Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Our Local Media

Question Our Local Media

Does anyone get the impression lately that the media in WNY has been neutered?

I’m not a constant follower of the media and don’t always agree with what is said but the last few months I get the impression that media outlets (like WGRZ and WBEN) who were quite active in expressing opinions on local politics have been silent lately. Even before the November elections.

In particular WBEN. Bauerle and Beach were constant critics of county politics (I agree, ad nauseum) but even during the November elections were much more quiet than usual giving their opinions. I know Channel 2 had that issue where they weren’t getting press releases from Giambra and Barbara Burns on WBEN used to take a beating from some of the “politically connected” behind the scenes when trying to report political “news”.

Were they “neutered” by Programming Directors/Management or do they just believe that listeners don’t want to hear it?

Quote Originally Posted by Enough

I’m not a constant follower of the media and don’t always agree with what is said but the last few months I get the impression that media outlets (like WGRZ and WBEN) who were quite active in expressing opinions on local politics have been silent lately. Even before the November elections.

In particular WBEN. Bauerle and Beach were constant critics of county politics (I agree, ad nauseum) but even during the November elections were much more quiet than usual giving their opinions. I know Channel 2 had that issue where they weren’t getting press releases from Giambra and Barbara Burns on WBEN used to take a beating from some of the “politically connected” behind the scenes when trying to report political “news”.

Were they “neutered” by Programming Directors/Management or do they just believe that listeners don’t want to hear it?
    There are no sexy issue to exploit anymore. Having Chris Collins as Exec and looking at his actions thus far (reaching across the isle, meeting with Democrats, communitty groups, etc, and even going to Kathy Hochul's swearing in) shows he is truly living up to his word of trying to reform this county and do what is best for the citizens.

That is not an issue the news can run with, they are more interested in making up news stories and exploiting them.

Quote Originally Posted by Enough

I'm not sure, but I'd like to think they have realized we just don't want to hear it anymore. I usually take a peek at the comments on stories just to see if feedback seems negative or positive and I have noticed that stories with negative or exploitational slants seem to gather rather pointed remarks and disappear or get buried pretty quickly.
    And I agree with Mr. Jonson, not much going on lately that they can exploit without being totally obvious.

Quote Originally Posted by cookie
    I'm not sure, but I'd like to think they have realized we just don't want to hear it anymore. I usually take a peek at the comments on stories just to see if feedback seems negative or positive and I have noticed that stories with negative or exploitational slants seem to gather rather pointed remarks and disappear or get buried pretty quickly.
    And I agree with Mr. Jonson, not much going on lately that they can exploit without being totally obvious.
    Rational, thinking listeners are sick and tired of hearing the same hate-talk, constant negativity, propaganda and worn-out talking points.

Two or three months back in "The Buffalo News" "My View" column (in "viewpoints"), someone wrote in how he was sick and tired of hearing "angry talk radio" and that he was going to switch stations;He stopped just short of saying that WBEN was that station he was speaking of.

In addition, WBEN has a great deal of their credibiltiy, backing a "losing horse" (Bush & friends) for nearly eight years of BS and outright lies right out of the neo-con handbook (there IS such a book)

What little origniality WNY conservative stations once had is a whisper of terrorism and what is and isn't "patriotic" or "American"

There is a point when contentious talk show hosts run out of "ammunition" and resort to arguing and screaming about vague, irrelevant things.
    Coincidence is the word we use when we can't see the levers and pulleys.

Emma Bull

Ugh, I can't take any talk radio, liberal or conservative. I'd like to not even listen to, read or watch the News. Not because I want to bury my head in the sand and pretend everything is rosy, but I just don't feel there are many sources that can present it without boxing it up, wrapping it in an agenda and tie with a bow of exploitation.

A Good Story...

How about a story about the ineffectiveness of Erie Inner-Habor Canal Committee? How about a story concerning all the recycled politcians and donors on the board? Whose looking out for our best interests? Way has the slip taken 8 years to build? Just a few idea's....
    Peace Out Funky

Lawsuits

Quote Originally Posted by Velvet Fog
    How about a story about the ineffectiveness of Erie Inner-Habor Canal Committee? How about a story concerning all the recycled politcians and donors on the board? Whose looking out for our best interests? Way has the slip taken 8 years to build? Just a few idea's....
    What about all those lawsuits filed by "preservationists" and others who didn't agree with the plan? How many times has Bass pro been shifted?
    We can NEVER agree on anything here, and all it takes is one or two "civic minded" individuals to hold up a project for years.

