Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: The WNY "Niagara Falls" MOB

The WNY "Niagara Falls" MOB

http://niagarafallsreporter.com/cover1.29.08.html

Called "The Big Barbecue" by the gangsters who attended, Apalachin was unusual in that it was a special meeting held to address just one order of business -- the drug trade. Several of the New York City bosses -- including Carmine Galante and Joe Bonanno -- had taken an interest in the lucrative new business. Bonanno and his cousin Magaddino had set up a network to import heroin and smuggle it into the United States by way of Montreal and Niagara Falls, Canada, while Galante enlisted the aid of Tampa kingpin Santos Trafficante to bring drugs in from Cuba.

They were making a ton of money, a fact that had not gone unnoticed by men such as Nick Civella and Joe Filardo of Kansas City, who wanted in on the action. Also feeling aggrieved was the Rochester Mafia faction, for decades jealous rivals of the Buffalo boys, who Magaddino had cut out completely. They were represented at Apalachin by the Valenti brothers, Costenze and Frank, a vicious psychopath with a record that included arrests for everything from forgery and counterfeiting to forcible rape and murder

union 91 shakedown of Colorado developer

LOCAL 91, BRIDGE COMMISSION TEAM UP TO ANNIHILATE SUCCESSFUL LEWISTON BUSINESS
    By Mike Hudson
    A Colorado businessman charged this week he was shaken down by indicted Local 91 union thug Mark Congi and henchman Joel Cicero, husband of ousted Local 91 Secretary Cheryl Cicero and son-in-law of indicted union boss Michael "Butch" Quarcini.

Cicero is a Mario Cuomo-appointed member of the Niagara Falls Bridge Commission who -- Albany sources told the Reporter this week -- won't be around for long. Builder Joe Aragon used the word "extortion" to describe the way he was treated, and said Cicero used his position on the Bridge Commission to force the hiring of Local 91 members on a recent construction project here.

Congi and Quarcini face multiple charges of conspiracy and extortion and are looking at 20 years in prison, while Cicero has yet to be charged.

Aragon, who has built 47 Pizza Hut-Taco Bell restaurants around the country with his company, ProServe Corp., tried building one on the New York side of the Queenston-Lewiston Bridge last spring.

That's when the trouble began. Joel Cicero, he said, turned the project into a nightmare.

"These guys (Cicero and Congi) took me and a friend into a room," Aragon said. "They told me I was going to have to hire some guys. I thought I was in a James Cagney movie."

Bridge Commissioner Cicero is also an official in Laborers Local 91, a union identified by federal prosecutors earlier this year as a "criminal enterprise." His father-in-law and many of his friends are under indictment, and his wife was recently kicked out of her $89,000-a-year post as the Local's secretary.

"I went down to the union hall and Cicero was sitting in this big chair like a judge or something," Aragon said. "Mark Congi told me, 'We never forget and you'll never get away from us.'"

Aragon says Cicero and Congi "put the arm" on him, in an attempt to get him to hire Local 91 workers. Undeterred, Aragon proceeded with his construction. Violent pickets began. Despite the fact he had put one of the Laborers on the job, the thugs wanted more and wouldn't let up.

"I had one girl who worked for me hit by a car, incidents of vandalism and threats," Aragon said. "I've never seen anything like it."

The Bridge Commission was no help, he added.

"Joel Cicero was the Bridge Commission," he said. "He told me I'd better play ball, or else."

The Reporter immediately put Aragon in touch with William Hochul, the U.S. Attorney on the Local 91 case.

"I'll testify anytime, any place," Aragon said. "I spent a million dollars to build this thing and this is the only place in the country where I had to go out of business. I believe Cicero and Congi were directly responsible."

Since its opening, the Pizza Hut-Taco Bell at the Lewiston-Queenston Bridge has been plagued by bad business. It closed last month, and 25 full-time employees were laid off. According to Aragon, the threats of Mark Congi have been delivered.

"If we put the word out, you won't have a truck stop here," Aragon said Congi told him. Since the Sept. 11, 2001 attacks by terrorists who aren't members of Local 91, virtually all of the traffic across the Queenston-Lewiston Bridge has been truckers. And, as Congi forewarned, they haven't been stopping.

