I can't believe no one has posted anything about the wealthy taxpayers in OP who want their taxes to go to fixing their street because they drive expensive cars which may be damaged due to the condition of the road.
Does that mean that those of us who don't drive expensive cars or live on expensive streets will be paying for the schools, police, highway department and other expenses that are in the budget?
I live in Depew, and I wish I could designate my tax dollars, and those of the neighbors', to fixing the sewer on our street, but I live in a world where what we throw in the pot is shared with others who live in the village. It's arrogant to think, let alone say out loud, that your cars require or are deserving of better treatment than mine.
This year, I've noticed that road conditions everywhere are a nightmare. I have never dodged so many rough patches, potholes and patched-over traps in my driving life. It's all about where the money comes from and where it goes. Apparently, no municipalities have the funds to repair any roads. Yet, in Depew, positions are being created and filled, while our roads go begging for a smooth ride.
OP rich taxpayers should live on our street and the ones leading up to it. Deal with our flooding basements. Watch your driveway turn into a puzzle of table rocks after it splits, and make calls to people who don't answer the phone. Take your tax money and know that it might not be going where you want it to, but it's never going to be about your property value or your expensive car. It's for the general public.If you don't like where it's being spent, certainly, speak up, but don't make yourselves sound like Marie Antoinette.