Thread: Bflo Poverty Landscape VS BMHA's $36.5 mil apts

Unregistered

Bflo Poverty Landscape VS BMHA's $36.5 mil apts

The Landscape of Poverty in Buffalo VS BMHA's $36.5 mil apts ($160K each)

This video link was forwarded to me by WS PUSH-Buffalo organizer Eric Walker.

It dramatizes the utter injustice of BMHA's proposed $160,000 apartments for predominantly single elderly persons, as so many in Bflo daily live in third world conditions.

Ironically, this Eastside poetry-tour is on the same video as the glitzy outdoor New Years Day hockey extravaganza . . . attended by few, if any, from these neighborhoods.

Subj: AP Video link

Ntare AliGault, age 40, a poet & spoken word artist reads from his poem "In This Life" during a video tour of some of the City's worst poverty.

http://video.ap.org/v/Legacy.aspx?g=...nybue&fg=email

Unregistered

Poverty Vs "Poverty Industry"

The thoughtful discussion of poverty & rising cost of living on another thread has been good to see.

I hope there can also be more discussion of the massive "Poverty Industry" the exploits Bflo's ever increasing poverty. It is dramaticlly illustrated by BMHA's (Bflo Housing Authority) current proposal to build a $36.5 million "elderly complex" costing about $180,000 (not $160K as I erroneously posted above) each for one-person apartments.

I have been sickened as a social worker to have watched for almost 20 years as $100's of millions wastefully & corruptly flowed thru BMHA. Meanwhile poverty in Bflo steadily deepened, now giving Bflo the shameful ranking of 2nd poorest US city.

I urge readers to watch the video below, as they reflect on $180,000 one-person "welfare apartments" for "the poorest of the poor".

BMHA spends about half of the city's poverty housing funds on less than 10% of the city's poor, while keeping them in costly permanent dependency.

It is an outrage.

This video link was forwarded to me by WS PUSH-Buffalo organizer Eric Walker.

It dramatizes the utter injustice of BMHA's proposed $160,000 apartments for predominantly single elderly persons, as so many in Bflo daily live in third world conditions.

Ironically, this Eastside poetry-tour is on the same video as the glitzy outdoor New Years Day hockey extravaganza . . . attended by few, if any, from these neighborhoods.

AP Video link

Ntare AliGault, age 40, a poet & spoken word artist reads from his poem "In This Life" during a video tour of some of the City's worst poverty.

http://video.ap.org/v/Legacy.aspx?g=...nybue&fg=email

That's so ugly to see, kern.

First of all, I believe the people in those neighborhoods have to start wanting to help themselves. Alot of people, and I include myself in this catagory, who own homes, lack the knowledge of some repair skills. I am thankful for a couple of friends who I can call upon for advice on things to help me do the work myself. My teenage girls help me with cutting the lawn, cleaning the garage, spliting wood and carrying it in to the house so we have heat. They have to start taking pride in their homes which will lead to taking pride of the neighboorhood. A mentor program could be started in the schools to show teenagers how to do simple repairs and maintainence work around the house. It takes alot of work to keep a house up. You drive down those streets and you see the lawns aren't even cut. Garbage is left all over the place.

Clarence also demands that before you graduate from high school you have to earn 30 some hours of community service....and they are very very strict. If you don't have those hours in....you DON'T graduate. Does the Buffalo school system have anything like that? Get the people involved in helping themselves.

If there is a vacant lot...turn it into a community garden. Grow some vegtables, plants, trees. Hard work, but rewarding.

Now There's An Idea

Quote Originally Posted by MAD BLUE BIRD
    First of all, I believe the people in those neighborhoods have to start wanting to help themselves. Alot of people, and I include myself in this catagory, who own homes, lack the knowledge of some repair skills. I am thankful for a couple of friends who I can call upon for advice on things to help me do the work myself. My teenage girls help me with cutting the lawn, cleaning the garage, spliting wood and carrying it in to the house so we have heat. They have to start taking pride in their homes which will lead to taking pride of the neighboorhood. A mentor program could be started in the schools to show teenagers how to do simple repairs and maintainence work around the house. It takes alot of work to keep a house up. You drive down those streets and you see the lawns aren't even cut. Garbage is left all over the place.

Clarence also demands that before you graduate from high school you have to earn 30 some hours of community service....and they are very very strict. If you don't have those hours in....you DON'T graduate. Does the Buffalo school system have anything like that? Get the people involved in helping themselves.

If there is a vacant lot...turn it into a community garden. Grow some vegtables, plants, trees. Hard work, but rewarding.
    VERY GOOD IDEA...many children today come from public housing or parent(s) rent. Some basic skills would probably go a long way!

Thread Information