The Laborers put the screw in with the Teamsters to stay away from the restaurant, Aragon said.

All told, 25 Niagara County restaurant employees are out of work, a successful businessman from Colorado lost a million dollars and now characterizes his time in Niagara Falls as something out of a gangster movie. Because that was the power of Laborers Local 91 here and because the fix was in from a Bridge Commissioner who ought to be indicted.

It's the kind of creepy stuff that happens here and nowhere else -- not in Cleveland or Erie or New York City. Not in 2002.

By the beginning of next year, the chump-change Joel Cicero will no longer be a member of the Niagara Falls Bridge Commission.

The Reporter has a promise from Albany.

And Mark Congi will no longer be able to bully people trying to do business here.

We have a promise on that from law enforcement.

Denver entrepreneur Joe Aragon said he was shaken down by Local 91 and the Niagara Falls Bridge Commission, and he isn't happy about it. He used the word "extortion," and it cost him a million dollars.

He is taking his story to federal authorities and, with any luck at all, even more than the 14 members of the Laborers "goon squad" currently under indictment will be called to answer for their sins.

------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Where were the "LOCAL COPS" when all these assaults were going on, did they just look the other way.

October 15 2002

Where they bought off too. Can't wait to hear Harlem World aka uptown wiggle the cops out of this one.
    Last edited by Bringthetruth; January 30th, 2008 at 01:44 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Bringthetruth
    http://niagarafallsreporter.com/cover1.29.08.html

Called "The Big Barbecue" by the gangsters who attended, Apalachin was unusual in that it was a special meeting held to address just one order of business -- the drug trade. Several of the New York City bosses -- including Carmine Galante and Joe Bonanno -- had taken an interest in the lucrative new business. Bonanno and his cousin Magaddino had set up a network to import heroin and smuggle it into the United States by way of Montreal and Niagara Falls, Canada, while Galante enlisted the aid of Tampa kingpin Santos Trafficante to bring drugs in from Cuba.

They were making a ton of money, a fact that had not gone unnoticed by men such as Nick Civella and Joe Filardo of Kansas City, who wanted in on the action. Also feeling aggrieved was the Rochester Mafia faction, for decades jealous rivals of the Buffalo boys, who Magaddino had cut out completely. They were represented at Apalachin by the Valenti brothers, Costenze and Frank, a vicious psychopath with a record that included arrests for everything from forgery and counterfeiting to forcible rape and murder
    You didn't quote far enough into the article. About the part where Leo Bartolomei gets "dissappeared". Brother of John Bartolomei, the "developer" in Niagara Falls who gave us the Falls Street Station and Faire which never opened yet managed to keep sucking money out of City Hall with lawsuits.

b.b.

Thanks for the information.
    Peace Out Funky

Quote Originally Posted by Velvet Fog
    Thanks for the information.
    Just bringing the truth

Just bringing the truth
    Thanks again. Lt me know when your done with Joe Banana's and Galante. Your really really living in the past.
    Peace Out Funky

So you became blind of the 2002 union 91 deals huh.

Where was the police when all the assaults were going on ?

So you became blind of the 2002 union 91 deals huh.

Where was the police when all the assaults were going on ?
    I just don't see a problem with it...Ihave no problem with the mob.
    Peace Out Funky

Then let someone else respond

I just don't see a problem with it...Ihave no problem with the mob.
    No problem with organized crime?
    Seriously?
    The evil hide even when no one is chasing them.- Proverbs

Quote Originally Posted by Stevenco
    No problem with organized crime?
    Seriously?
    No problem. They are no different than governments or politicians--Politics is like the mob without the guns.
    Peace Out Funky

No problem. They are no different than governments or politicians--Politics is like the mob without the guns.
    And they all look like you ?

So no problem with criminal activity?
    The evil hide even when no one is chasing them.- Proverbs

And they all look like you ?
    Are you asking a question?
    Peace Out Funky

Quote Originally Posted by Stevenco
    So no problem with criminal activity?
    That would depend on the severity of the criminal activity.
    Peace Out Funky

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information