Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Obama wins Iowa Caucus

Obama wins Iowa Caucus

http://www.cnn.com/2008/POLITICS/01/03/iowa.dems/

Obama wins Iowa as candidate for change

DES MOINES, Iowa (CNN) -- Sen. Barack Obama's victory Thursday in critical Democratic Iowa caucuses indicate voters saw him as a candidate of change, according to entrance polls.

The freshman Illinois senator was CNN's projected winner in the key early step toward the White House, with 38 percent of the vote and 97 percent of precincts reporting.

"On this January night, at this defining moment in history, you have done what the cynics said we couldn't do," Obama told wildly cheering and chanting supporters Thursday night. "We are choosing hope over fear, we are choosing unity over division and sending a powerful message that change is coming to America."

CNN projects that lead will hold over his chief rivals -- former North Carolina Sen. John Edwards with 29.8 percent, and New York Sen. Hillary Clinton, with 29.3 -- with 97 percent of precincts reporting.

With Edwards edging ahead with several friendly precincts yet to report, the possibility was emerging that Clinton -- the front-runner in the months leading up to this year's campaign -- could finish a disappointing third.

"Just over half of Democratic caucus-goers said change was the No. 1 factor they were looking for in a candidate, and 51 percent of those voters chose Barack Obama," said CNN senior political analyst Bill Schneider. "That compares to only 19 percent of 'change' caucus-goers who preferred Clinton."

Twenty percent of Democrats said Clinton's campaign mantra -- experience -- was the most important attribute of a presidential candidate.

At Obama's caucus-night headquarters in Des Moines, the hall filled with people late Thursday in anticipation of the candidate's speech.

The supporters, many of them young, screamed "We did it!"

When vote returns appeared on big television screens, the crowd burst into spontaneous rounds of Obama's campaign chant: "Fired up -- Ready to go!"

Obama campaigned in Iowa as the true agent for change in a field of Democrats hoping to cash in on voter dissatisfaction with President Bush.

He banked heavily on the support of first-time caucus participants and independents, whom pre-caucus polls suggested were responding well to a campaign that included promises to work across party lines if elected.

CNN's entrance polls suggest that message resonated. Younger caucus-goers and those who said they want change gave significant support to Obama.

Fifty-seven percent of poll respondents age 17 to 29 said they supported Obama.

Democratic caucus turnout was much higher than four years ago. "With 93.5 percent of the precincts reporting we are seeing record turnout with 218,000 caucus attendees," said a statement from the state Democratic Party. In 2004, the turnout was about 125,000.

Edwards opened his remarks to supporters Thursday by talking about change.

"The one thing that's clear from the results in Iowa tonight is the status quo lost and change won," Edwards said. Video Watch Edwards vow to keep on fighting »

Obama's victory came despite Clinton's support from EMILY's List, a national group that works to elect female candidates who favor abortion rights. The group contacted 60,000 Iowa women with no history of caucusing and asked them to support Clinton.

The Clinton campaign itself also contacted tens of thousands of Iowans who had never caucused. Most of them were age 50 and above. The campaign set up a "buddy" system to encourage the newcomers to attend caucuses.

Appearing in front of cheering supporters Thursday with her husband, former President Bill Clinton, at her side, Clinton refused to back down.

"I am so ready for the rest of this campaign and I am so ready to lead," she said smiling. Video Watch Clinton's speech after failing to win »

"I have done this work for 35 years, it is the work of my life time," Clinton said. "I have been involved in making it possible for young people to have a better education and for people of all ages to have health care and that transforming work is what we desperately need in our country again."

"I think you could probably look at two things when it comes to Hillary Clinton: One is the sense that she could be very divisive in a general election campaign -- people in Iowa don't seem to want that," said CNN political analyst Gloria Borger. "And secondly, her history question, the Clinton baggage, if you will. There are a lot of voters there who are saying, 'We want to get beyond that.' "

Obama also did well among caucusers with varied issues at the top of their concerns. Thirty-four percent of voters who said their top issue was health care went for Obama, according to entrance polls; 35 percent among those who said the Iraq war was their top issue; 36 percent among those who chose the economy.

