Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: English as a 2nd language and since English became a language...

Quote Originally Posted by Townsfolk
    Absolutely correct. The problem I have is that they settled on the east and west sides of Buffalo. Polish on the east and Italian on the west. The blacks and the hispanics drove them out to the burbs in the 60's and 70's. Thatcher used to be a wonderful street when I was 6 or 7. Been down there lately? Busti used to be a nice place back in the 60's. I remember visiting my great grand parents. Been down there lately?
    Yes, there's some new housing around there and a new church. Blacks and hispanics did not drive people out into the suburbs. What drove people out into the suburbs was fear. A fear that obviously still persists. I hope that in 100 years English disappears and we move to a phonetical language, ideally Spanish. No language should take 20+ years to learn how to spell.

If you want to see how messed up English phonetics are read this

Or this...

Quote Originally Posted by run4it
    That's my point. They didn't need one...and we don't need one now.

I wasn't trying to argue with you...just tangent from your point.
    Exactly. And for the record, there was a large scale foreign language press in the cities with large numbers of foreign born people, including Buffalo. There were still weekly German and Polish language newspapers being published in Buffalo even in the 1970s.

Exactly right! My grandfather arrives on Ellis Island in 1900. Must learn English to survive. 108 years later we must press 1 for English. What a crock of ****!
    That's BS. Your grandpa got along just fine without knowing much English because the staff at Ellis Island had translators, and there were plenty of people who'd come earlier who could translate. Eventually, your grandpa learned English but I bet that your grandma didn't learn much unless she came as a little girl and went to school in the US.

My maternal grandmother never learned more than a few words of broken English, but she ran a grocer store because the entire neighborhood was Polish, and so were the salesmen!

My maternal grandmother also didn't learn much English because she was a farmer's wife who had little contact with anyone outside her family unless they were other Italian farmers' wives or farm workers.

Unregistered
    Those who want Townsfolk banned for speaking his mind on a message board should be banned from the USA! If you don't believe in freedom of speech, pack your bags and relocate to a totalitarian country.

Hey Surfin! We have been wondering about you. Glad to see you back.
    Adopt an English Springer Spaniel.
    http://www.springerrescue.org
    "Striving to be the person
    that my dogs think I am"

www.BuffaloReUse.org

Unregistered
    Quote Originally Posted by OneEmerald
    Hey Surfin! We have been wondering about you. Glad to see you back.
    Thanks!

someone's gotta get things stirred back-up around here.

Without me, nobody would have a use for the red dots!

Absolutely correct. The problem I have is that they settled on the east and west sides of Buffalo. Polish on the east and Italian on the west. The blacks and the hispanics drove them out to the burbs in the 60's and 70's. Thatcher used to be a wonderful street when I was 6 or 7. Been down there lately? Busti used to be a nice place back in the 60's. I remember visiting my great grand parents. Been down there lately?
    Let me give you a history lesson here..
    When a black family buys a home in a white neighborhood its pretty safe to say they arent moving in to ruin the neighborhood, They are making an investment in the community just as you have....What happened to the East Side & West Side was called "white flight"White families "panicked" and moved..so guess what? More houses for sale more blacks move in... If nobody left where would they live?
    Our churches are closing because of lack of economic development AND abandonment by former parishoners who left to move to the suburbs..But Ive got to tell you.. Your neighborhood isnt going to be all white forever buddy... And theres nothing you can do about it
    WNY's link to the latest deals,printable coupons AND money saving tips!
    www.buffalobroad.com

Quote Originally Posted by Michele J
    Let me give you a history lesson here..
    When a black family buys a home in a white neighborhood its pretty safe to say they arent moving in to ruin the neighborhood, They are making an investment in the community just as you have....What happened to the East Side & West Side was called "white flight"White families "panicked" and moved..so guess what? More houses for sale more blacks move in... If nobody left where would they live?
    Our churches are closing because of lack of economic development AND abandonment by former parishoners who left to move to the suburbs..But Ive got to tell you.. Your neighborhood isnt going to be all white forever buddy... And theres nothing you can do about it
    You are very right, Michele. It was panicked home owners who sold out to absentee landlords who brought down any number of neighborhoods. Where people didn't/don't panic and sell out cheap for "whatever they can get", the neighborhoods don't stay lily-white but they don't collapse either. Now, this hasn't happened much in Buffalo, but it's common enough in other cities both in NYS and around the country.

Unregistered

The people who came to the USA in the early 20th century...

...came via Ellis Island, came legally, had to meet quotas and there wasn't any welfare system--Welfare came much later and was originally meant to be a boost only.

~~There is also the subject of children becoming American citizens upon being born here having to do with the children of the BLACK SLAVES who were ALREADY here and having children. That citizenship was for black children having USA citizenship rights as some sort of means to rectify wrongs.

Being born here was NOT originally meant for the offspring of anyone coming to the USA solely so their children would be born here as citizens. thereby allowing the parents to "compassionately" stay in the USA.

Most other developed countries do not allow foreigners' children to become citizens for having been born in those foreign countries.

