Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: English as a 2nd language and since English became a language...

Quote Originally Posted by Linda_D
    The only time a second (or third or fourth) language hurts you is when you don't have one. Learning any of the Romance languages (French, Spanish, Italian, Portuguese) will help you understand English grammar better since all of them are based on Latin and use the Latin-style grammar. On the other hand, learning German will help you understand a lot of the idiosyncracies of English homonyms and spelling because English is an old Germanic language overlaid with medieval Norman French.

I took French in high school and college, and then added Spanish in college. I used to be able to read both very well, and can still get by with them. I used to speak both passably well, but after 30+ years of mostly not speaking them regularly, I've lost that skill .

I'm working on at least getting a reading of knowledge of Italian now, since I'm thinking of going to Italy to do a little geneological research when I retire.
    Minga nice! Rosetta Stone.
    Peace Out Funky

Unregistered

Wouldn't it be right...

...that English is pretty much a ww language? Even people living in poverty in foreign lands have been known to speak and understand at least a little English.

Most USAers still don't see the need for at least Spanish for the immediate now...

The USA is fast becoming a land of so many people who are citizens but do not use English exclusively and do NOT want their children to lose their native language.

The USA is also a land filled with people who are not citizens and do not much speak or understand English. We who are citizens must learn at least Spanish.

French is the native language of our IMMEDIATE neighbors to the north. It is their native language and is spoken by them when they are here, although fir the very most part, Canadians also speak English fluently--same as us USAens in this USAion, actually...

Spanish is spoken by our neighbors to the south and many incoming citizens and illegals also coming here and already here...

Spanish is what professionals in this country, who do not already have the rudiments, are learning so that they can communicate with clients...

As for many other foreign languages spoken here, yes, many others here and coming here speak languages USAers must learn in time... Wow! Our citizenized school kids will have to go to school 24/7 to learn all those tongues plus all other subjects!!!!!!!!!

----------

--> --> --> -->goal surpassing in progress-->

Townsfolk
    Quote Originally Posted by Concerned in Buffalo
    Spanish is spoken by our neighbors to the south and many incoming citizens and illegals also coming here and already here...
    At the current rate of illegals and foreigners coming into this country, in 2020 our government will designate January as White History month. I can see it now... America, the greatest country in the world especially if you are an illegal or a foreigner. We'll give your children free schooling. Americans are happy to provide you with welfare too. Stay as long as you like and we'll eventually grant you immunity and provide you with a free path to citizenship. Push 1 and get the hell out of our country. As far as I am concerned Spanish National Anthems and wetbacks belong south of the Rio Grande.

Quote Originally Posted by Townsfolk
    At the current rate of illegals and foreigners coming into this country, in 2020 our government will designate January as White History month. I can see it now... America, the greatest country in the world especially if you are an illegal or a foreigner. We'll give your children free schooling. Americans are happy to provide you with welfare too. Stay as long as you like and we'll eventually grant you immunity and provide you with a free path to citizenship. Push 1 and get the hell out of our country. As far as I am concerned Spanish National Anthems and wetbacks belong south of the Rio Grande.
    You should be banned for not only your obvious racial comment(s) but for your ignorance and stupidity. Is it any wonder why our country is the way it is? How many guns do you have?
    Peace Out Funky

Townsfolk
    Quote Originally Posted by Velvet Fog
    You should be banned for not only your obvious racial comment(s) but for your ignorance and stupidity. Is it any wonder why our country is the way it is? How many guns do you have?
    Fog--not trying to intensionally offend anyone. I am only saying what many people think, but are afraid to say for fear of being called a racist or ignorant. The illegals are getting a free ride and you pay for it. If you are comfortable with that arrangement, then you are the stupid one. I do not own a gun. I hate guns and I'll never understand why people want them. I even hate the NRA and everything that organization represents.

YES the above is pure ignorance .. you should be banned Townsfolk.. once upon a time YOUR ANCESTORS WERE FOREIGNERS HERE..
    WNY's link to the latest deals,printable coupons AND money saving tips!
    www.buffalobroad.com

He's the thing, once upon a time my grandparents were from overseas. They were not born speaking English, they had to learn the language to work and get along. They did.
    First Amendment rights are like muscles, if you don't exercise them they will atrophy.

Quote Originally Posted by mesue
    He's the thing, once upon a time my grandparents were from overseas. They were not born speaking English, they had to learn the language to work and get along. They did.
    Amazing...they learned it, and spawned a family which also speaks English, without any kind of law compelling them to...
    But your being a dick
    ~Wnyresident

Quote Originally Posted by run4it
    Amazing...they learned it, and spawned a family which also speaks English, without any kind of law compelling them to...
    I never said they needed a law.
    First Amendment rights are like muscles, if you don't exercise them they will atrophy.

I never said they needed a law.
    That's my point. They didn't need one...and we don't need one now.

I wasn't trying to argue with you...just tangent from your point.
    But your being a dick
    ~Wnyresident

Fog--not trying to intensionally offend anyone. I am only saying what many people think, but are afraid to say for fear of being called a racist or ignorant. The illegals are getting a free ride and you pay for it. If you are comfortable with that arrangement, then you are the stupid one. I do not own a gun. I hate guns and I'll never understand why people want them. I even hate the NRA and everything that organization represents.
    Your so ignorant you don't even realize it. Is it just illegals getting a free ride? How about the Americans who don't do a damn thing and just have babies? Their OK with you? How many "wetbacks" do you know sir? Go back to foxnews, their calling.
    Peace Out Funky

Quote Originally Posted by run4it
    That's my point. They didn't need one...and we don't need one now.

I wasn't trying to argue with you...just tangent from your point.
    C'mon! I know you want to argue Bring it!

Townsfolk
    Quote Originally Posted by Velvet Fog
    How about the Americans who don't do a damn thing and just have babies? Their OK with you?
    I agree with you-- see east and west sides of Buffalo.

Townsfolk
    Exactly right! My grandfather arrives on Ellis Island in 1900. Must learn English to survive. 108 years later we must press 1 for English. What a crock of ****!

Townsfolk
    Quote Originally Posted by Michele J
    YES the above is pure ignorance .. you should be banned Townsfolk.. once upon a time YOUR ANCESTORS WERE FOREIGNERS HERE..
    Absolutely correct. The problem I have is that they settled on the east and west sides of Buffalo. Polish on the east and Italian on the west. The blacks and the hispanics drove them out to the burbs in the 60's and 70's. Thatcher used to be a wonderful street when I was 6 or 7. Been down there lately? Busti used to be a nice place back in the 60's. I remember visiting my great grand parents. Been down there lately?

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread Information