Thread: NIAGARA COUNTY: Law enforcement academy graduates 16 recruits

NIAGARA COUNTY: Law enforcement academy graduates 16 recruits

http://www.niagara-gazette.com/local...016182338.html

NIAGARA COUNTY: Law enforcement academy graduates 16 recruits

(James Neiss/staff photographer Sanborn, NY - Niagara Falls Police recruit Miranda DalPorto greets dignitaries after receiving the special Highest Academics Award during graduation ceremonies of the Niagara County Law Enforcement Academy? 48th Basic Course for Police Officers at Niagara County Community College.)

(James Neiss/staff photographer Sanborn, NY - Graduates of the Niagara County Law Enforcement Academy? 48th Basic Course for Police Officers, stand at attention as they are recognized by those attending. The graduates, in alphabetical order are Donald Booth, Florence Brown, Miranda DalPorto, Timothy Ferchen, John-Paul Figlewski, Luke Giansante, Benjamin Gombein, Matthew Illig, William Malican, Michael Menth, Gary Miller, kenneth Moore Jr., Ever Quinones, Bruce Reynolds, Scott Warme and James Zablonski.)

- - -

New officers honored after five-month law enforcement program
    By April Amadon/amadona@gnnewspaper.com
    Niagara Gazette

Five months ago, they were very different people — a social studies teacher, a manager at a laundry establishment, a couple of Marines and a mother of three.

Now, the group of 16 recruits have joined the ranks of area police agencies.

The 48th Basic Recruit Class of the Niagara County Law Enforcement Academy graduated Wednesday during a ceremony at Niagara County Community College.

“They came from all walks of life,” said Sheriff’s Investigator Scott Elliot, co-director of the academy. “It’s an honor to train them and mold them and put them on their career path.”

Sheriff Thomas Beilein said the ceremony caused him to reflect on his own graduation from the Erie County Law Enforcement Academy almost 40 years ago.

“I’ll tell you how rewarding this career is,” he told the recruits. “I’d like to be sitting in your seats doing it again for another 40 years.”

Beilein told the graduates they were starting on a path that would test their resolve and their faith.

“You will see things the general public only hears about,” Beilein said. “You will come to realize there is a segment of our society out there that needs you to stand between them and another segment of society that would victimize them. ... You have a tremendous responsibility placed on your shoulders.”

Niagara Falls Mayor Paul Dyster was scheduled to be the keynote speaker, but pulled out at the last minute because he was invited to a meeting with Gov. Eliot Spitzer. In his place, Niagara Falls Police Chief John Chella spoke to the recruits about their future careers.

“Fasten your seat belts, ladies and gentlemen,” he said. “You are about to embark on a journey like none you have ever experienced.”

Miranda DalPorto was given the academic award for having the highest grades in the class. The high proficiency firearms award went to William Malican, the physical fitness award went to Gary Miller and the defensive tactics award went to Timothy Ferchen.

Malican was given the Joseph E. Steblein Memorial Award, named for the first director of the academy and given to the “best overall student,” Cain said.

The Jeffrey A. Incardona Memorial Award, named in honor of a sheriff’s deputy who died in the line of duty in 1993, was given to Kenneth Moore Jr. It’s given to the student who demonstrates the same leadership, spirit and teamwork.

Niagara Falls Police Detective Carlton Cain, academy co-director, said he and Elliot, the academy co-director, were both very proud of the recruits.

“I give you my word that on my honor, these recruits will never betray their badges, their character or the public trust,” Cain said. “They will uphold the Constitution, they will uphold their community and they will uphold the agencies they serve.”

Malican, who was voted class president, said the recruits were happy to have made it through a grueling five months.

“We all made it through together,” he said. “This is just the beginning. Our careers are just starting. ... Because of this academy, we will serve with honor, integrity and courage.”

ACADEMY GRADUATES

Members of the Niagara County Law Enforcement Academy’s 48th Basic Recruit Class:

• Donald Booth, Niagara Falls Police Department

• Florence Brown, University at Buffalo Police Department

• Miranda DalPorto, NFPD

• Timothy Ferchen, NFPD

• John-Paul Figlewski, NFPD

• Luke Giansante, Lockport Police Department

• Benjamin Gombien, NFPD

• Matthew Illig, NFPD

• William Malican, UBPD

• Michael Menth, NFPD

• Gary Miller, UBPD

• Kenneth Moore Jr., Village of Barker Police Department

• Ever Quinones, State Attorney General’s Office

• Bruce Reynolds, NFPD

• Scott Warme, NFPD

• James Zablonski, State Attorney General’s Office

Gee Funky, if you had taken the last test, that could have been you up there yo!

b.b.

Quote Originally Posted by BorderBob
    Gee Funky, if you had taken the last test, that could have been you up there yo!

b.b.
    I'm going in for my psychological on Sunday Bob.

If all goes well I will be in the March academy.

And that WOULD have been me up there if I would have passed the first physical. But I didn't. I passed the retest.

Quote Originally Posted by Dr Funky
    And that WOULD have been me up there if I would have passed the first physical. But I didn't. I passed the retest.
    You do graduate, Res will have to declare a SUWNY event! BTW, your psych evaluator know about your four thousand posts here/+

b.b.

scary thought of funky with a gun,huh???.....

Unregistered
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr Funky
    I'm going in for my psychological on Sunday Bob.

If all goes well I will be in the March academy.
    NF residents better be scared, except schvartzers & schmatte-heads.

Quote Originally Posted by BorderBob
    You do graduate, Res will have to declare a SUWNY event! BTW, your psych evaluator know about your four thousand posts here/+

b.b.
    lol

I could tell he was trying to test me even on the phone. So I dont know WHAT to expect when I meet him.

As a matter of fact I just got done jogging around Hyde Park. I love my new mp3 player...

Quote Originally Posted by bigpoppapuff
    scary thought of funky with a gun,huh???.....

Quote Originally Posted by SundayNiagara
    NF residents better be scared, except schvartzers & schmatte-heads.

...funny

Thread Information