It is seriously amazing how what is begun for a specific reason gets changed into something completely different.~~

Those 20th century European arrivals basically attempted to blend in. Many changed their names to look and sound more like "Americans" and hide their actual heritage. Those coming from Europe were able to manage that "hiding"--A blending in that surely was and is not possible for dark-skinned people...

Now, everything is very different besides that many now in this county legally or otherwise are obviously pretty much no longer from Europe!!!...

What is also important is that back in the 1901, those who arrived here did not speak English themselves and found it difficult to learn English. They had to conduct their communities, social life and businesses in their native languages to survive and socialize and gradually learn some English.

It was their CHILDREN who became "Americanized" and did not, for the very most part, speak their parents' native language or stay in those tight knit communities, causing those communites to break down. Those long ago CHILDREN born here learned English and kept English as their first language...

Now, the people coming into the USA DO NOT INTEND for their CHILDREN, (this country's future generations), to lose their ancestors' native languages. That already is a problem because so many besides Spanish-speaking people are here, illegally or not, with many more heading this wayyyyyyy who will want to keep their own languages intact. That already is a problem because there already are toooo many languages needing to be learned...

English, not Spanish, is a universal language, but for now, Spanish is becoming predominant in the USA. So will other languages become dominant here in the USA--Remember that Tower of Babble"? Babbles-R-us...

It is already necessary for those here for many generations to recognize at least the basics of Spanish, whether established citizens accept that fact or not...

In 100 years, the USA will be an extremely different country (as will Buffalo, NY). After all, the actual natives (who were named Indians by whites in boats) are seeing a very different country from 200 years ago...

Heck. Even that "Indian" naming is already a problem because many actual Indians from India are already citizens here so when someone says "Indian" it is necessary to pay attention to the conversation to understand which Indian is meant!--This was not a happening 100 years ago...

I wonder too if the native "Americans" here might eventually object to being referred to as Indians? Did the true natives here ever object to being called Americans?..

----------

--> --> --> -->goal surpassing in progress-->

Quote Originally Posted by Surfing USA
    Those who want Townsfolk banned for speaking his mind on a message board should be banned from the USA! If you don't believe in freedom of speech, pack your bags and relocate to a totalitarian country.
    Your a dope as well! "Wetbacks" would get you shot in some areas of the country. Most direct insults will...
    Peace Out Funky

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by Surfing USA
    Welcome back, Surfing!

As far as "relocating to a totalatarian country," no prob!

We're ALREADY LIVING IN ONE!

But thous has spake, spoke thine mind and still have thy jester's acerbic wit,
    so,
    by the powers granted to me
    by that icon of interaction, SUWNY,
    I hereby grant you, Surfing USA
    one green point.

Surfing,
    Use your newfound green dot with great caution, for "with great power, comes great responsibilty" and those green dots wield untold powers of wanton chaos and destruction.
    You have been warned...
    Coincidence is the word we use when we can't see the levers and pulleys.

Emma Bull

Quote Originally Posted by Velvet Fog
    Your a dope as well! "Wetbacks" would get you shot in some areas of the country. Most direct insults will...

I just can't bring myself to get upset over a racial or ethnic slur. It's no different IMO than calling somebody fat, ugly, dumbo, etc...It's a descriptor people make about others because they don't know them and need an immediate "label". It doesn't make it right, it's just how it is.
    Hell, half the time they're hilarious. The other half they are mean spirited and undeserving.

I know you're not SensitiveSally, and I realize you have a dog in that hunt, but it's really much ado about nada.

Unregistered
    Quote Originally Posted by Velvet Fog
    I typically attempt to refrain from criticizing people's spelling and or punctuation as a form of rebuttal, however, when referring to an individual, (me,) as a "dope," it would work to your advantage to be grammatically correct.

IE: You're a dope; not "your a dope."

Unregistered
    Quote Originally Posted by Dumbfounded
    Welcome back, Surfing!

As far as "relocating to a totalatarian country," no prob!

We're ALREADY LIVING IN ONE!

But thous has spake, spoke thine mind and still have thy jester's acerbic wit,
    so,
    by the powers granted to me
    by that icon of interaction, SUWNY,
    I hereby grant you, Surfing USA
    one green point.

Surfing,
    Use your newfound green dot with great caution, for "with great power, comes great responsibilty" and those green dots wield untold powers of wanton chaos and destruction.
    You have been warned...
    Thanks for the welcome!

As for the green dots, I've never and will NEVER post on SUWNY with the intent of winning any popularity contests.

The above being said, I formally "throw caution to the wind."

Quote Originally Posted by Linda_D
    You are very right, Michele. It was panicked home owners who sold out to absentee landlords who brought down any number of neighborhoods. Where people didn't/don't panic and sell out cheap for "whatever they can get", the neighborhoods don't stay lily-white but they don't collapse either. Now, this hasn't happened much in Buffalo, but it's common enough in other cities both in NYS and around the country.
    The neighborhood fell apart becuase of absentee landlords and sellouts? Damn it, I hate it when I find out the truth! All this time I thought maybe the people living there had something to do with it.

How did they ruin all those houses? Did they do midnight raids from there suburban homes?

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread Information