Thread: Friendship Town Board Fires Police Dept

Friendship Town Board Fires Police Dept

http://www.wellsvilledaily.com/homepage/x1295919454

Former Chief/Officer-in-charge Dennis Brennan

The Friendship Town Board unanimously terminated its former officer-in-charge and another officer Wednesday night, effective immediately.
    Let go following an executive session to discuss police personnel were Dennis Brennan, who led the department from early November until he was suspended without pay during an emergency meeting of the town board Dec. 7. The board also terminated Officer James Ward.
    On Dec. 7, two men driving a car with plates registered to the town of Friendship went through at least one red light with lights and sirens in Niagara County to return to a military base where Brennan was conducting training. Brennan was at the base at the time.
    The audience of roughly 30 people was given time to address the board before the board’s decision.
    “We’re going to limit this,” said Town Supervisor Larry Riehle. “We’ve got too much business tonight and I want to get it over with.”
    The board came out of executive session at about 8:10 p.m. The motions to terminate Brennan and Ward were made by board member Gary Taylor and seconded by Thomas Burch.
    Afterwards, Brennan, who did not speak on his own behalf during the meeting, shook hands with the people who had come to support him. He did not elaborate on how he would respond to the board’s decision.
    “I’m keeping my options open,” he said.
    During the comment time, Nate Newman, a member of the Army 402nd Civil Affairs Battalion in Buffalo, said he has trained under Brennan several times a year for three years.
    Newman said he has trained during four courses Brennan teaches as an instructor for the Peace Officer Training Academy. According to its Web site, the academy has offered instruction to about 60 agencies, not including private security agencies.
    “I want to express my concern for Chief Brennan,” Newman said. “Chief Brennan has a wealth of experience and a wealth of knowledge. I strongly encourage the town board to take that into consideration when they decide his fate.”
    Another member of the 402nd at Wednesday’s meeting who spoke on Brennan’s behalf was Staff Sgt. Jerrod Trulin. Newman said he and Trulin were not speaking on behalf of the Army, but had permission to speak on behalf of the 402nd.
    Lisa Trowbridge, who attended the meeting with her father, Richard Carney Sr., said she was born in Friendship and has lived there for 33 years. She said the board should focus on the good Brennan has done.
    “I work here, I raise a family here,” she said. “Please act as a united town, not as individuals. Please keep that in mind. I love this town.
    “As a business person, I have had a lot of dealings with him and he’s been nothing but professional,” she added.
    Ernest LaPlante, chief of Buffalo Special Police, a division of the Buffalo Police Department, attended the meeting but did not speak. Earlier Wednesday, he said he felt the incident was blown out of proportion by Niagara County.
    “That’s a slap on the hand. That’s not something to fire someone over,” LaPlante said. “I have a lot of respect for Dennis Brennan. He would make that department outstanding compared to other departments.
    “He’s been my training officer for the last eight years. He’s trained every one of my men and he’s done an excellent job. I feel that if Friendship lets him go, they’re losing an excellent trainer and officer.”
    LaPlante said Brennan should have been allowed to handle the incident in-house, the same contention Brennan made.
    “I feel Friendship’s going to lose a perfect officer and a perfect officer-in-charge,” LaPlante said. “When my men screw up, I discipline them. I don’t go to the Common Council.”
    Friendship Police Officer Frank Schostick told those gathered and the board that he would be willing to answer any questions concerning the Dec. 7 incident. He emphasized that he and Officer Anthony Bartucca were not involved in it. He said he saw Niagara County Sheriff’s Department personnel pull up to the range and speak to the two officers in the car registered to Friendship.
    “I was on the range and saw everything that happened and everything that happened in front of me,” Schostick said. “I’m willing to discuss it.”

Not too long ago, a SUWNY poster from the Olean area posted an article about Friendship's new Chief of Police and his grand plans for the department. That post seems to have disappeared, and this is a follow-up.
    With a population of 3000, why can't the Town contract the Sheriffs Department for police services?

Sounds to me like Niagara sould be spelled H.A.Z.Z.A.R.D

Using red lights and sirens to get to training class at the NF Air Base seems somewhat inappropriate. Going to Horton's on the other hand...

More hooteriffic behavior form the Buffalo Special Police gang!!!!
    I made a lot of money and spent most of it on booze, fast cars and loose women. I blew the rest.

It wasn't Buffalo...Friendship is quite a distance.

However, the glowing comments made by LaPlante, I hope that Brennan doesn't end up here.

BRAVO to the Town Board of Friendship! It's a very, very small step...but this is what I mean when I speak of accountability.
    But your being a dick
    ~Wnyresident

There's more to this story than the Wellsville paper is alluding to.

He was a Bflo Special P.O., ECSD Reserve Deputy, security guard. These positions carry no power of arrest beyond that of the average citizen.

Currently, there's doubt if he, or any of his officers ever received the NYS Certification that is required to be a police officer. I can only imagine the liability involved for the Town of Friendship if they knowingly or otherwise appointed an untrained, non-certified police department. Any ticket issued, or arrest made by a non-certified police officer would be null and void.

(photo from Gatehouse News Service)
    Last edited by ChaneysGotaGun; January 5th, 2008 at 12:04 PM.

Thread Information