Thread: Lancaster Central School District BOE Organizational meeting

Lancaster Central School District BOE Organizational meeting

At last night’s Board of Education (BOE) organizational meeting re-elected board member Marie MacKay and newly elected board members Robert Szatkowski and Patrick Uhteg were sworn into office.

Following the swearing in of the board members, nominations to elect the president and vice president for the 2011-12 school year were entertained. Board member Ken Graber nominated Dave Zalenski to fill the president position. As no other nomination was forthcoming Mr. Zalenski was elected and sworn into office.

Zalenski nominated Brenda Christopher for the vice president position. Wendy Buchert was nominated by departing BOE president Marie MacKay who chose not to seek either office this year. Ms. Christopher was elected by a 4-3 ballot count.

Newly elected BOE president Dave Zalenski declared he would be remiss to not take the opportunity to welcome aboard the two newly elected board members and to thank them for participating in the process to serve on the board.

Zalenski commended departing president Marie MacKay for joining the ranks of Franklin Roosevelt for being elected to her fourth term. “I would also be remiss if I didn’t offer my personal thanks to Marie for showing the leadership and stewardship that she did over the last two years; the time when I joined forces here. She was a great inspiration to me and helped me whenever I asked and was willing to answer a question, always taking my phone calls. She built a foundation here to lead this district by setting a great example. To Marie we all a debt of gratitude for her leadership last year and for the services she provided for the board beyond that.”

Lancaster Central Teachers Association (union) president Eric Przykuta welcomed the two newly elected board members and the newly elected president and vice president, failing to recognize the re-election of Ms. MacKay and welcoming her back to the BOE. In a tone this individual would consider snarky (for whatever reason) he added that the LCTA was looking forward to working with the realigned BOE. Very unprofessional.

Other

It was announced that a letter had been received from the county stating that the Cemetery Road Bridge would be closed for reconstruction from July 11th to September of this year. Yet there have been town and county announcements that both the Cemetery and Pavement Road Bridges and certain sections of both roads would be closed until September of 2012.

What made his words sound snarky? I have never read anything nice about Lancaster teachers from your posts. Maybe it sounded snarky to someone who just doesn't like the LCTA president and has distinguished the teachers as the enemy.

I have heard many a snarky remark (in my opinion) from the previous BOE president in regards to the LCTA. Nothing got resolved by blaming and finger pointing. I hope the new composition of the BOE allows for collaboration.

It's time to stop bashing the teachers or any other group. I for one am proud to think of Lancaster being a district, a town, which works together to solve problems and do what's right for the children, whether they live in your home or next door.

Bye Bye Birdie;764554
    What made his words sound snarky?
    Were you at the last night’s BOE meeting? If not view the video when it appears on Tuesday afternoons or Thursday evening’s. The LCTA’s slight and snarky tone is quite evident.
    I have never read anything nice about Lancaster teachers from your posts.

Nonsense! I have stated numerous times in posts that I respect teachers for what they do; supported the 2010-11 budget where teacher jobs and programs were saved and supported opposing this year’s budget proposal as a protest vote against higher taxes. Our tax levy increased by 9.6% and taxes increased by 8.78%. Going to a contingency budget would not have affected school staff positions or programs

Maybe it sounded snarky to someone who just doesn't like the LCTA president and has distinguished the teachers as the enemy.
    The teachers are not the enemy. Stop the spin, no one ever professed that. It is my opinion the LCTA (union) did a disservice to the membership.

I have heard many a snarky remark (in my opinion) from the previous BOE president in regards to the LCTA.
    That is your opinion and I respect that. The same can be said when the LCTA and their reps addressed the BOE and attempted at times to negotiate the recent contract in public.

Nothing got resolved by blaming and finger pointing. I hope the new composition of the BOE allows for collaboration.
    We both do!

It's time to stop bashing the teachers or any other group. I for one am proud to think of Lancaster being a district, a town, which works together to solve problems and do what's right for the children, whether they live in your home or next door.
    We are both proud of our school system and want to do what’s in the best interest of the children. Someone should also be looking out for the best interest of the taxpayer as well.

