Thread: Community key in Martin Luther King celebration

Community key in Martin Luther King celebration

http://www.niagara-gazette.com/local...017200313.html

Community key in Martin Luther King celebration

Several to be honored during Monday ceremony
    By Caitlin Murray/murrayc@gnnewspaper.com
    Niagara Gazette

Though it was 45 years ago that Martin Luther King Jr. delivered his “I Have A Dream” speech, his legacy continues to touch lives around the world and here in Niagara Falls.

The annual Rev. Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. Birthday Celebration will return for its 21st time on Monday, where community leaders and a student will be honored for exemplifying the values King stood for.

“They’re people that have been working in the community and have bettered the community in which they live,” said Judie Gregory, spokeswoman for the Niagara Falls School District, which is cosponsoring the event. “Our winners this year reflect a nice mix of people who are affecting change at all levels of society. Everybody has a role to play.”

This year’s honorees include Assemblywoman Francine DelMonte and Bill Williamson, who are both being honored with the Rev. Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. Civil Rights Achievement Award.

DelMonte introduced legislation to establish the Niagara Region African American Heritage Corridor, which would promote the preservation and historic landmarks in the Niagara Region, especially in relation to the Underground Railroad.

Williamson, an active community, volunteers at HANCI, The Health Association of Niagara County Inc., sits on the courthouse advisory board and has served on the board of directors at the Niagara Community Center.

The news that he’s being honored left Williamson “ecstatic.”

“I was very surprised,” he said. “Even though I do a lot of community work, I was still surprised I’d be chosen for such an honorable occasion.”

Kennia Adams, a senior at Niagara Falls High School, is being presented with the Civil Rights Youth Achievement Award.

Sal Constantino, who assists with Wolverine basketball at Niagara Falls High School, will be honored with the Spirit of Dr. King Award. He also volunteers with the Police Athletic League and collects donations for and distributes Christmas gifts to families, according to Gregory.

“For the school district, (the celebration) is important because the individuals honored are role models for our youth,” Gregory said. “It’s another piece of the educational puzzle showing that this is what education and action looks like.”

The ceremony will also feature a keynote address from St. John AME Church Pastor the Rev. Stanley Gordon Smith and performances by Niagara Falls Housing Authority Youth Choir and the African American Drum and Dance Troupe.

Sponsors of this year’s event are the National Federation for Just Communities of WNY, the Niagara Falls City School District, the Arts in Education Institute of WNY Inc., Niagara Falls Housing Authority and Niagara Falls Chapter, Links, Inc.

“It’s a great privilege, at least for me, to participate in celebration of Dr. King because there’s a significant legacy of Dr. King that’s reflected in the population that lives and resides in Niagara Falls,” said honorary chairman of the event and CEO of Niagara Falls Memorial Medical Center, Joseph Ruffolo. “It’s a very close-knit community. Helping each other and giving to one another is something the community shares.”

If you go

• WHAT: Martin Luther King Jr. Birthday Celebration

• WHEN: 6 p.m. Monday

• WHERE: Performing Arts Center, Niagara Falls High School, 4455 Porter Road

Sal Constatinio is a good guy.

Quote Originally Posted by Bringthetruth
    Sal Constatinio is a good guy.
    I remember him from the Y.

Thread Information