Thread: Village Moves to End Ward System

Village Moves to End Ward System

Lancaster Village Board OKs vote on ending ward election of trustees
    By Sandra Tan NEWS STAFF REPORTER
    Updated: 01/16/08 6:50 AM
    http://www.buffalonews.com/cityregio...y/252942.html#

The Lancaster Village Board has taken another step toward downsizing its own governing body.

Monday, the board unanimously voted to give village residents the power to abolish the town’s old-fashioned system of electing its trustees by ward. Currently, the village is divided into three wards, with two trustees representing each one.

The mayor is separately elected as a townwide official, bringing the total number of people serving on the board to seven.

Mayor William Cansdale said that by turning all board seats into villagewide, at-large positions, it will be easier for the board to eventually reduce its size from seven members to five through attrition.

A referendum to abolish the ward system is scheduled for March 18, paving the way for the board to eliminate two positions by as early as next year.

“We’re the last village in Western New York . . . still electing trustees under the ward system,” Cansdale said.

He added that there is strong public support in the village for a reduction in board size. “If I was at the supermarket, if I was at a restaurant, I’ve even had people approach me at funeral homes — I’ve had people take me aside and say they support this, that this is a good idea,” Cansdale said.

He said there are concerns among some trustees about whether the elimination of wards was really necessary, but ultimately, everyone recognized the public push for change.

Deputy Mayor and First Ward Trustee Gary Ambrose called the ward system “antiquated.”

“It’s time to get rid of it,” he said. “It’s our first step in making our board two members smaller.”

Second Ward Trustee Joseph Dennis Sr. had expressed some initial interest in reducing the number of wards from three to two but said Tuesday he agrees that ending the ward system is best.

In fact, he said, the village should consider getting rid of its board altogether.

He pointed out that the village has handed over its Building Department, trash collection, animal control and police services to the Town of Lancaster and turned over its water services to the county.

That leaves the Village Board overseeing only the Fire Department, courts, sewers and Public Works Department, he said. “There isn’t much for seven to do, because half of our stuff has gone to the town,” Dennis said.

If voters approve ending the ward system in March, all board seats would become atlarge after the next general election for trustees in March 2009.

Both Ambrose and Dennis, who are completing their first terms and are up for re-election then, said Tuesday that they may not run for re-election next year. “It’s unlikely I will run again,” Ambrose said. “It’s just not a good fit for me right now.”

Dennis said, “I really don’t feel like I will run again. I’ll be 60 then. I might change my mind, depending on how I feel. Right now, my health is not so good.” If those two trustees choose not to run for re-election, their seats would be eliminated, bringing the board size down to five members.

I'm surprised to see Ambrose say he may not run again. He's doing a great job and is an asset to the Village.

Talking Giza and company blind to residents - Village has started to move !

Second Ward Trustee Joseph Dennis Sr. had expressed some initial interest in reducing the number of wards from three to two but said Tuesday he agrees that ending the ward system is best.

In fact, he said, the village should consider getting rid of its board altogether.

Bravo !

Mayor Cansdale and others should take a run at Town Board seats ! If he and his Village members would be interested - WOW what a time to make that move !

Next , after that would be a Town & Village merger ! Big bucks would be saved and maybe a Major dose of honesty and forethought could be attained .

And then , I woke up !

-

#Dems play musical chairs + patronage and nepotism = entitlement !

Good Job Lancaster

Good Job Lancaster in reducing your trustees! Here is the article from the Buffalo News.

http://www.buffalonews.com/cityregion/story/260219.html

Now look at merging the town and village for really big savings !

Quote Originally Posted by bornandraised
    Good Job Lancaster in reducing your trustees! Here is the article from the Buffalo News.

Based on my conversations with Village residents, it seems the idea of merging the two governments is gaining in popularity.

But, it's not going to happen overnight. As Kevin Gaughan says, "One step at a time."

bornandraised: Good Job Lancaster

Amen to that brother.

As someone who formerly lived in the Village of Depew, in both towns of Cheektowaga and Depew, I tired of the trite responses of all officials telling of the advantages of village autonomy.

The villages have serviced their purposes. The only advantages now go to the public sector jobs while the public has its pocketbooks picked.

