Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Let's Talk about HEAP, baby.

Some idiot gave me a RED one for my thoughts on HEAP.
    Must've been an idiot.

"Only morally bankrupt tortured souls give Stevenco red dots." - Lamentations
    The evil hide even when no one is chasing them.- Proverbs

Quote Originally Posted by MoreOfTheSame
    Many office buildings have those plastic cages that fit around the thermostat, or they are electronically controlled. I wonder if it could be made a condition of going on HEAP that the thermostats are set to a max of 70 (which I feel is more than reasonable, considering mine never goes above 63) and then locked in those plastic or metal cages, subject to random inspection for tampering.

Somebody will probably give me a reason why that would not work though.
    I remember working down by the first ward about 30 years ago in the winter time, and driving through the Perry projects seeing people hanging out of the windows screaming at people on the sidewalk dressed in tee shirts. They must have had the thermostat maxed out. About two weeks later, I was reading a story in the News on how the housing authority slapped locks on all the thermostats and set them at 68 . The story also went on to say the tenant's were suing to have them removed. Guess what, they won down the road and the locks were taken off. Abuse of the system does not get any better than that.

[QUOTE=MoreOfTheSame]An article in today's paper describes the latest "HEAP outreach" to get more people added to the energy and gas assistance plan.

I did some research on the plan and found some information about HEAP online, as well as the HEAP plan for 2007-2008.

Apparently anybody who receives food stamps is eligible, anybody whose family makes 60% of the state median income or less (in 2004 for a family of four it was ~40k), any family with people on food stamps, etc etc etc.

There are complicated formulas to determine the monthly benefit (pg 13-14).

What I find interesting is the program started in 1981 in response to the OPEC embargo. Why did the program get continued if it was supposed to be a temporary fund? Also, are food stamps and medicaid expenses counted as income for the purpose of this program? For example, a $300 a month heating bill may not be such a big deal if a family is having all their food provided for, transportation, as well as medical expenses, etc etc. What happened to setting the thermometer to 62 and wearing sweaters? There also appears to be no directive for discontinuing assistance after a set period of time. Does this mean a person is actually "encouraged" to remain below the income levels/unemployed or work off the books for an extended period of time, or life, just to remain on food stamps/benefits? Do programs like this breed dependency and continue the cycle of poverty?

.[/ awQUOTE]

No deep thought needed here, YES!!!!!

Now my question, if someone on public assistance is getting their utilities payed for already, do the get heap? If they do , that really answers the first question. I for one am getting tired off having a sore a$$ from the abusers.

you make it sound like they get money handed to them Heap is paid directly to the utility company. the Heap money reemberses the welfare coverage go figure one department pays the other so more salaries can be paid
    One good thing about growing old is your secrets are safe with your friends they can't remember them either

I'm visiting someone at this moment whose apartment is heated
    by HEAP and damn is it hot in here.

Tropics Only In Buffalo/ Midwinter

Quote Originally Posted by Stevenco
    LOL...Reminds me of last year..I had a tenant who complained that her new furnace wasnt working (less than 1 year old, hi effic.). BTW, she is on sect 8 and receives food stamps and HEAP. I called THE INSTALLER AND HE CAME OUT TO CHECK THE FURNACE. hE CALLED ME TO TELL ME THAT THE FURNACE had to be re-set as the over heat control was out. Seems that she sets the furnace on as hi as it will go because she lokes it warm, meanwhile she walks around the house with shorts and a tube top on. My repairman says he stuck around awhile to make sure that the furnace was working, it was so hot in there that he was sweating, couldnt stand it , then left. OH, ALSO HE TOLD HER TO CLOSE THE WINDOWS IN THE LIVINGROOM THAT WERE OPEN A FEW INCHES BECAUSE SHE WANTED TO HAVE SOME FRESH AIR COMING IN. Gotta love it, COURTESY of my tax dollars

Quote Originally Posted by Stevenco

Stevenco.... Lower your damn thermostat NOW!

Quote Originally Posted by concernedwnyer

Stevenco.... Lower your damn thermostat NOW!
    I don't get HEAP.
    Also I don't live at home unemployed with my mother scratching lottery
    tickets, either.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information