Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: "The Spread of Germs"

"The Spread of Germs"

This is a pretty random comment, but I just saw a commercial that got me thinking (uh oh), and thought, what the heck.

Is anyone out there getting a little concerned about how much "germ control" is being pushed these days, especially in schools? It seems that everywhere you go, you're being told to wash your hands, use this kind of soap, don't do this, don't do that.
    The Buffalo Public Schools have installed anti-bacterial soap dispensers in every classroom to battle the spread of germs.

Now, the reason I'm concerned is, don't we want kids to get sick? One of the benefits of schools is that there ARE germs flying around which get the kids sick. This builds up their immune systems so that when they are adults, they don't die of some disease.
    For example, as a child, Chicken Pox is extremely annoying and painful, but eventually it's fought off and generally doesn't appear again.
    However, if that child never gets chicken pox, it becomes a potentially DEADLY disease as an adult.

It seems to me that we're jeopardizing the future health of children by stopping the spread of all of these germs.
    http://www.buffaloreuse.org/~kool aid free zone~

My bad, just the first thing I thought of when I read the post and saw who posted it.

http://www.pcstats.com/NewsViewArch.cfm?NewsID=41326

More Germs on Keyboards than Toilets!
    Wed: 03.17.04 | 5:23P| PermaLink Feedback?
    Work stations contain nearly 400 times as many microbes than lavatories, it is claimed. Office equipment should be regularly disinfected to prevent the spread of viruses and bacteria responsible for disease. The reality of our grubby working environments is exposed in a study by the University of Arizona. A desk is capable of supporting 10 million microbes and the average office contains 20,961 microbes per square inch, according to research.The key offenders are telephones, which harbour up to 25,127 microbes per square inch, keyboards 3,295 and computer mice 1,676. By contrast, the average toilet seat contains 49 microbes per square inch, the survey showed. Microbiologist Dr Charles Gerba, of the University of Arizona, who carried out the research, said: "When someone is infected with a cold or flu bug the surfaces they touch during the day become germ transfer points because some cold and flu viruses can survive on surfaces for up to 72 hours. "An office can become an incubator."
    Last edited by Harlem World; January 30th, 2008 at 12:50 AM.
    PUGS !!!

Quote Originally Posted by keyboard150
    This is a pretty random comment, but I just saw a commercial that got me thinking (uh oh), and thought, what the heck.

Is anyone out there getting a little concerned about how much "germ control" is being pushed these days, especially in schools? It seems that everywhere you go, you're being told to wash your hands, use this kind of soap, don't do this, don't do that.
    The Buffalo Public Schools have installed anti-bacterial soap dispensers in every classroom to battle the spread of germs.

Now, the reason I'm concerned is, don't we want kids to get sick? One of the benefits of schools is that there ARE germs flying around which get the kids sick. This builds up their immune systems so that when they are adults, they don't die of some disease.
    For example, as a child, Chicken Pox is extremely annoying and painful, but eventually it's fought off and generally doesn't appear again.
    However, if that child never gets chicken pox, it becomes a potentially DEADLY disease as an adult.

It seems to me that we're jeopardizing the future health of children by stopping the spread of all of these germs.
    I agree, everything is "antibacterial". When we grew up, we played all day, got dirty, drank out of the garden hose, and all of that other stuff, and we were fine. we got a cold, or the flu, or chicken pox, but nothing serious. I've had MRSA in my sinuses on & off for ten years, thanks to the spread of bacteria mutated to resist everything "antibacterial"
    (As I'm typing this, there was just a commercial for Lysol Antibacterial Spray. Apparently, we have to spray our garbage to make it bacterai resistant. It's garbage, it's supposed to be dirty!!)
    PUGS !!!

Quote Originally Posted by keyboard150

I do not know but the other day I had a doctor's appointment and while sitting in the waiting room a guy with his two kids came in and sat down. The kids started coughing all over the place and the guy when he spoke also seemed to have had a cold. Outside the waiting room as you enter there was a sign that stated if you are sick with a cold or flu please take a seat in the lobby area after you check in. It also said that mouth masks are available upon request. I got up and moved to the other end of the waiting room. I did not feel like catching a cold from someone else…..

As far as the antibacterial hand soaps they are actually NOT good for you. They also kill the “good” germs as well and slows down the healing process on cuts. Simple regular soap and water is all you need but you do need to wash… I carry wash and drys in the car all the time..

Quote Originally Posted by concernedwnyer
    [B]
    I do not know but the other day I had a doctor's appointment and while sitting in the waiting room a guy with his two kids came in and sat down. The kids started coughing all over the place and the guy when he spoke also seemed to have had a cold. Outside the waiting room as you enter there was a sign that stated if you are sick with a cold or flu please take a seat in the lobby area after you check in. It also said that mouth masks are available upon request. I got up and moved to the other end of the waiting room. I did not feel like catching a cold from someone else…..

As far as the antibacterial hand soaps they are actually NOT good for you. They also kill the “good” germs as well and slows down the healing process on cuts. Simple regular soap and water is all you need but you do need to wash… I carry wash and drys in the car all the time.. [/B]
    Exactly! We all got along fine with just plain old liquid soap, or even bar soap!
    PUGS !!!