Near $9 million of reserves and fund balance monies were used to help reduce the budget this year. Such reserves and fund balance revenues will not be available next year. The District used $1.7 million in federal stimulus money last year, money that will not be available next year. Yet our taxes went up 8.78% this year.

I don’t hate anyone, I hate paying more in taxes and because we have a dysfunctional State Legislature and a Governor who will punish the taxpayer even more with his phony-baloney tax cap, are you saying taxpayers are expected to sacrifice and sit back and not complain - to simply open up our pocket books and say 'here, take what you want".

Not complain when many taxpayers are paying for District staff salaries and benefits that far exceed their own?

Not complain when they hear 85% of the budget is made up of mandates, many of which are District controlled?

The District commended the LCTA and other unions/administration for making a wage concession that saved the District $1.3 million. Little mention is made of the $2.1 million (15%) increase in benefit costs. Do the math and you will find the LCTA contract comes out pretty good in their favor.

But hey, just ignore the facts, use the “you hate teachers” spin, or better yet, “it’s for the kids.”

I was at the board meeting and don't believe any remark was "snarky". The only reason your making mention of this is because your insider Marie got bumped from her position (Unprofessional eh?)

I'm so glad I won't have to listen to her sad sob stories anymore when she speaks. She'll go down as one of the most incompetent and useless BOE presidents ever! Thank the lord for my childrens future that she is not leading the way!

Finally - Lee - admit your hate for teachers because for every time you say you support teachers, you then go on one of your negative, tape recorded rants. Are you confused with your decision making / writings, or are your meds wearing off?

Quote Originally Posted by captainobvious View Post
    I was at the board meeting and don't believe any remark was "snarky". The only reason your making mention of this is because your insider Marie got bumped from her position (Unprofessional eh?)

I'm so glad I won't have to listen to her sad sob stories anymore when she speaks. She'll go down as one of the most incompetent and useless BOE presidents ever! Thank the lord for my childrens future that she is not leading the way!

Finally - Lee - admit your hate for teachers because for every time you say you support teachers, you then go on one of your negative, tape recorded rants. Are you confused with your decision making / writings, or are your meds wearing off?
    Ah, you have me at a disadvantage in that I do not know from where you are coming from. I would hope that you would identify yourself, not by name as you would never do that, but at least tell me if you are:

• A teacher?
    • An administrator?
    • A Board of Education member?
    • A teacher who sits on the BOE?
    • A former BOE member?

If you have the courage to respond "yes" to any of the above, then I will respond back to you - even your "snarky" last statement.

A Civil Engineer, Parent, Resident, & of course Tax payer.

Quote Originally Posted by captainobvious View Post
    A Civil Engineer, Parent, Resident, & of course Tax payer.
    Okay, so then you have no connection to the school district or BOE; or so you claim. That seems strange considering there were only three residents who were present when the LCTA president made his comments at the recent BOE meeting and I would hazard to guess none of them fit your description.

Regardless, I will comment on what you stated in your previous post:

• Marie MacKay is my friend.
    • Marie MacKay did not run for the president or vice-president position this year. She did not get bumped as you claim.
    • As for your saying Marie will go done as one of the most incompetent and useless presidents ever, that is simply your mean-spirited opinion. She supported the last two budgets where teachers jobs were saved and where there were no cut in programs. She serves on many BOE committees, is active in school programs and is very charitable.
    • Whereas Marie supported this year’s budget, I opposed it and believed the district should have gone right to a contingency budget. Had they done so, teachers jobs and program would not have been affected.
    • While you appear to be okay with a 8.78% percent school tax rate increase, I am not. My opposing the teacher contract negotiation had nothing to do with hating teachers – and you know that. But when you have no facts, sling mud. That’s typical of people like you who would close your post with such scurrilous remarks.

An educated professional Civil Engineer lacking civility is an oxymoron. Once again I have to believe there is some connection with the LCTA union, BOE, or teacher’s influence as Marie, as president, was the target during the union contract negotiations and was disliked and undermined by a few BOE members.

Thread Information