Thread: Collins questions Fantasy Island request

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Collins questions Fantasy Island request

Martin's Fantasy Island is planning to bring two new rides to the Grand Island amusement park this summer, but whether it can receive a public-sector subsidy to help underwrite the investment remains up for debate.
    For the third time in the past three years, Fantasy Island's parent company, Amusements of WNY Inc., is seeking an inducement package from the Erie County Industrial Development Agency to help finance the investment. This time, the agency's directors have questions that they want answered before they will vote on the package.

Fantasy Island is bringing a 140-tall vertical swing and circus menagerie ride to the park. The two rides represent an $850,000 investment that park officials say will keep it competitive with other nearby amusement parks and also help to drive more business. The IDA incentive package will save the company $74,375 in sales taxes.

The park is considered IDA eligible because it is a tourist attraction, as defined by state IDA legislation.

http://www.bizjournals.com/buffalo/s...l?surround=lfn
    People who wonder if the glass is half empty or full miss the point. The glass is refillable.

I think Fantasy Island is going to need more then a swing to be completive. They need a new roller coaster or two. They already have the kid market locked down. With rising gas prices and an increase in tourism from Canada, FI could grow. Darien Lake is too far for a lot of people IMO.

For kids, you can't bet Fantasy Island---All I want is a midget who greets me at the front gate and I'd really be satisfied!
    Peace Out Funky

TimeOut Chair
    I usually go to Fantasy Island every year. It hasn't changed for as long as I can remember. Even with the toll increase, we'll still go this summer.

Tony Fracasso - Admin
    Doesn't fantasy island pay property taxes?

I see no issue zeroing out the sales tax. They are not reselling the ride persay... just expanding what they have to offer.

Quote Originally Posted by WNYresident
    Doesn't fantasy island pay property taxes?

I see no issue zeroing out the sales tax. They are not reselling the ride persay... just expanding what they have to offer.
    See, now I agree with Collins, here.

The spirit of the abatements is supposed to be for companies, that without an enhancement, could leave the area.
    Can you picture them relocating the amusement park?

Tony Fracasso - Admin
    If they weren't handing out "incentives" like candy I would agree. Fantasy Island I assume is paying thier full share of property taxes are they not? Acutally I would rather see no incentives at all. Everyone should get a break or no one.

Quote Originally Posted by therising
    See, now I agree with Collins, here.

The spirit of the abatements is supposed to be for companies, that without an enhancement, could leave the area.
    Can you picture them relocating the amusement park?

No but I can see them closing down or cutting staff.

Thread Information