Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Chris Collins and Regionalism

Chris Collins and Regionalism

There is a pretty good article in the paper today by Bruce Fisher that I think everyone should read:
    http://www.buffalonews.com/149/story/244943.html

It makes a lot of good points about the Buffalo Region as a whole, and what we should set out to do in the next decade.

Obviously regionalism is a big piece of this, a concept that I strongly support. Does anyone know what Chris Collins stance is on regionalism? I have found him to be fairly mute on the topic, and I cannot find anything on his thoughts anywhere.

Anyone know? Is he quiet on purpose? Does he support it?
    http://www.buffaloreuse.org/~kool aid free zone~

He maybe mute on the subject because WNY voters are against it. Joel tried it and it went nowhere.
    Until Wnyers' undestand and embrace the idea we are not going to move forward. We will stay a loosing region until that time.

Quote Originally Posted by keyboard150
    There is a pretty good article in the paper today by Bruce Fisher that I think everyone should read:
    http://www.buffalonews.com/149/story/244943.html

It makes a lot of good points about the Buffalo Region as a whole, and what we should set out to do in the next decade.

Obviously regionalism is a big piece of this, a concept that I strongly support. Does anyone know what Chris Collins stance is on regionalism? I have found him to be fairly mute on the topic, and I cannot find anything on his thoughts anywhere.

Anyone know? Is he quiet on purpose? Does he support it?
    I have never read the stance from Chris but he will sing a different tone that what has come out in the past.

Most of the voices today want the burbs to fold into the city. For the burbs to take on the burden of public housing and give up their performing police departments. For the burbs to help out with all of the issues in the city. But with all of these demands, the people demanding it do not want to give any power to the burbs for their effort. As we all know this to be a give and take.

Frankly a lot of the regional voices think Buffalo has the upper hand, which they do not.

If a regional effort is to ever happen, and it should, Buffalo is going to have to suck it up that they will not be sitting at the head of the table calling the shots but rather have equal if not less say then the burbs.

Quote Originally Posted by leftWNYbecauseofBS
    I have never read the stance from Chris but he will sing a different tone that what has come out in the past.

Most of the voices today want the burbs to fold into the city. For the burbs to take on the burden of public housing and give up their performing police departments. For the burbs to help out with all of the issues in the city. But with all of these demands, the people demanding it do not want to give any power to the burbs for their effort. As we all know this to be a give and take.

Frankly a lot of the regional voices think Buffalo has the upper hand, which they do not.

If a regional effort is to ever happen, and it should, Buffalo is going to have to suck it up that they will not be sitting at the head of the table calling the shots but rather have equal if not less say then the burbs.

Former Amherst Councilman Bill Kindel, of all people, once suggested that the burbs take over parts of the city. Cheektowaga take over the eastside, Amherst take over the city neighborhoods that border it. He figured the towns had the stability to do so, and would get additional state and fed funds if they stepped up to the plate to deal with the city.

It seemed like a looney idea to me at the time, but lately I'm wondering if it isn't workable. The city, of course, would hate it. But it is a version of regionalism.

I actually read the article (YYYAAAWWNNN!). There was nothing new in it. The reason that "regionalism" favored by Giambra, Fisher, Gaughan, and the Buffalo News is unpopular is because it all it wants to do is concentrate control of local government into the hands of the some failed "leaders" who've done so well by Buffalo in the past -- and I don't necessarily mean politicians. What these people don't want is 2 power sources -- Fisher actually says that when he talks about how the city had like 500,000 people in a county of 700,000 -- and how much better that was -- at least for Buffalo "leaders".

Consolidation of local governments into one large government entity isn't going to solve the region's problems. If it was, why then have city or county governments at all? Just do away with them and let Albany run everything? Now, that would save a lot more money than Giambra or Gaughan's dumbazz power grabs.

I don't know to what extent Collins is (or is not) in favor of regionalism, but during the Central Terminal debate, he did touch on it.
    He is all for combining the IDA's (small part of regionalism, but still important)
    He is for combining services where it makes sense and will make a difference.
    He commented (paraphrased by me) that there have been issues in the past that have caused a great deal of mistrust and that has to be addressed before true regionalism can be achieved. My feeling was he is not in favor of it if it benefits only one part of the county and not the county as a whole. That is only my take on it though. I believe he touched upon the subject in early interviews as well, I just can't remember which ones.

It's scary, but we agree, Lefty. Most regionalism is simply a power grab to try to put the city back in control -- or I should say, the city "leaders" back in control.

Quote Originally Posted by cookie
    I don't know to what extent Collins is (or is not) in favor of regionalism, but during the Central Terminal debate, he did touch on it.
    He is all for combining the IDA's (small part of regionalism, but still important)
    He is for combining services where it makes sense and will make a difference.
    He commented (paraphrased by me) that there have been issues in the past that have caused a great deal of mistrust and that has to be addressed before true regionalism can be achieved. My feeling was he is not in favor of it if it benefits only one part of the county and not the county as a whole. That is only my take on it though. I believe he touched upon the subject in early interviews as well, I just can't remember which ones.
    Which is the smart way to go. That's what "regionalism" means here in the Southern Tier. The county takes on a lot of tasks that the towns and even the cities (Jamestown, Olean, and Dunkirk) can't afford to do. Consolidation comes from the bottom up: the Westfield and Ripley school districts are discussing consolidating while the City of Jamestown provides water, electricity, and trash pick up to neighboring towns like Ellicott and Busti. I believe the county legislature is looking into possibly taking over road maintenance -- or providing work crews and equipment on an "as needed" basis to towns for their road maintenance.

