Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Randolph

Randolph

...is an adorable, historic, little town...those little old quaint homes; I'll tell ya, bring them closer to the city and I'd have to have one.

I lived there for a few years. (Yes, I was a Randolph Children's Home boy). I loved it there... it was beautiful, and eventually I had Amish neighbors, which was a very enlightening experience.
    http://www.buffaloreuse.org/~kool aid free zone~

Quote Originally Posted by keyboard150
    I lived there for a few years. (Yes, I was a Randolph Children's Home boy). I loved it there... it was beautiful, and eventually I had Amish neighbors, which was a very enlightening experience.
    Yes, another well-kept WNY secret.

Funny you should mention Amish, because as I was traveling the winding roads of Catt. County, dodging their wagons , I became VERY curious about their culture. Do you know anything about them, other than the obvious?

Quote Originally Posted by wheresthesun

Funny you should mention Amish, because as I was traveling the winding roads of Catt. County, dodging their wagons , I became VERY curious about their culture. Do you know anything about them, other than the obvious?

i had an amish girlfriend once...a real freak....she always wanted to make love with the lights on......

riiiiiiiiiimmmmmmmmshot!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by bigpoppapuff
    i had an amish girlfriend once...a real freak....she always wanted to make love with the lights on......

riiiiiiiiiimmmmmmmmshot!!!!!!
    Yeah, like I said, "curry...."

Well, that's kind of an open-ended question. What did you want to know?
    http://www.buffaloreuse.org/~kool aid free zone~

Quote Originally Posted by keyboard150
    Well, that's kind of an open-ended question. What did you want to know?
    You said living next door to Amish was an enlightening experience, so I thought I'd ask you to elaborate, but nothing specific.

To know more about the Amish you could watch the movie, "The Witness".
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zAMT3...eature=related

My neighbors sold some of their standing timber to the Amish. They bring their horses, all their equipment/tools, and a crew to harvest choice lumber to be made into furniture, floors, cabinets, etc. The women show up to feed them lunch. They're quiet and dont leave any mess in the woods.

20/20 report -
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a4uMH...eature=related

Do you know anything about them, other than the obvious?
    My distant ancestors were Amish and I lived in an Amish & Mennonite community for 20 years (Pennsylvania). Is there something specific you would like to know?

Are the Amish social outside of their culture? Also, what is their religion, and do they have actual churches or do they worship inside their homes?

Quote Originally Posted by Sylvan
    To know more about the Amish you could watch the movie, "The Witness".
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zAMT3...eature=related
    Any reason to feast on Kelly McGillis. Mmmmmmm......
    But your being a dick
    ~Wnyresident

Are the Amish social outside of their culture?
    There's the official answer, and the unofficial answer.

Here's the official answer:
    They don't socialize outside of their culture in the sense that most of us would define socialization. Most outsiders find them cold and unwelcoming. That's because the Amish just want to be left alone. Speaking manners (please, thank you) are considered pretentious or fancy and aren't used. The Amish are open to socialization through their businesses. Their rules for interaction with outsiders has become more liberal in the past 2-3 decades and it's not uncommon to find Amish families running convenience/grocery stores, in addition to general contractor services. Their carpentry and remodeling expertise is second to none and one third the price of competing contractors.

Here's the unofficial answer:
    They are just as social as any Tom, Dick, or Harry when removed from the ever-present eyes of the "group". This is especially true for the younger males. My father used to race drag cars with many Amish guys in the 70's. The Amish kids would rent a nearby barn, buy a muscle car, and store it in the rented barn. On Friday nights the Amish guy would ride his buggy to the barn, change into modern-day street clothes, then go racing. I've also spent my fair share of time getting pretty hammered with some of the local Amish guys. The pizza shop I worked at in high school was an Amish hangout. They act just like any other teenager looking to have a good time, but they are extremely naive.

what is their religion
    They are protestants.

do they have actual churches or do they worship inside their homes
    Several families will usually gather in groups at one home. If you see horses and buggies parked outside of a church it is probably a mennonite congregation.

Quote Originally Posted by nickelcityhomes
    There's the official answer, and the unofficial answer.

Here's the official answer:
    They don't socialize outside of their culture in the sense that most of us would define socialization. Most outsiders find them cold and unwelcoming. That's because the Amish just want to be left alone. Speaking manners (please, thank you) are considered pretentious or fancy and aren't used. The Amish are open to socialization through their businesses. Their rules for interaction with outsiders has become more liberal in the past 2-3 decades and it's not uncommon to find Amish families running convenience/grocery stores, in addition to general contractor services. Their carpentry and remodeling expertise is second to none and one third the price of competing contractors.

Here's the unofficial answer:
    They are just as social as any Tom, Dick, or Harry when removed from the ever-present eyes of the "group". This is especially true for the younger males. My father used to race drag cars with many Amish guys in the 70's. The Amish kids would rent a nearby barn, buy a muscle car, and store it in the rented barn. On Friday nights the Amish guy would ride his buggy to the barn, change into modern-day street clothes, then go racing. I've also spent my fair share of time getting pretty hammered with some of the local Amish guys. The pizza shop I worked at in high school was an Amish hangout. They act just like any other teenager looking to have a good time, but they are extremely naive.

They are protestants.

Several families will usually gather in groups at one home. If you see horses and buggies parked outside of a church it is probably a mennonite congregation.
    This is very very interesting; thank you for taking the time.

There's a park on top of a hill near Cassadaga. Overview Park, I think. Anyway, we try to go there on a clear day when we are in the area. You can see the shock camp in Brockton, Buffalo, and I think Canada, but not sure if it is Port Colburne or Fort Erie. Anyway, one day while we were there, a buggy pulls up and 3 young women get out. They are dressed in traditional long blue dresses and had bonnets on. They walked together, arm in arm, all 3 of them. Another buggy pulled up and there were 3 young men in black pants, buttoned shirts, beards and black hat. I don't know if it was a date, or how they just hung out. I was taken aback when one of the young men popped open a pack of Marlboros and lit one up. I had always thought the Mennonites were more legalistic in their body being a temple and not succumbing to the outside world. I remember thinking that if they smoked, why don't they have electricity?
    First Amendment rights are like muscles, if you don't exercise them they will atrophy.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information