Supporters for the Illinois senator included an equal percentage of women and men -- 35 percent each.

David Gergen, a former White House aide under Republican and the Clinton administrations, pointed out that Iowa was not a strong state for Clinton from the start. "The Clintons are nothing if not resilient," he said. "They will fight back. For Barack Obama, this is a personal triumph. For an African-American to go into a state that's 95 percent white and win against Mrs. Clinton is an absolutely remarkable victory."

The caucuses spelled the end for two other senators with White House aspirations. Sen. Joe Biden of Delaware will abandon his bid for the Democratic presidential nomination, three sources told CNN. Biden received 1 percent in the Iowa caucuses.

Democratic Sen. Chris Dodd of Connecticut also will drop out of the race, campaign sources told CNN Thursday. Dodd received less than 1 percent in the Iowa caucuses

Yeah, but sure was close!
    Let me articulate this for you:
    "I'm not locked in here with them. They're locked in here with me!!"
    HipKat's Blog

his speech was brilliant!!!....on to NH......let the miracle continue!!!

Unregistered
    cant see obama winning...but maybe if he does african americans will finally shut up about racism, personally I dont think he has it in him and secondly I dont think this country after George Bush can handle a one issue president

huckabee....I think this was just a case of who middle america and evangelicals felt closer too but will huckabee resonate as we move toward the other regions....I think the coasts are going to lean more towards romney and I hope that no one falls for the perpetuation of Isreali and jewish control over our economics and foreign policy via Guiliani, Leiberman and McCain.

It's still very early, it wouldn't surprise me if neither Obama nor Huckabee end up as their party nominee.

Time will tell.
    If it weren't for the United States Military, there would be NO United States of America !

I believe that Clinton is aligned all too well with the corporate pigs that run our country for her NOT to get elected.
    Peace Out Funky

Quote Originally Posted by Velvet Fog
    I believe that Clinton is aligned all too well with the corporate pigs that run our country for her NOT to get elected.

The way things are playing out, I see Obama and Clinton doing so much damage to each other that a R wins the next election.

With both running on image and perception and not really party power, there is no easy side to take for the Dems.

One thing is for sure, the Republicans sure know to run an election. Running a country is a different story but they are really good at elections.

Quote Originally Posted by leftWNYbecauseofBS
    The way things are playing out, I see Obama and Clinton doing so much damage to each other that a R wins the next election.

With both running on image and perception and not really party power, there is no easy side to take for the Dems.

One thing is for sure, the Republicans sure know to run an election. Running a country is a different story but they are really good at elections.
    I agree--Only the Dem's could screw something up this badly....If Droopy wins then I'm really scared!
    Peace Out Funky

Empress Hillary

Quote Originally Posted by Velvet Fog
    Yep.

I don't care WHAT Hillary's poll rankings are.
    If $1 trillion in government/corporate contracts (during one Presidential term)
    is the difference
    between
    Hillary getting elected

or

Obama (LESS corporate friendly), then Hillary WILL get elected.

We're going to see another 2000 and 2004 stolen election through technology and bribes.

All hail Empress Hillary!!!

Hey! I bet my Mom $50.00 that Hillary is going to be our next President BECAUSE she's sleeping with the corporations that run the show!

Does everyone really think that the monolith American businesses are going to just sit back and say "OK" to LESS profits?

After the TRILLION PLUS $$$ they've (Corporations) made under this illiterate smirking sociopathic anti-Christ inbred Bush and his master, Cheney (Satan)?!

Hillary will be our next President.

Course' I hope I'm wrong, but I've "lost faith" in our voting system.

Even if we go back to paper ballots nationwide.

In the meantime, enjoy the "show" of Democracy in action as the candidates from fight to be the next President of the United States while Hillary waits to be sworn in by Chief Justice John Roberts!!!

Scuse me!

Have to go bring out MORE coffee and sandwiches to the govt dudes in the van in front of the house!
    Hey!!!
    Murdering, fascist sadist voyers are people too you know!!!
    Coincidence is the word we use when we can't see the levers and pulleys.

