Thread: The Nation Of Islam in Niagara Falls

The Nation Of Islam in Niagara Falls

http://www.thefreelibrary.com/Blacks...ey-a0128705070

Another group entered the Niagara Falls area in about 1961 or 1962, a group that vehemently opposed the Civil Rights Movement. That group was the Nation of Islam. (102) The Niagara Falls Gazette viewed them as fanatics. (103) Members from the Muslim temple in Buffalo, Temple 23, came to Niagara Falls to recruit members into the Nation of Islam and to perhaps establish a temple in the area. Although the majority of black leaders, such as Pollard, Bolden, Bond, and Griffin, had been seeking to integrate black Niagara Fallsians into the mainstream of the community, the Muslims sought, among other things, to convert the black community to Islam, Islamic separatism and the development of an independent economic base within the black community. The Muslims gained few converts in the area, probably because most black Niagara Fallsians were Baptists or Methodists and vigorously opposed considering any religion other than Christian. (104)

At an NAACP forum on civil rights at the Niagara Community Center, for example, when Bloneva Bond was asked if the NAACP should join forces with the Muslims on a project that could benefit the entire black community, she responded: "No. Ours is a democratic organization operating within the Constitution. We believe in the equality of man, which the Muslims do not." (105) Griffin also did not view the Muslims as a helpful force within the community. (106) They were generally perceived as a cult that impeded the progress of the struggling black community. (107)

Notwithstanding the limited influence of Islam, adherence to some of the Muslim teachings might have benefited black Niagara Fallsians. (108) The Muslims preached community economic development, the pooling of economic resources, and the development of an enterprising mindset. (109) Booker T. Washington had preached these same ideas years earlier, but they were not generally embraced. Accepting some of these principles might have been of tremendous help to the black community, which was struggling economically, especially during the early 1960s when the booming economic effects of World War II had receded.

In 1963, for example, the NAACP conducted a survey of employment of black Niagara Fallsians and found that 17.6 percent of the heads of families were unemployed. (110) Thus, adherence to Muslim economic principles perhaps might have helped to establish a stronger, more advanced economic structure and an enterprising tradition within the black community, which was sorely needed.

With the Muslims operating on the fringes of the black community, black Niagara Fallsians continued to promote and support the strategies and tactics of the Civil Rights Movement, whose influence was not only widespread but also motivational. Taking their cue from national events, such as the Sit-in Movement, the Birmingham Desegregation Movement, the March on Washington and other civil rights protest activities, the leadership continued to voice their concern about housing and employment, making stronger demands.

Welcome back Funky. I'd make a comment on your post, but honestly, I just don't feel like reading it. sorry

Good to have ya back, though
    PUGS !!!

Remember Phillip Cardillo!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Dr Funky
    http://www.thefreelibrary.com/Blacks...ey-a0128705070

Another group entered the Niagara Falls area in about 1961 or 1962, a group that vehemently opposed the Civil Rights Movement. That group was the Nation of Islam. (102) The Niagara Falls Gazette viewed them as fanatics. (103) Members from the Muslim temple in Buffalo, Temple 23, came to Niagara Falls to recruit members into the Nation of Islam and to perhaps establish a temple in the area. Although the majority of black leaders, such as Pollard, Bolden, Bond, and Griffin, had been seeking to integrate black Niagara Fallsians into the mainstream of the community, the Muslims sought, among other things, to convert the black community to Islam, Islamic separatism and the development of an independent economic base within the black community. The Muslims gained few converts in the area, probably because most black Niagara Fallsians were Baptists or Methodists and vigorously opposed considering any religion other than Christian. (104)

At an NAACP forum on civil rights at the Niagara Community Center, for example, when Bloneva Bond was asked if the NAACP should join forces with the Muslims on a project that could benefit the entire black community, she responded: "No. Ours is a democratic organization operating within the Constitution. We believe in the equality of man, which the Muslims do not." (105) Griffin also did not view the Muslims as a helpful force within the community. (106) They were generally perceived as a cult that impeded the progress of the struggling black community. (107)

Notwithstanding the limited influence of Islam, adherence to some of the Muslim teachings might have benefited black Niagara Fallsians. (108) The Muslims preached community economic development, the pooling of economic resources, and the development of an enterprising mindset. (109) Booker T. Washington had preached these same ideas years earlier, but they were not generally embraced. Accepting some of these principles might have been of tremendous help to the black community, which was struggling economically, especially during the early 1960s when the booming economic effects of World War II had receded.

