Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Development Guy?

Development Guy?

Seems like someone else might be bringing us disappointment....
    http://www.buffalonews.com/home/story/258494.html

Although, as much as it seems to be the fault of the developer, it looks like the local unions are once again aiding the death of another huge project downtown.

I wasn't overly optimistic that the skyscraper was going to be built anyway, but now I'm positive it won't be. As a union member, I'm disgusted, and sometimes I just wish I could be out of it.
    http://www.buffaloreuse.org/~kool aid free zone~

Townsfolk
    Exactly what I said on another post. Unions and politicians continue to impede progress and development.

It's just sad. As pessimistic as I was about this building getting built, I REALLY want to see the Buffalo skyline filled in with some more buildings.
    I don't know what my obsession is with it, I just want to see some more tall buildings being built.

There's all kinds of construction going on, but it seems that we stop at floor 10 every time. Someone has to beat out the HSBC building sometime.

The thing is, right where that building is (was) planned to go, is a spot in the skyline that could be nicely filled.
    Besides that, it just looks good for the city to have a skyscraper built. Damn it....we always seem to get the guys who are or are about to be bankrupt.

Oh, whatever. Thanks, unions.

Quote Originally Posted by keyboard150
    As a union member, I'm disgusted, and sometimes I just wish I could be out of it.
    But if it's that important to you, you can be out of a union.

I guess it's more fun to bite the hand that feeds....
    But your being a dick
    ~Wnyresident

Quote Originally Posted by run4it
    But if it's that important to you, you can be out of a union.

I guess it's more fun to bite the hand that feeds....
    No, I can't be out of the union. Unfortunately we're not given the choice, but you can still make stupid comments if you want.

Why not

I quit the Iron workers and found life much easier with out them. I also found much more work with out the union in my way. and still made the same money or more. the Iropn workers never had enough work to work year round once I walked it was easy to find year round work with out some jerk making sure I didnt cross fields
    One good thing about growing old is your secrets are safe with your friends they can't remember them either

Quote Originally Posted by granpabob
    I quit the Iron workers and found life much easier with out them. I also found much more work with out the union in my way. and still made the same money or more. the Iropn workers never had enough work to work year round once I walked it was easy to find year round work with out some jerk making sure I didnt cross fields
    That's good that you were able to do that. Apparently it's some requirement that a Buffalo Teacher must be a part of the union. I've asked about getting out of it before, and I was told I can't.

If Rumore continues his bull....maybe i'll just sue for my union dues or something...

I tried to join the Iron Workers in 1989, after having been one on the west coast and in Texas for some years.
    Hell, I was foreman for Brown & Root.
    When I tried to get into Local 6, I took the tests, and ended up #78 for the pre-apprenticeship program.
    They were looking to put on 5.

And they NEVER worked.

Taht'swhen I started driving Tractor Trailer.....
    Let me articulate this for you:
    "I'm not locked in here with them. They're locked in here with me!!"
    HipKat's Blog

Quote Originally Posted by keyboard150
    No, I can't be out of the union. Unfortunately we're not given the choice, but you can still make stupid comments if you want.
    My wife teaches in Buffalo, and she's not part of the union. It's called a private school.

If your convictions are so strong, you can get a teaching job outside of public schools, especially if you have experience working in them.

Until then, your whinings about the teachers union ring rather hollow...
    But your being a dick
    ~Wnyresident

if you are part of it live with it or change it

I could not change the iron workers so I found other work that I was comfortable with and happy. no one is forced to work anywhere , if you are not happy at work get out life is too short to work somewhere that is not a good fit
    One good thing about growing old is your secrets are safe with your friends they can't remember them either

welcome back grandpabob!
    Adopt an English Springer Spaniel.
    http://www.springerrescue.org
    "Striving to be the person
    that my dogs think I am"

www.BuffaloReUse.org

Quote Originally Posted by OneEmerald
    welcome back grandpabob!

I second that. I sent an email to Res about you a while back. Worried something happened. Missed the grumpy guy....

Quote Originally Posted by leftWNYbecauseofBS
    I second that. I sent an email to Res about you a while back. Worried something happened. Missed the grumpy guy....
    Thirded! And there's nothing grumpy about GrandpaBob. I met him at the 2006 picnic and he's one cool guy.

Maybe he'll come to the Feb. get together - hint, hint.

Quote Originally Posted by run4it
    My wife teaches in Buffalo, and she's not part of the union. It's called a private school.

If your convictions are so strong, you can get a teaching job outside of public schools, especially if you have experience working in them.

Until then, your whinings about the teachers union ring rather hollow...
    Telling someone to quit their job in a market that has few is just stupid. You've made some dumb comments before, but that one takes the cake.

Sometimes you have to suck it up and deal. Unfortunately, I have to deal with this union. It's either that or I starve.

I'll continue to whine about the teachers union, and it won't be hollow because they will be honest opinions and gripes. It's not my fault the union is the way it is, and it's not my fault i'm forced to be a part of it. Bottom line is, I wanted to teach in the BPS long before I graduated and knew about all this union garbage.
    I'm not going to leave my job just because the union is corrupt. You can't change ANYTHING by leaving.

It IS your fault, Key. You can pursue your chosen profession and not be in a union. It is YOUR choice to take that path. You have no one else to blame but yourself. So quite sniveling at me, and take a look in the mirror.

Face it, you owe your way of life to that union. Pretty poor form to bash the very thing that sustains you. But hey, I can't stop you from being a two-faced sniveler. You weave and thread your own rope here...
    But your being a dick
    ~Wnyresident

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information