Quote Originally Posted by atotaltotalfan2001
    Former Amherst Councilman Bill Kindel, of all people, once suggested that the burbs take over parts of the city. Cheektowaga take over the eastside, Amherst take over the city neighborhoods that border it. He figured the towns had the stability to do so, and would get additional state and fed funds if they stepped up to the plate to deal with the city.

It seemed like a looney idea to me at the time, but lately I'm wondering if it isn't workable. The city, of course, would hate it. But it is a version of regionalism.
    Personally for me I like the idea of a borough system. With 4 areas making up the City of Buffalo.

Borough 1:
    The City of Buffalo would be the center and would annex the City of Lackawanna and the Town of Kenmore.
    Population: 328,000 est

Borough 2:
    The Town and City of Tonawanda, the Town of Amherst and the Town of Clarence would all merge.
    Population: 220,000 est.

Borough 3:
    The town of Cheektowaga, Sloan, Depew, the Town and Village of Lancaster, the Town of West Seneca and the Town of Elma would all merge.
    Population: 165,000

Borough 4:
    Blasdell, the Town and Village of Hamburg, the Town of Orchard Park, Aurora and East Aurora would all merge.
    Population: 105,000

Each borough would have their 1 Police Department, 1 school district, 1 streets/highway department, 1 parks department. Essentially 1 of everything that exists in multiple layers today.

Each borough would have 2 members in a common council and all 4 boroughs would elect one mayor.

The population for the combined city would be around 820,000 would would dramatically change the landscape of the power in terms of State and Federal funding and power.

This would also protect the burbs from the crap in the city like the schools and police departments.

I started reading the article, but I so dislike Bruce Fisher that I couldn't finish. He helped make things even more of a mess.

Quote Originally Posted by atotaltotalfan2001

I do not believe suburban police officers have the same size balls that Buffalo City Cops have, pardon my French, svp. That said, as a Snyder resident who regularly walks & cycles in the University District, I know that students are targets and dozens of attacks happen. There's a shady bike path entrance behind the train station on Main near Hertle that we've had to avoid due to loitering men. They were intimidating. Then I read of muggings happening there and around the train station.

You must mean where I recently take my kids sledding, where I walk to the train station, where I take them to the library, where I walk to my friends house (I walk through that "shady" park / bike path), for the past oh say 15 years now without a problem?? Buffy...you mean that area?? I know, it's dangerous...stay away..make sure you tell everyone to stay away...

Quote Originally Posted by buffy
    I do not believe suburban police officers have the same size balls that Buffalo City Cops have, pardon my French, svp. That said, as a Snyder resident who regularly walks & cycles in the University District, I know that students are targets and dozens of attacks happen. There's a shady bike path entrance behind the train station on Main near Hertle that we've had to avoid due to loitering men. They were intimidating. Then I read of muggings happening there and around the train station.

Rather narrow minded don't you think. Just because you work in the ghetto does not make you a good cop. Just the same as working in the burbs does not make you soft.

I think any department has solid cops and ones that are worthless. I know Amherst has little need for it but their SWAT team trains with the Canadian version of the Canadian Navy Seals. Know a couple of bad asses who could not complete it.

To take a your narrow view further, maybe they should not allow women to be cops. After all they do not have balls and nowhere as close to imposing as men.

My comment on the burbs not wanted to give up their police force is based on quality of service. Not just busting the bad guys but how they interact with the general public.

Personally for me I like the idea of a borough system. With 4 areas making up the City of Buffalo.

Borough 1:
    The City of Buffalo would be the center and would annex the City of Lackawanna and the Town of Kenmore.
    Population: 328,000 est

Borough 2:
    The Town and City of Tonawanda, the Town of Amherst and the Town of Clarence would all merge.
    Population: 220,000 est.

Borough 3:
    The town of Cheektowaga, Sloan, Depew, the Town and Village of Lancaster, the Town of West Seneca and the Town of Elma would all merge.
    Population: 165,000

Borough 4:
    Blasdell, the Town and Village of Hamburg, the Town of Orchard Park, Aurora and East Aurora would all merge.
    Population: 105,000

Each borough would have their 1 Police Department, 1 school district, 1 streets/highway department, 1 parks department. Essentially 1 of everything that exists in multiple layers today.

Each borough would have 2 members in a common council and all 4 boroughs would elect one mayor.

The population for the combined city would be around 820,000 would would dramatically change the landscape of the power in terms of State and Federal funding and power.

This would also protect the burbs from the crap in the city like the schools and police departments.
    Ok...this time I'm serious. It's REALLY too bad you don't live in the area so you can help us solve some of these problems.
    But your being a dick
    ~Wnyresident

Rather narrow minded don't you think. Just because you work in the ghetto does not make you a good cop. Just the same as working in the burbs does not make you soft.

I think any department has solid cops and ones that are worthless. I know Amherst has little need for it but their SWAT team trains with the Canadian version of the Canadian Navy Seals. Know a couple of bad asses who could not complete it.

To take a your narrow view further, maybe they should not allow women to be cops. After all they do not have balls and nowhere as close to imposing as men.

My comment on the burbs not wanted to give up their police force is based on quality of service. Not just busting the bad guys but how they interact with the general public.
    A really sensible way to regionalize police in Erie County might be to make specialized units like detectives or sex crimes be county-wide so that they could investigate serious crimes across the county while ordinary patrol/traffic/domestic complaints might be better handled by a more local police force, perhaps organized on the "borough" plan. The police forces outside the city don't have the expertise to handle the investigation of serious crimes because they don't it that often. They often have to wait for the State Police or the Sheriff to lend assistance. Sometimes they set up "task forces" to get these diverse police groups to work together, so why not have these units set up full time to cover specific types of crimes through out the county?

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information