Tony Fracasso - Admin
    Old Ivory Soap Bar

Old Ivory Soap Bar

So that works better than the new "anti-everything" type soap?

Quote Originally Posted by WNYresident

Exposure to germs when you are young helps build your immune system.
    The "Purell Society" ensures stronger germs/bacteria/viruses and weaker humans.

From the CDC website

http://www.cdc.gov/ncidod/eid/vol7no3_supp/levy.htm

Proliferation of Antibacterial Products

Seven years ago, only a few dozen products containing antibacterial agents were being marketed for the home. Now more than 700 are available. The public is being bombarded with ads for cleansers, soaps, toothbrushes, dishwashing detergents, and hand lotions, all containing antibacterial agents. Likewise, we hear about "superbugs" and deadly viruses. Germs have become the buzzword for a danger people want to eliminate from their surroundings. In response to these messages, people are buying antibacterial products because they think these products offer health protection for them and their families. Among the newer products in the antibacterial craze are antibacterial window cleaner and antibacterial chopsticks. Antibacterial agents are now in plastic food storage containers in England. In Italy, antibacterial products are touted in public laundries. In the Boston area, you can purchase a mattress completely impregnated with an antibacterial agent. Whole bathrooms and bedrooms can be outfitted with products containing triclosan (a common antibacterial agent), including pillows, sheets, towels, and slippers.

Development of Resistance

Bacteria are not about to succumb to this deluge, however. Through mutation, some of their progeny emerge with resistance to the antibacterial agent aimed at it, and possibly to other antimicrobial agents as well (4). Laboratory-derived mutants of Pseudomonas stutzeri with resistance to the cationic biocide chlorhexidine were also cross-resistant to antibiotics (nalidixic acid, erythromycin, and ampicillin) (7). In a recent study, 7% of Listeria monocytogenes strains isolated from the environment and food products showed resistance to quaternary ammonium compounds (8).
    PUGS !!!

Quote Originally Posted by WNYresident
    Old Ivory Soap Bar

Old Ivory Soap Bar

Ivory has been around since the 1800's. It's just fine for routine hand washing & bathing. You're obviously not gonna scrub in to perform surgery using Ivory soap. The proliferation of antibacterial products, along with misuse and overuse of antibiotics is causing a dangerous situation and new antibiotics can't be created fast enough to keep pace with bacteria mutations. AND IT FLOATS, TOO
    PUGS !!!

I love the smell of Ivory soap.. I wish I had a bar of it right now to sniff
    WNY's link to the latest deals,printable coupons AND money saving tips!
    www.buffalobroad.com

I'm not a germophobe, in fact, I'm quite the contrary. However, I don't know if I buy the idea that exposure to multiple diseases makes your immune system "stronger". The immune system is a very complex system that is very poorly understood. In fact, much of the understanding of the immune system arose because of HIV research in the past 30 years or so.

Someone did mention the chicken pox vaccine and that whole debacle has made me a little irate. Why are we vaccinating against diseases that are not life threatening? Let me give you an example. I have twin boys, both were vaccinated against chicken pox. Three years later, one contracted the disease and showed symptoms (although they were mild) the other did not. Has anyone considered the ramifications of an adult population that is only partially immune to this disease. Who is going to take care of adults with shingles?? Doesn't this pose a long-term risk?? Who in public health made this stupid decision??

Uh, lemme see, who benefits from vaccinations...well there's the children of course, but let's take chicken pox for example, uh have you checked Merck stock lately?? It's off the friggin' chart! Anyhow, I'm sure some pharmaceutical lobbyist was able to convince the senate that this vaccine should become public health policy.

That commericial was real thought-out! A guy walking around with a urnial! It almost ranks up there with my favorite: The kids with smoke coming out of their mouths and nose---To me the kids look happy.
    Peace Out Funky

I don't mind that the immunizations are offered. I have real issue with them being mandated.
    Hep B vaccine? So when our kids have unprotected sex they won't come into contact with it.
    Chicken Pox Vaccine? Keeps mom and dad working.
    Meningitis vaccine? I'd like to see stats on this one.
    Not mandatory yet ...
    HPV vaccine? Same thing only it protects you from 4 out of the 24+ various strains of the HPV that may, or may not, cause cervical cancer. Only 4? What are the 20 year+ side effects of this vaccine?
    First Amendment rights are like muscles, if you don't exercise them they will atrophy.

The way I see it is with the huge population in this world, there should be some protection in place. So the ads and admonishments to wash our hands might do some good.

As far as the antibacterial soaps in schools. Well any parent or teacher who thinks their kids are actually washing their hands when they should - are just kidding themselves You know kids. There's more than enough germs to go around even after hand washing and vaccinations.

I had a super immune system at one time, but the germs mutate and adjust so everyone still needs to be careful.

I don't like bannisters or railings in public places. Or shopping carts, either.

Quote Originally Posted by speaker
    I don't like bannisters or railings in public places. Or shopping carts, either.
    Eww! I know sometimes you can just feel the ick.
    First Amendment rights are like muscles, if you don't exercise them they will atrophy.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information