include a government-issued birth certificate, a permanent resident card, a driver's licence, an Indian and Northern Affairs identity card or a military ID card.

Remember the fond ole days of this?

citizenship?

US. US.

Everybody?

Yeah.

Where ya goin?

Crystal Beach.

Whatcha bringing?

Food, some clothes.

Ok, have a good one.

And that was after you paid going over the bridge from your ticket booklet.

I think we've nipped this terrorism thing in the bud now that everyone needs a birth certificate to get into the country. Whew...that's a load off.
    The difference between taxes and robbery is the mode of coercion.

I don't understand at all why they would accept birth certificates. They're not standardized like passports or driver licenses.

My birth certificate is from the '70's and it looks totally hokey. Anyone could type it up. They just typed my name with a typewriter. And since they allow photocopies at the border, they won't even see the notary stamp either.

Ah

Quote Originally Posted by wheresthesun

As of Today, you need your passsport !!!!!
    Riven37
    _________
    All tyranny needs to gain a foothold is for people of good conscience to remain silent. Thomas Jefferson

Children are not required to show a passport.

as of January 31, 2008:
    • U.S. and Canadian citizens ages 19 and older will need to present a government-issued photo ID, such as a driver’s license, along with proof of citizenship, such as a birth certificate or naturalization certificate
    • Children ages 18 and under will only be required to present proof of citizenship, such as a birth certificate
    • Passports and trusted traveler program cards - NEXUS, SENTRI and FAST - will continue to be accepted for cross-border travel

Ah

Quote Originally Posted by 300miles
    Children are not required to show a passport.
    Did they say, the kids need birth certs, and picture ID they could be a teenage terrorist you know.
    Riven37
    _________
    All tyranny needs to gain a foothold is for people of good conscience to remain silent. Thomas Jefferson

Ah

as of January 31, 2008:
    • U.S. and Canadian citizens ages 19 and older will need to present a government-issued photo ID, such as a driver’s license, along with proof of citizenship, such as a birth certificate or naturalization certificate
    • Children ages 18 and under will only be required to present proof of citizenship, such as a birth certificate
    • Passports and trusted traveler program cards - NEXUS, SENTRI and FAST - will continue to be accepted for cross-border travel

I think they changed that again didn't they. My friend went to can for bingo and it was PASSPORT PLEASE...she was turned back few days ago...
    Riven37
    _________

I don't understand at all why they would accept birth certificates. They're not standardized like passports or driver licenses.

My birth certificate is from the '70's and it looks totally hokey. Anyone could type it up. They just typed my name with a typewriter. And since they allow photocopies at the border, they won't even see the notary stamp either.
    I also have an old copy of my birth certificate. They are looking for the raised seal. I am a Notary Public and we cannot notarize a birth certificate!
    Bite the bullet, get a passport. Canada is still a foreign country no matter how neighborly we feel. Who knows you may soon go to Aruba or someplace where you will again need a passport. So what if you only plan to go to Canada once. If you were going to Europe once you would need a passport. What is the difference?

Quote Originally Posted by Teddy Bear
    I also have an old copy of my birth certificate. They are looking for the raised seal. I am a Notary Public and we cannot notarize a birth certificate!
    Bite the bullet, get a passport. Canada is still a foreign country no matter how neighborly we feel. Who knows you may soon go to Aruba or someplace where you will again need a passport. So what if you only plan to go to Canada once. If you were going to Europe once you would need a passport. What is the difference?

It s another money making scheme and I do not think people should have to fork over big bucks for a special piece of laminate card verifying you are a USA citizen. A drivers license with simple modifications could do the same task. I say no to passports unless you are traveling beyond canada or mexico boundries..

If a reported cited that the passports are way over priced. The cost was only suppose to be for the processing and materials. They found out that high profits are being made on those things......

Quote Originally Posted by Riven37
    I think they changed that again didn't they. My friend went to can for bingo and it was PASSPORT PLEASE...she was turned back few days ago...

Nope, certificate of birth and a picture id like a driver's license is all that is needed.. Of course if a person does look suspicious they do not have to allow you in. Personally I think they are taking this checking crap way to seriously. If some one wants to get in they will find away. The fact that so much effort is being used to check the obviouse leaves gaps in the not so obvious and that is where they will leak through.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information