Thread: Child labor laws, the unintended consequences

Child labor laws, the unintended consequences

On another thread some SUWNY were talking about child labor laws. This news report shows the absurdity of the laws.

All this young boy wants to do is play guitar for people but mommy and daddy government seem to think they know better then the child's real mother and father.

"Land of the free" unless you are a 8 year old child that wants to play guitar.
    If you walk around in a forest with your eyes closed you will eventually walk in to a tree.

2 + 2 = 5

Jesus died for your sins I do it for your mere entertainment dollar (Doug Stanhope)

Unregistered
    Interesting.

The eight-year-old can't play guitar in the same nightclub that he can legally drink a beer in.

Welcome to america. You have no rights. Only priveleges

Quote Originally Posted by FMD View Post
    Welcome to america. You have no rights. Only priveleges
    You always have rights you may just not assert your rights or criminal thugs calling themselves government may not recognize your rights.
    If you walk around in a forest with your eyes closed you will eventually walk in to a tree.

2 + 2 = 5

Jesus died for your sins I do it for your mere entertainment dollar (Doug Stanhope)

Yet when you own a buisness you can have your children work untill 11pm while they are in middle school...

Quote Originally Posted by Slim.fsp View Post
    You always have rights you may just not assert your rights or criminal thugs calling themselves government may not recognize your rights.

you must have slept through history.

lets start with Alexander Hamilton convincing Washington to allow the conscription of 13000 troops to put the whiskey rebellion down. a "rebellion" only in that the farmers refused to pay a tax on their only means of barter (the continental was worthless at that point). that was more troops than fought at lexington and concord for both the british and the colonists, and they were used to force tax payment.

how about king lincoln banishing newspaper owners and editors for writing unpleasant things about his administration? his suspension of habeas corpus in maryland, new york, kentucky, and elsewhere.

how about Woodrow Wilson and his assertion to Germany that americans had the right to travel on british and french ships at their leisure but the Germans had no right to shoot the ships the americans were on - and then he had prisoners put on the ships (their lives were worth less)? the relocation camps for germans set up during his administration?

how about the relocation camps for the Japanese during WW2? the increase in taxing of the wealthiest from 40% to 92%?

how about conscription itself?

1) guilty until proven innocent. heard this before? why then are suspects held for days or weeks until trial once charges are brought against them? this violates the 6th amendment.

2) bail. the bail is set by the judge. why is he the single arbiter of justice in this instance? such authority is not granted the judiciary by the constitution. moreover, bail is a monetary method of discriminating against the poor, who have few assets to sacrifice for bail. this violates the 8th and the 5th amendment.

3) conscription. this is a form of slavery. yet it is defended b/c proponents of conscription claim that it is necessary to protect our country. they mean our gov't. this violates the 13th and the 5th amendment. (just so you know, jury duty falls under this as well)

4) income tax preparation. you incriminate yourself when you file income tax papers. moreover you spend your time preparing such documents and are NOT compensated. and if you do not prepare your taxes, you are charged with tax evasion and sentenced to jail. this violates the 5th, 8th, and the 13th amendments.

there are a number of other less significant violations that we endure everyday. but b/c we endure them everyday people like yourself, ignore the violations. if you really have any freedom in this country, guaranteed by the constitution, then where is it? noone is free in this or any other country around the world. not yet. we havent been since 1781. the last time we tried to declare our freedom was 1861. in which King Lincoln responded to the firing on fort sumter (in which NO lives were lost nor injuries sustained) with a full scale invasion of the south which cost more than 600,000 lives of only soldiers. there are untold millions of civilians who died due to his food blockade (starving the people into submission seem like a very nice thing to you?), Sherman's scorched earth policy, and occupation.

So, you were saying about Rights as American Citizens?

How about being labelled by the federal gotv as a 'terrorist' or enemy combatant and losing the little 'rights' we as americans have, over something frivolous or unfounded evidence?

How about detaining you for being in a park, where peaceful protestors tried to escape from riot police, such as what happened in St Paul?

How about having your guns siezed by police not because you made a threat, or because you broke the law, but simply because they feel you COULD be a danger? I know someone who had this happen to them. How about that? Right to due process? HA!

How about the 'freedom of speach'? First Amendment. Under EO' from the president, you call him a loser, you could be held as an enemy of the state!

We as americans live under an ILLUSION of 'rights' The reality is, we have no rights. The reality is, we have no choices. Just look at the incandensent light bulb which is going to be banned from the USSA in 2014, in favor of a mercury filled alternative, but it uses less energy!

People need to wake up.

Quote Originally Posted by geo_wny View Post
    Yet when you own a buisness you can have your children work untill 11pm while they are in middle school...

I know right? I've always wondered about that law???

that being said, my 14 yr old is in the process of getting his working papers - he will find a job!!!!! I dont care if its 6 hours once a week!!!
    Colleen
    Realtor

Visit My Website

Quote Originally Posted by CAugust View Post
    I know right? I've always wondered about that law???

that being said, my 14 yr old is in the process of getting his working papers - he will find a job!!!!! I dont care if its 6 hours once a week!!!
    Doesn't the phrase "working papers" seem a bit tyrannical and fascistic especially in a country that claims to be the "Land of the Free".

2 + 2 = 5

6 hours a week is one thing but i have students who work from the time they get home (or work) to 11pm. That is up to 8 hours a day... I think that is a little to much. typically these students are failing or on the verge..

Thread Information