Thread: Who's noticed the difference?

TimeOut Chair

Who's noticed the difference?

In Governor's Spitzer's State of Upstate address, he said:

To lower costs, we cut workers’ comp premiums by over 20 percent—a cost savings to New York businesses of $1.2 billion dollars. We also held the line on taxes. In fact, we actually cut taxes—reducing business taxes and providing additional property tax relief to middle-class New Yorkers.
    I'm middle class, and I haven't noticed a difference because the cost of living has risen, thus any reduction of taxes has been long eaten up by the higher cost of everything else.

Last year I had a new energy efficient furnace installed, there is no savings shown because the cost of delivering gas to our home has risen over the off-set that could be put into our pockets.

Quote Originally Posted by woodstock
    Last year I had a new energy efficient furnace installed, there is no savings shown because the cost of delivering gas to our home has risen over the off-set that could be put into our pockets.
    Amen to that. Two years ago I bought a Ford Escape Hybrid. I'm now almost paying as much for gas as I paid when I had the Taurus.

I installed all new energy savings light bulbs in my house. I bought a new, energy efficient dryer (because my old dryer died). I put in new, insulated blinds and drapes in the windows that didn't already have them. I used to keep my thermostat at 68. Now it's set at 66. (We wear heavier clothing.) But the costs for energy are rising faster than the savings from the improvements.

Spitzer may have cut state taxes, though I doubt it, but the County raised the sales tax, adding to the increased cost of most of the merchandise I buy.

It seems no matter how hard I try to cut back and be energy efficient, the steep increase in the costs of materials seems to wipe out all the savings.

Count me as another one who doesn't notice the difference.

My salary has been stagnant for the last 4 years and everything else keeps going up. We also switched to energy efficient bulbs and didn't notice a difference.

We're down to being a one car family, but that doesn't really save us any money on gas, just car payments. I went many years without cable tv and I'm thinking I might have to drop that also...just use my computer for entertainment.
    1 Corinthians 13:1 "If I speak in the languages of men and of angels, but have not love, I am only a resounding gong or a clanging cymbal."

Thread Information