Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Board urged to approve high school girls hockey team

Board urged to approve high school girls hockey team

A group of teen and preteen girls and their parents have asked the Amherst Central School Board to create a varsity high school girls ice hockey team for the 2008-09 school year.

Six female club hockey players and four parents made the request during Tuesday’s meeting of the board.

Parent Isabelle Posner said the club hockey players decided to come before the board after the Williamsville School District announced it would consider fielding a team.

Williamsville, however, dropped the plan, it was announced during a meeting of the board Tuesday night.

In light of the 35th anniversary of Title IX this year, Posner said, the time seems right to consider adding the new sport to the Amherst High School offerings.

“It is interesting to note that the boys here have twice the number of winter sports choices to participate in than the girls do,” Posner said. “I know that wasn’t done on purpose, but it is something to note.”
    Several of the girls said they play club hockey or have played on coed teams with boys. However, they said, coed play in checking leagues can be too physical for many girls. Other girls told stories of having to dress in a separate locker room, apart from their team and frequently missing out on locker room talks from coaches.

Posner said there are about 150 girls currently competing in the club hockey program.

http://www.buffalonews.com/cityregio...ry/247325.html
    People who wonder if the glass is half empty or full miss the point. The glass is refillable.

I think this is a great idea and long overdue.

Unregistered
    yes lets give a bunch of high school lesbians testosterone patches, padding and ice skates or the liberal femanazi parent will use Title IX to sue the district....so now the school taxes are going to go up so 6 girls can play in a hockey league and the school can avoid a lawsuit.

When will someone just slap these bitches and send them off to Iraq?

Here honey you want to play hockey...here is an M16 your shipping out to afghanistan next week.

Here honey you want to run for president...here is your bayonette, learn how to use it your in afghanistan next week

Here honey you want to be a CEO....lets send you to the sudan.

I love how all this liberal empowerment of women is good for everything except serving their country, avoiding the draft and avoiding shared custody and all the other responsibilities that go with gender equality which no one ever hears about.

Nope....its never gender equality for the things women dont want...right. What a f-n bitch of a mother...man Id give that mother a few choice words.

Quote Originally Posted by Timmy
    yes lets give a bunch of high school lesbians testosterone patches, padding and ice skates or the liberal femanazi parent will use Title IX to sue the district....so now the school taxes are going to go up so 6 girls can play in a hockey league and the school can avoid a lawsuit.

Here honey you want to play hockey...here is an M16 your shipping out to afghanistan next week.

Here honey you want to run for president...here is your bayonette, learn how to use it your in afghanistan next week

Here honey you want to be a CEO....lets send you to the sudan.

I love how all this liberal empowerment of women is good for everything except serving their country, avoiding the draft and avoiding shared custody and all the other responsibilities that go with gender equality which no one ever hears about.

Nope....its never gender equality for the things women dont want...right. What a f-n bitch of a mother...man Id give that mother a few choice words.

Man, I hope you don't have a daughter - or a son. You'd make a helluva role model.

There is no draft. I am sure, in time, if there is another one, there will be a move to include women. What do you have against gays? I believe the more homophobic one is, the more insecure they are about their own sexuality.

yes lets give a bunch of high school lesbians testosterone patches, padding and ice skates or the liberal femanazi parent will use Title IX to sue the district....so now the school taxes are going to go up so 6 girls can play in a hockey league and the school can avoid a lawsuit.......
    I'm speechless. I can't believe your disability extends to hockey and games.

Timmy,
    I am going to assume you didn't play High School sports. However, I am sure they were made available to you. That's what these girls and their parents are asking for.
    Now you believe they should be sent off to Iraq for wanting what you had? What war was it that you served in (or what peace time years did you serve in) for having had the opportunity to participate in a high school sport?

How many bayonettes have you weilded? How many hours did you spend practicing the techniques required to be able to defend yourself and/or take a life with a bayonette?

I don't recall seeing any contract that stated that I had to enlist for playing sports in high school. What high school did you go to that required this and what branch of the service did you enlist in?

Unregistered
    if you make the claim that your gender is being discriminated and you want equality....and all your challenges are for equality but then refuse the responsibilities associated with such equality then your a leach and a whore

frankly thats what most feminist anti-male nazis are....

if you make the claim that your gender is being discriminated and you want equality....and all your challenges are for equality but then refuse the responsibilities associated with such equality then your a leach and a whore

Last time I looked people were not being drafted, they sign up, and there are women over in Iraq and Afghanistan.

So now they're whores for wanting to play hockey?

Timmy,
    Have you ever carried an M16? How about an M16 with a bayonette attached?
    What branch of the military did you enlist with in order to get the oportunity to play sports?

These are not hard questions Timmy. Why won't you answer them?

Timmy:
    I HOPE that you never carried an M16 or a bayonette!! Get some help!!!

Timmy:

Don Imus just called. Wants to know if you can Guest-Host his show all next week!

I'm all for equality in gender, especially in our schools. But how much more can the property owners take with rising school taxes? I don't know the answer to having a girls hockey team because we have a boys hockey team. Maybe both boys and girls hockey should be an outside activity. Please don't jump at me for hoping that school boards consider costs for programs that are not academic.

Quote Originally Posted by etc
    I'm all for equality in gender, especially in our schools. But how much more can the property owners take with rising school taxes? I don't know the answer to having a girls hockey team because we have a boys hockey team. Maybe both boys and girls hockey should be an outside activity. Please don't jump at me for hoping that school boards consider costs for programs that are not academic.
    I totally agree with you re. school costs. But the real - and obviously unpopular - answer is to CUT back on boys' sports so that girls also can have opportunities. Or, as you say, make them outside activities.

First of all, ignore the troll please.................

Secondly, I am all for expanding girls sports, I have a dd, that being said, if I remember correctly and I could be wrong, there are no other girls hockey teams close by for them to even play? Perhaps it would be better to contact other districts first to see if this is a viable option for a year down the road? Or would that make too much sense?
    Colleen

Tony Fracasso - Admin
    Why can't the parents have this kids go play on a league at the Pepsi Center like parents do with other sports?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information