Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Spaulding Fibre - Tonawanda come down

Spaulding Fibre - Tonawanda come down

Hopefully this money will get some activity at the site again. I am not from the immediate Tonawanda area, and drove past this site for the 1st time the other day. It is a huge site that could be used for light industrial or office parks. There is a nice neighborhood near it, and the middle/high school area could benefit from the site being reused to bring some development to the area

http://www.buffalonews.com/cityregio...ry/253842.html

I live in the neighborhood you are referring to. It looks like the money to complete the demolition has been secured, but I'm not sure of the time frame.

One of the ideas for redevelopment came from a Canadian company possibly interested in building a minor league hockey arena.

Quote Originally Posted by nickelcityhomes
    I live in the neighborhood you are referring to. It looks like the money to complete the demolition has been secured, but I'm not sure of the time frame.

One of the ideas for redevelopment came from a Canadian company possibly interested in building a minor league hockey arena.
    If that materializes that could be a good fit for the Sabres, as they need a new minor team now that they are breaking their ties with Rochester. Was it a serious comment from the Candadian Company?

Unregistered
    minor team ....cant we get some friggin jobs....the spaulding site had almost a 1000 workers....and we are going to replace it with a hockey arena that employs what 25.....for the love of pete we already have a hockey team and a hockey arena......we need to find an alternative to Rochester ..... Syracuse, Binghampton, Corning, Ithaca, Jamestown, Erie-PA...do any of them have a hockey team!

Timmy, there is plenty of land adjacent to the Spaulding Fiber site that could be used for light industry or offices, but there aren't any takers. There's a newer three story office complex on the corner of Military/Main and Wheeler that has been vacant forever. There's hundreds of thousands of feet of light industrial space available at the former Hygrade warehouse on Military/Main. Again, no takers. The commercial complex on the east side of Military just inside the COT border is damn-near vacant. The new office complex being developed on River Rd beside the Conway shipping dock is virtually empty and development has come to a standstill. All of these properties (with the exception of River Rd) are located within 500 feet of a heavily traveled passenger and freight rail corridor connecting to Canada. Perhaps you are smarter and have more vision than countless investors and businesses who have passed on these opportunities. If so, put your money where your keyboard fingers are and prove them wrong.

A field of dreams this ain't. If a company wants to build a hockey arena they should be welcomed. I doubt that hockey arena will ever get built, but I'm sure as hell not going to be condescending if a hockey arena doesn't create the types of jobs you deem suitable.

Shoot me a PM if you are serious about building an office park on Spaulding land. I'd be more than happy to introduce you to the political players involved in the redevelopment, and broker the commercial land sale.

Is that entire site contaminated? Could any single market rate houses be built there so that the neighborhood families had somewhere to buy a newer house and stay in the area? Or have new houses for the kids or grandkids to live in

A few years ago, I was inside (what remains of) the building.

I almost stepped on something, and the guy who was showing me around told me that it was wolf crap. Nickelcity - is it possible that there are really wolves over there?

Is that entire site contaminated? Could any single market rate houses be built there so that the neighborhood families had somewhere to buy a newer house and stay in the area? Or have new houses for the kids or grandkids to live in
    The contamination issue is yet to be determined, but the people running the show have no intention of allowing another Hickory Woods.

There are already issues with the Town of Tonawanda landfill across the street. Some claim the landfill radiation issue is nothing more than political grandstanding, others claim to have scientific evidence that the land is unsafe for residential construction. I know people on both sides of the issue who offer credible arguments.

There is a proposed development at Veteran Park that should receive approval sometime this/next year. The COT needs to purchase enough parkland to replace the parkland being developed due to state laws. A developer has yet to be named, but the intention is to offer homes in the $150-$250 range. I foresee a considerable market for these homes, as many will be river view. The wild card is the tax rate. I already pay $3200 per year, including STAR exemptions, for a $90,000 home located 2 blocks from the proposed Vets Park development. If a $180k home requires $6400 per year in taxes the demand will be squashed.

There's a lot of high quality old-style construction available in the COT for bargain prices. One property I purchased, gutted, and rehabbed has an effective age of 22 years based on two appraisals. It was built in 1910. I'd estimate the market value somewhere around 85k, based on comparable sales within the past 6 months. If you are willing to sacrifice an old-style design with modern mechanicals and amenities in exchange for a lower mortgage payment the COT has many offerings.

is it possible that there are really wolves over there?
    Yes, werewolves. All of my neighbors contribute to a silver co-op. It costs around $50 per month. At the end of every month we purchase a bunch of 1964 quarter dollars, melt them down, and shape them into the form of daggers. Apparently it is working. Since the inception of this community co-op, only three toddlers, two puggles, and one kangaroo have been killed by the werewolves. Toddler killings by werewolves have remained stable in the area since 1387, but we've seen a marked improvement in the kangaroo killing rate. All in all, I'd consider our co-op to be a success.

Quote Originally Posted by therising
    Nickelcity - is it possible that there are really wolves over there?
    I'm not NCH, but that area is bounded by some undeveloped land. Coyotes, possibly. I'm sure that there is plenty of rodent - style food running around in those buildings.

Quote Originally Posted by nickelcityhomes
    One property I purchased, gutted, and rehabbed has an effective age of 22 years based on two appraisals. It was built in 1910. I'd estimate the market value somewhere around 85k, based on comparable sales within the past 6 months.
    Just curious NCH, what street & how many sq. ft. ? I gotta be prepared for the reval that's a-comin'.

Thanks.

How is the retail in the area? Is the neighborhood served by enough retail outlets? Maybe Walmart could be lured there for part of the site to spur some develepment. I don't think there is one near by, with Niagara Falls Blvd one being the closest.

How is the retail in the area? Is the neighborhood served by enough retail outlets? Maybe Walmart could be lured there for part of the site to spur some develepment. I don't think there is one near by, with Niagara Falls Blvd one being the closest.
    Like I said in a previous post, there is a strip mall within 1000 feet of the Spaulding site that is almost vacant. Based on that there is likely an oversupply of that style of retail.

There's another Walmart being built in NT, so I doubt they would build a third in the same area. I'd love to see a Wegmans. The Tops on River Rd is one of the most poorly managed grocery stores in the country. Most people I know go to the Tops at the BJ's plaza instead.

I used to work nearby the Tops on Niagara St. It always seemed that that was one of the "lower end" stores that received goods from the other Tops stores that were near their expiration dates.

Their gas is always priced higher than the Tops on Young St, also. I'll never shop there again.

Quote Originally Posted by Effigy
    I used to work nearby the Tops on Niagara St. It always seemed that that was one of the "lower end" stores that received goods from the other Tops stores that were near their expiration dates.

Their gas is always priced higher than the Tops on Young St, also. I'll never shop there again.
    Maybe now that Ahold sold Tops and it will be locally managed again, that Tops will get better.

Where is the closest Wegmans to the Spaulding site? Is it the one on Niagara Falls Blvd? A Wegmans on that site may be a good fit.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information