Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Adaptive Reuse

Adaptive Reuse

Ive been looking into what other cities do with buildings that can no longer be used for their intended purposes and some cities have come up with wonderful ideas.. In NYC St Anns church was turned into a dormitory for NYU students.
    In Buffalo the old alternative school on Oak St was turned into apartments.
    A small church in North Buffalo was also converted into apartments,
    WTS mentioned charter schools possibly filling dormant churches.
    St Gerards Church on Bailey & Delavan has plenty of room for apartments,a school,offices etc...
    St James while nowhere near as stately as St Gerards also has a large school behind the church in which I could see being reused as apartments( or even another school) and the church used for offices etc..
    A BIG concern is the diocese will they be fair in their selling prices?
    Im interested in hearing from others on ideas that may be out there in regards to reusing these beautiful buildings.. How do we market them to developers?
    WNY's link to the latest deals,printable coupons AND money saving tips!
    www.buffalobroad.com

Quote Originally Posted by Michele J
    Ive been looking into what other cities do with buildings that can no longer be used for their intended purposes and some cities have come up with wonderful ideas.. In NYC St Anns church was turned into a dormitory for NYU students.
    In Buffalo the old alternative school on Oak St was turned into apartments.
    A small church in North Buffalo was also converted into apartments,
    WTS mentioned charter schools possibly filling dormant churches.
    St Gerards Church on Bailey & Delavan has plenty of room for apartments,a school,offices etc...
    St James while nowhere near as stately as St Gerards also has a large school behind the church in which I could see being reused as apartments( or even another school) and the church used for offices etc..
    A BIG concern is the diocese will they be fair in their selling prices?
    Im interested in hearing from others on ideas that may be out there in regards to reusing these beautiful buildings.. How do we market them to developers?
    Its funny isn't it---I thought the Church was there for the people? Stupid me. I hate watching my mother give the Catholic thieves $25 a week! What a joke--Religion? Ya right--more like Religness.
    Religness= a word used to describe a business that uses religion as a front.
    Peace Out Funky

Well you better start thinking fast, Corpus Christi Church needs your help.

Quote Originally Posted by CSense
    Well you better start thinking fast, Corpus Christi Church needs your help.
    Corpus Christi Church is doing very well.. and they are not "run" by the diocese.
    www.buffalobroad.com

I went to a party in Pittsburgh a few years ago that was held at a Bar called Church Brew Works which is actually one of these "reuse" churches. Check out the photographs! I have to say, it was a weird feeling drinking beer inside this place. The former Alter now holds the brewing "works" ...talk about an inner sanctum!

history

Quote Originally Posted by buffy
    I went to a party in Pittsburgh a few years ago that was held at a Bar called Church Brew Works which is actually one of these "reuse" churches. Check out the photographs! I have to say, it was a weird feeling drinking beer inside this place. The former Alter now holds the brewing "works" ...talk about an inner sanctum!

history
    Thank you Buffy...it is alittle weird but its also kinda cool.. That may be an idea for one of the churches here..maybe even something a brewery would like.. on site brewing and a bar in one!
    www.buffalobroad.com

history

Wow, I think that I would go to church at least 4-5 days a week!!!
    PUGS !!!

There is a church in Atlanta that is now a restaurant. Can't remember the name though, it was years ago I was there.

And to think, other cities don't just let the buildings fall into decay and then pull the preservationists card. Odd.

I haven't read this yet, but thought I would post it up because, hey, you never now what might come of it.

it cites The National Trust for Historic Preservation

thank you Buffy
    www.buffalobroad.com

http://www.sacredplaces.org
    this website has alot if nof on churches that have been reused.
    www.buffalobroad.com

Michele, has anyone gotten a statement from the diocese on what their plans are for these churches? I mean, has the diocese given ANY indication that they will work with the community to help us make the buildings more attractive to developers or communities for reuse?

Michele, has anyone gotten a statement from the diocese on what their plans are for these churches? I mean, has the diocese given ANY indication that they will work with the community to help us make the buildings more attractive to developers or communities for reuse?
    No, But from what I heard thru the grapevine is that some of them will be put up for sale..I know the diocese has a contract they use when selling a church that outlines all the things the church can NOT become..I think I will make some calls tomorrow and find out who is in charge of marketing the churches once they are empty.
    www.buffalobroad.com

Well...

Quote Originally Posted by Harlem World
    Wow, I think that I would go to church at least 4-5 days a week!!!

Preservation aside, adaptive reuse for these "abandoned" buildings, which now will quickly multiply, is essential for the stability and future of many neighborhoods, towns and villages. By and large, the reuse generally reconfigure the interiors, not the exterior. That, in itself, pre-empts the preservations.

The king urban life center on Genesee is another successful reuse ...I think HUD, The city & BMHA should look at these churches BEFORE the start building more wafer box homes.
    Co-ops is another idea...
    www.buffalobroad.com

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information