Quote Originally Posted by knowsitall
    What about all those lawsuits filed by "preservationists" and others who didn't agree with the plan? How many times has Bass pro been shifted?
    We can NEVER agree on anything here, and all it takes is one or two "civic minded" individuals to hold up a project for years.
    While I agree with you about the preservationists to an extent it can;t be understated who control the inner harbor canal board. Quinn, Rich, Gioia (just left), and many others...All I'm saying is that the media should tell us everything about our esteemed board. Thats what makes sense to me--also expose the ones holding things up. Don;t you find it funny that Quinn was the head of economic development under Griffin? We allknow what he accomplished ---NOTHING...So why put him in charge of the canal project? Do we really need him making decisions on our future? Politics as usual.
    Peace Out Funky

While I agree with you about the preservationists to an extent it can;t be understated who control the inner harbor canal board. Quinn, Rich, Gioia (just left), and many others...All I'm saying is that the media should tell us everything about our esteemed board. Thats what makes sense to me--also expose the ones holding things up. Don;t you find it funny that Quinn was the head of economic development under Griffin? We allknow what he accomplished ---NOTHING...So why put him in charge of the canal project? Do we really need him making decisions on our future? Politics as usual.
    I guess I missed the story about this, but who DID put those people in charge?
    When I read a few stories about this panel/committee/whatever it is, it sounded like they all just got together and decided to make themselves leaders because no one else was.

I couldn't agree with you more.

Buffalo is stuck in time;We're in limbo, going no where fast.

It would take an act of GAWD to break up the old boy's club of WNY!!!

And don't forget the MENSA members who protest tearing down a "historic" bathroom even if it means eventual profit and progress for Buffalo.

Since Buffalo's leaders could care less about changing this region, maybe we should just "accept" that Buffalo will never truly see the light of change

Voting in new blood doesn't seem to help either.

"We're having a grassroots movement in Buffalo politics"
    Funny!

The local conservative media in WNY has NOT been a help. Just noise.

They've ONLY been armchair philosphers;Backseat drivers who's only "talent" is the ability to yell and scream about nothing while sounding important and sincere about WNY's health.

Emma Bull

Ugh, I can't take any talk radio, liberal or conservative. I'd like to not even listen to, read or watch the News. Not because I want to bury my head in the sand and pretend everything is rosy, but I just don't feel there are many sources that can present it without boxing it up, wrapping it in an agenda and tie with a bow of exploitation.
    "Air America" actually has talented talk show hosts.
    Sure, a few are a bit obnoxious, but they tell you to THINK for yourself and do not just YELL into their microphone to get their points across.

Most "Air America" hosts treat their callers with respect and don't screen their calls

I listened to WGR - WBEN for over THIRTY YEARS (truth).

They lost all credibility with me after switching over
    to their neo-con format of childish kicking, yelling and screaming for ratings.

Emma Bull

Quote Originally Posted by Dumbfounded
    "Air America" actually has talented talk show hosts.
    Sure, a few are a bit obnoxious, but they tell you to THINK for yourself and do not just YELL into their microphone to get their points across.

Most "Air America" hosts treat their callers with respect and don't screen their calls

I listened to WGR - WBEN for over THIRTY YEARS (truth).

They lost all credibility with me after switching over
    to their neo-con format of childish kicking, yelling and screaming for ratings.
    How is a sports talk radio station lumped in with WBEN?

Quote Originally Posted by PaulJonson
    How is a sports talk radio station lumped in with WBEN?
    Meant to say that I listened to WGR during the decades they did talk radio and switched to WBEN when THEY began their friendly talk format.

Emma Bull

I guess I missed the story about this, but who DID put those people in charge?
    When I read a few stories about this panel/committee/whatever it is, it sounded like they all just got together and decided to make themselves leaders because no one else was.
    Politicians put them in!
    Peace Out Funky

Politicians put them in!
    You mean like the Common Council (I'll withhold a smart alecky funny on that)?
    The Mayor? The Governor?
    Which politicians? I mean, who specifically?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information