Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Tell me, is this Kosher?

Tell me, is this Kosher?

Just came back from Chef's and as I rounded Swan St I see all this hullabaloo at the Olivencia Center and wonder if this front is now running a legal business? Oh, I'm sure the Jackson Hewitt a tax business is legal, but is it legal to run a business out of a federally, state, and locally funded community center? Is the Olivencia Center a 501c3, in spite of having a bar in its premises? Who gets a cut from this operation (as if... )?

Pictures to follow.

"this front"...???...please explain....and also,what,specifically, was going on there that disturbed you??...

Community Centers are not...

Quote Originally Posted by bigpoppapuff
    "this front"...???...please explain....and also,what,specifically, was going on there that disturbed you??...
    "in the business" of running businesses out of them, unless they have a training component to them, like the Subway Shop out of True Bethel. This Tax operation stinks of impropriety.

Now, if the low income/special needs tax filers truly want tax filing assistance, they can get it FREE through the Belmont Corp. Call United Way and they will direct anyone there.

No, Chef's food is likely NOT Kosher, unless it has been blessed by a Rabbi; is that what you were askin'?

Meat and Dairy? Nope! Not Kosher!

Quote Originally Posted by wheresthesun
    No, Chef's food is likely NOT Kosher, unless it has been blessed by a Rabbi; is that what you were askin'?
    But thanks for asking.

Quote Originally Posted by buffaloagain
    "in the business" of running businesses out of them, unless they have a training component to them, like the Subway Shop out of True Bethel. This Tax operation stinks of impropriety.

Now, if the low income/special needs tax filers truly want tax filing assistance, they can get it FREE through the Belmont Corp. Call United Way and they will direct anyone there.

i know what a front is....i guess i'm asking you why you feel there are improprieties at the olivencia center??

it isn't ethnically based is it??...

Quote Originally Posted by buffaloagain
    Just came back from Chef's and as I rounded Swan St I see all this hullabaloo at the Olivencia Center and wonder if this front is now running a legal business?
    You may want to start from the beginning and explain what the Olivencia Center is and what it's supposed to be. I've never heard of it.

Geeze....

i know what a front is....i guess i'm asking you why you feel there are improprieties at the olivencia center??

it isn't ethnically based is it??...
    I'm asking about the propriety of putting a commercial tax business into a Community Center- in this case, it's the Pucho Olivencia Center, and is it allowable under the not for profit status that they so covet?

A free service to the community would be allowable, a commercial, for profit I do not believe is. So, breaking the rules, wether one is a minority or not, is not the question and has no business being injected into this post.

maybe you could call them and ask......i'm still thinking that it's ethnically based,though..

So is Belmont's- and..

maybe you could call them and ask......i'm still thinking that it's ethnically based,though..
    Belmont is free and available to all ethnicities. Its (Belmont's) a UW funded program- not a for profit business set up in a Community Center. Are you understanding, yet?

getting pretty upset about getting called out,i'm thinkin'.....

call the center....get your answer....end of discussion...

Please...

getting pretty upset about getting called out,i'm thinkin'.....

call the center....get your answer....end of discussion...
    You think you "called me out" Heck, no... and what's your agenda, anyway? You get a cut?

If other's see an impropriety, then let them respond, you're not the only blogger in this thread we want to hear from. But thanks for your input.

how you doin' with the pictures??......can't wait to see 'em...

From the IRS site:

Exemption Requirements

To be tax-exempt under section 501(c)(3) of the Internal Revenue Code, an organization must be organized and operated exclusively for exempt purposes set forth in section 501(c)(3), and none of its earnings may inure to any private shareholder or individual. In addition, it may not be an action organization, i.e., it may not attempt to influence legislation as a substantial part of its activities and it may not participate in any campaign activity for or against political candidates.

Organizations described in section 501(c)(3) are commonly referred to as charitable organizations. Organizations described in section 501(c)(3), other than testing for public safety organizations, are eligible to receive tax-deductible contributions in accordance with Code section 170.

The organization must not be organized or operated for the benefit of private interests, and no part of a section 501(c)(3) organization's net earnings may inure to the benefit of any private shareholder or individual. If the organization engages in an excess benefit transaction with a person having substantial influence over the organization, an excise tax may be imposed on the person and any organization managers agreeing to the transaction.

Section 501(c)(3) organizations are restricted in how much political and legislative (lobbying) activities they may conduct. For a detailed discussion, see Political and Lobbying Activities. For more information about lobbying activities by charities, see the article Lobbying Issues; for more information about political activities of charities, see the FY-2002 CPE topic Election Year Issues.

The radio program espousing political issues is broadcasted from the Center. Chito considers himself a strong political insider and operates out of the Center. I would be very careful of political manuevering in this location as it most definitly can impact their 501 c 3 status.

Quote Originally Posted by wheresthesun
    wts---

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information