Yes, it will take time Mr. Howell, only because the politicos will drag their feet and only leave screaming. Today's electorate is better educated and informed and wants the duplication process stopped.

These guys are to be commended. It's not every elected official that takes steps to eliminate their jobs. (Yes, I know they're part time jobs, but still...)

Originally posted by therising
    These guys are to be commended. It's not every elected official that takes steps to eliminate their jobs. (Yes, I know they're part time jobs, but still...)
    I agree totally. KUDOS! to the Village of Lancaster. It's refreshing to hear that there are public officials that are selfless and are trying to do what is right for the community they serve.

Georgia L Schlager

Vote is Tuesday to end Ward System

Seems like one idea to reduce taxes (eliminating the ward system) may be offset by an increase in Firefighters benefits.

I have to admit, I don't know what the "Length of Service Awards Program" means exactly, so if someone can explain I'd appreciate it.

http://www.buffalonews.com/cityregio...ry/298793.html

LANCASTER
    Village voters to weigh in on ward system, firefighters
    By Irene Liguori NEWS STAFF REPORTER
    Updated: 03/14/08 6:55 AM

Village of Lancaster residents will enter the voting booths Tuesday to cast votes on two special propositions — one to abolish the village’s ward system and the other to change service awards for Lancaster’s volunteer firefighters.

Village polling places will be open from noon to 9 p.m.

The firefighters’ Length of Service Awards Program proposition increases the maximum years of qualified active service for which a firefighter can earn benefits from 20 years to 30 years.

In addition, maximum monthly benefits for working firefighters would rise from $400 per month to $600 per month for those with 30 years of service with the department.

Approval of the referendum will keep the department competitive with incentives offered by other municipal fire departments in the area, such as Bowmansville and Twin District, according to Gregg Smith, president of the Lancaster Volunteer Fire Department.

The total estimated cost of the program would be $132,221 annually.

In a letter mailed to residents earlier this month, Smith explained that New York State allows municipalities to offer up to a 40-year service award program, but Lancaster firefighters are asking for a 30-year program “to keep the plan affordable.”

“We feel the cost of the program is nominal for the results we anticipate to achieve,” said Smith. With the changes proposed in the proposition, he pegs the cost per village household at an extra 60 cents per month.

The second proposition on the ballot Tuesday is a referendum to abolish the ward system of electing members of the Lancaster Village Board.

Lancaster is the last village in the State of New York using a ward system.

Currently, the village is divided into three wards, with two trustees representing each ward.

If approved, the resolution would pave the way for the Lancaster Village Board to eliminate two positions by as early as next year, saving taxpayer dollars by downsizing the number of elected village officials. Also, all Village Board seats would become at-large after the next general election for trustees in March 2009.

iliguori@buffnews.com

Lightbulb No vote to reduce number$

Quote Buffalo News :"The second proposition on the ballot Tuesday is a referendum to abolish the ward system of electing members of the Lancaster Village Board.

Lancaster is the last village in the State of New York using a ward system.
    Currently, the village is divided into three wards, with two trustees representing each ward.
    If approved, the resolution would pave the way for the Lancaster Village Board to eliminate two positions by as early as next year, saving taxpayer dollars by downsizing the number of elected village officials. Also, all Village Board seats would become at-large after the next general election for trustees in March 2009." (end)

The Village Board should reduce the number of Elected Officials - Bravo ! ? ! ? !

-

But until they put that order into a signed , approved amendment - that is only speculation at this point. Many roads are paved within Lancaster's Political arena - unfortunately though - many end up being dead ends.

This vote , even if successful ( I believe it will be) only reduces accountability ! I support the reduction - but thats not whats being voted on ! Whats being voted on basically relieves the Board Members of being accountable to their "Ward" residents . Nothing more - nothing less .

Until the Village Board positions are eliminated - no tax dollars are saved - no services will improve - No ones representation will improve - your taxes wont be positively be affected .

Media attention and speculation is just that ! No contract , No Enforceable , actual change ! I don't believe there is any language in the "Ward dissolution" proposal that mandates the end result will be a reduction in the size of government.

Just my opinion - I hope to write in 2009 that the Village reduced its number of Board seats !

-
    #Dems play musical chairs + patronage and nepotism = entitlement !

Thread Information