Thread: Democratic Elections Commissioner

Thumbs down Democratic Elections Commissioner

We frequently read about the incestuous nature of relationships that exist within the Giambra Administration, the tangled webs that have been woven. Yet now we have Len Lenihan pushing Dennis Ward as Elections Commissioner. Let's see now, Dennis, the younger brother of former County Executive Candidate, Dan Ward, who now serves as legal counsel for the majority in the Legislature, where his (Dan's) ex-girlfriend, Lynn Marinelli, is the majority leader. Hmmm - sounds like something Joel Giambra & the Republican Party would be criticized about. All I can express at this moment is that as a life-long Democrat, the day I see Dennis Ward as Commissioner, is the day that my beloved Party will never again receive a minute of my time or a dime of my money.

He seems like a very good candidate who is highly qualified. Maybe you would make a case if Dennis Ward was just some ECC drop-out shlep (like the County Executive) but that is not the case at all.
    I think you will find a lot of this someone knows somebody related to someone getting a job in any political party. Patronage is part of politics, for all its good and bad. The question you have to ask yourself is "Is Dennis Ward a qualified candidate?" The answer is yes. The post has to go to someone, and Lenihan is pushing someone who, while may be close to him, would be a great elections commissioner.
    It is not Lenihans choice, it is the Democratic Committees, subject to approval to the Legislature. He is pushing Dennis Ward, I beleive, because of his party loyalty and his qualifications. If you do not think Dennis Ward is the right candidate, who would you want to see in there?

Thumbs down Dennis Ward

It seems like an awfully high price to pay for a cross-endorsement of a judicial candidate:

http://www.buffalonews.com/editorial/20040923/1020309.asp

This just in...

At the bi-annual reorganization of the Erie County Democratic Committee tonight, Dennis Ward won unanimously as the new Democratic Elections Commissioner (9/23/04). I didn't attend the convention-like event so I didn't report on it, but I heard on good authority from someone who was there and thought it would go well with this thread.

Will Dennis Ward be giving up his private law practice to devote himself to his position as Elections Commissioner, or will he treat this $100,000+/yr patronage position as a part-time gig? Do our tax dollars pay this salary also?

Tony Fracasso - Admin
    YOu make a very good point.

Could Dennis Ward getting this position be as simple as "the powers that be" thinking that it's good to keep your friends close & your enemies even closer?

East of Millersport and now on Facebook at facebook.com/absolivious
    Please, NO more calls - We have a winner!
    Originally posted by WB_2004
    Could Dennis Ward getting this position be as simple as "the powers that be" thinking that it's good to keep your friends close & your enemies even closer?

Thread Information