In 1963, for example, the NAACP conducted a survey of employment of black Niagara Fallsians and found that 17.6 percent of the heads of families were unemployed. (110) Thus, adherence to Muslim economic principles perhaps might have helped to establish a stronger, more advanced economic structure and an enterprising tradition within the black community, which was sorely needed.

With the Muslims operating on the fringes of the black community, black Niagara Fallsians continued to promote and support the strategies and tactics of the Civil Rights Movement, whose influence was not only widespread but also motivational. Taking their cue from national events, such as the Sit-in Movement, the Birmingham Desegregation Movement, the March on Washington and other civil rights protest activities, the leadership continued to voice their concern about housing and employment, making stronger demands.
    REMEMBER CARDILLO
    PUGS !!!

So you're going to blame an entire group of people on what one person did?

Personally I believe that their version of Islam is false, or at least screwed up.

No I don't believe all whites are evil, obviously, but I do believe they had a right to self defense and in their belief that businesses should be built up and money should circulate by members of and through the community.

lol If Im gonna get a negative rep for this thread, at least have the guts to tell me who did it....

lol If Im gonna get a negative rep for this thread, at least have the guts to tell me who did it....
    wasn't me
    PUGS !!!

So you're going to blame an entire group of people on what one person did?
    The Phillip Cardillo assassination is a very sore subject with me. It happened where I work, and I just finished reading "Murder At The Harlem Mosque". I'm currently reading "Circle Of Six". I don't blame the Nation of Islam as a whole, but this also wasn't the action of one individual. The crime, from start to finish, and beyond, was a group effort, and it was a very sad betrayal of trust by the NYPD, bowing to the pressure of Farrakhan & Rangel. (It was the only NYPD line of duty funeral not attended by either the Mayor or the Police Commissioner.)
    Incidents of this nature were, unfortunately, very common in 1971, and although attitudes have changed in time, there are still too many people that sympathize with the Nation of Islam's behavior and actions in this incident, enough to make me wonder when they will use their influence again to attack us. Just my opinion.

PS - were you aware of the incident, or did you have to look it up? Props to you for knowing about it, or learning about it.
    PUGS !!!

Quote Originally Posted by Harlem World
    The Phillip Cardillo assassination is a very sore subject with me. It happened where I work, and I just finished reading "Murder At The Harlem Mosque". I'm currently reading "Circle Of Six". I don't blame the Nation of Islam as a whole, but this also wasn't the action of one individual. The crime, from start to finish, and beyond, was a group effort, and it was a very sad betrayal of trust by the NYPD, bowing to the pressure of Farrakhan & Rangel. (It was the only NYPD line of duty funeral not attended by either the Mayor or the Police Commissioner.)
    Incidents of this nature were, unfortunately, very common in 1971, and although attitudes have changed in time, there are still too many people that sympathize with the Nation of Islam's behavior and actions in this incident, enough to make me wonder when they will use their influence again to attack us. Just my opinion.

PS - were you aware of the incident, or did you have to look it up? Props to you for knowing about it, or learning about it.
    I had to look it up.

To be honest with you, Im not to happy with the NOI. Elijah Muhammad broke his own rules, and he started the ball which ended up in the assassination of Malcolm X.

Malcolm X had a completely different outlook on life once he returned from Mecca. He began to see how flawed the NOI was.

Quote Originally Posted by Harlem World
    wasn't me
    Im getting the feeling it was sunday niagara....

Lets open a rib joint,I hear these people love Pork

Thread Information