Emma Bull

Quote Originally Posted by Dumbfounded
    Yep.

I don't care WHAT Hillary's poll rankings are.
    If $1 trillion in government/corporate contracts (during one Presidential term)
    is the difference
    between
    Hillary getting elected

or

Obama (LESS corporate friendly), then Hillary WILL get elected.

We're going to see another 2000 and 2004 stolen election through technology and bribes.

All hail Empress Hillary!!!

Hey! I bet my Mom $50.00 that Hillary is going to be our next President BECAUSE she's sleeping with the corporations that run the show!

Does everyone really think that the monolith American businesses are going to just sit back and say "OK" to LESS profits?

After the TRILLION PLUS $$$ they've (Corporations) made under this illiterate smirking sociopathic anti-Christ inbred Bush and his master, Cheney (Satan)?!

Hillary will be our next President.

Course' I hope I'm wrong, but I've "lost faith" in our voting system.

Even if we go back to paper ballots nationwide.

In the meantime, enjoy the "show" of Democracy in action as the candidates from fight to be the next President of the United States while Hillary waits to be sworn in by Chief Justice John Roberts!!!

Scuse me!

Have to go bring out MORE coffee and sandwiches to the govt dudes in the van in front of the house!
    Hey!!!
    Murdering, fascist sadist voyers are people too you know!!!
    I hope were both wrong but I have a strange feeling she's the next one--unless of course, the repulicans find a bigger whore!
    Peace Out Funky

IMO, Obama needs to keep the momentum moving, if he can take NH he will most likely take SC, Nevada and Florida. Michigan is going Clinton (she needs to hope that carry's over or she's done)

If Obama continues to take the early lead and takes California with some minor states (Illinois, Missouri, Montana, Colorado, etc) on Super Tuesday, he will have won.

I also figure that Edwards will need to stay in the race until then to pull some states away from Hillary.

I don't know if I'd call Hillary a "corporate whore," or whatever that phrase was that someone else here used. I think it's unfair to single her out for what all politicians do, including Obama. I mean, have you looked at Obama's donations?

But Hillary carries too much baggage, much of it just from the Clinton name alone. I have this feeling that the nomination is for Obama's to screw up, and that if he does we get Edwards by default. Not that I would mind. I'm fine with any one of the three. I just want a Dem to be the next president.

Quote Originally Posted by atotaltotalfan2001
    I don't know if I'd call Hillary a "corporate whore," or whatever that phrase was that someone else here used. I think it's unfair to single her out for what all politicians do, including Obama. I mean, have you looked at Obama's donations?

But Hillary carries too much baggage, much of it just from the Clinton name alone. I have this feeling that the nomination is for Obama's to screw up, and that if he does we get Edwards by default. Not that I would mind. I'm fine with any one of the three. I just want a Dem to be the next president.
    No one said Obama is any better but he's not as bad as Whore Clinton thats for sure!

Whoever is or becomes the biggest whore to big business and the true wealthy will win. Is it a conspriacy?--HELL YES! We truly have no choice when it comes to national politics; its an illusion--unfortunately.
    Peace Out Funky

they said last night on CNN that Obama has a record number of individual donors to his campaign.

Something like 1 out of every 300 Americans has donated to Obama's campaign.

I know many many twenty somethings who never cared about politics before who are all fired up and ready to vote for Obama. There is tremendous excitement and momentum for him across the country.

It's the same pattern over and over. It starts off with Hillary leading big, then as soon as people see and hear Obama, he surges and she is left in the dust spewing her same old tired diatribe about "experience"

Washington's record has SUCKED, so don't tell us about your "experience."

The American people want CHANGE, not the same old negative, fear mongering, divisive personal attacks that are the norm in Washington.

We want an AMERICAN president. Hillary would be hated by more than 1/2 of the country and is unelectable in the general election.

Obama appeals to conservatives, Democrats, liberals, and even some republicans. Americans are tired of "red states and blue states" and we want a president who we can be proud of.

Tie to end the Bush/Clinton dynasty.

WE WANT CHANGE!
    The truth from a troll is still the truth.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information