Thread: Efficient Market Theory

Efficient Market Theory

Apparently there are some people on this board interested in the market, based on the response to recent threads.

Anyone care to discuss Efficient Market Theory (random walk, markowitz) in the existing era of pervasive internet data? No personal attacks allowed.

Several years ago I was of the opinion that I could obtain better returns than the market by studying technicals and fundamentals. That exercise in futility taught me that I'm not smarter than the average bear. Those experiences reduced me to a "strong form" investor. Since that point I've abandoned the market, except for contributions to a 401k for tax and employer matching purposes. The majority of my money went to real estate, which is working well. I'm interested in other folks' investment strategies.

Anyone want to play?

Quote Originally Posted by nickelcityhomes
    Apparently there are some people on this board interested in the market, based on the response to recent threads.

Anyone care to discuss Efficient Market Theory (random walk, markowitz) in the existing era of pervasive internet data? No personal attacks allowed.

Several years ago I was of the opinion that I could obtain better returns than the market by studying technicals and fundamentals. That exercise in futility taught me that I'm not smarter than the average bear. Those experiences reduced me to a "strong form" investor. Since that point I've abandoned the market, except for contributions to a 401k for tax and employer matching purposes. The majority of my money went to real estate, which is working well. I'm interested in other folks' investment strategies.
    Anyone want to play?
    My investment strategy is to only invest in what I understand. That means Efficient Markey Theory would be out. I also don't do individual stocks b/c I don't have the time to research their markets and follow their progress.

So, other than owning my own house, I invest in index funds. I'm diversified between stock, bond, and foriegn market index funds. I've lost quite a bit of money since the first of January, but I'm not too concerned about it b/c I have more than 20 years before I retire.
    1 Corinthians 13:1 "If I speak in the languages of men and of angels, but have not love, I am only a resounding gong or a clanging cymbal."

Thread Information