Thread: BUFFALO: Hot Spot of the next Decade

Cool BUFFALO: Hot Spot of the next Decade

From the buffalo news....

Buffalo a future hot spot? Surely, it's a joke.

Not to Richard Florida, the creative class guru who puts us second on his latest list of up and coming cities.

Florida is the brains behind the creative class approach to economic growth and prosperity. His theory is that cities with lots of creative people - artists, scientists, engineers and others - tend to thrive.

OK, and where does Buffalo fit in?

Florida, now a professor at George Mason University, is out with a list of cities that he thinks will be among the creative centers of the country 10 years from now. And yes, Buffalo is No. 2, right behind Oakland and just ahead of Baltimore.

Before you laugh too loudly, keep in mind Florida's theory was recently named one of the top breakthrough ideas of 2004 by the Harvard Business Review.

Oh, to dream....

Re: BUFFALO: Hot Spot of the next Decade

Originally posted by 300miles
    University, is out with a list of cities that he thinks will be among the creative centers of the country 10 years from now. And yes, Buffalo is No. 2, right behind Oakland and just ahead of Baltimore.

If creativity comes out of suffering,m Buffalo has certainly given us enough. What happens when Buffalo becomes cultural and prosperous? Do people suffer less and then we become less creative?

moadib

NOT TO FAR FROM THE TRUTH!

RICHARD FLORIDA MAY BELIEVE THAT BUFFALO IS THE BOOM CITY OF THE NEXT DECADE.....

BUT BUFFALO WAS PREDICTED TO BE THE NEXT BOOM CITY OF THE NEXT DECADE BY MONEY MAGAZINE TOO

BUFFALO HAS ALSO BEEN WELL REPRESENTED IN EXPANSION MAGAZINE AS:
    1) BEING IN THE TOP 40 BEST CITIES TO EXPAND A BUSINESS
    2) BEING IN THE TOP 10 CITIES TO EXPAND A LOGISTICS BASED BUSINESS: IMPORT/EXPORT, TRANSPORATION, INTERMODAL TRANSFER, WAREHOUSE/DISTRIBUTION, PACKAGING, AND GENERAL LOGISTICS.

DO I THINK BUFFALO WILL BE THE NEXT LA, SAN FANCISCO, SEATTLE, BOSTON, DC, ATLANTA, DALLAS, ETC. ABSOLUTELY NOT.

BUT BUFFALO I DO BELIEVE THAT BUFFALO WILL BOOM AND BUFFALO WILL BOOM INTO BEING AN EXCELLENT MEDIUM TO LARGE CITY.

ALL THE BUILDING HAPPENING IN BUFFALO IS DEFINITELY A REFLECTION OF HOW FAR BEHIND BUFFALO HAS FALLEN AND HOW MUCH ROOM THERE IS FOR NEW CONSTRUCTION....60% OF BUFFALO IS EMPTY AND THE ENTIRE NATION IS EXPERIENCING A REAL ESTATE BOOM. BUFFALO IS A LOW RISK CITY TO BUILD FROM THE PERSPECTIVE OF OVER-VALUED CITIES ACROSS THE COUNTRY....BUFFALO IS SERIOUSLY UNDER BUILT AND UNDER-VALUED AND THAT MEANS LOW RISK.....ITS JUST TO LOCALS WHO HAVE LIVED IN DEPRESSION LIKE ENVIRONMENT THAT CONTINUES TO PURCEIVE OUR ENVIRONMENT AS HIGH RISK.

THE REAL QUESTION IS HOW MUCH WE WILL OBSTRUCT AND SCREW UP THE GIFTS THAT DO COME OUR WAY, LIKE ALLOWING THE NFTA TO CONTINUE TO SIT ON THE OUTER HARBOR, FAILING TO EXTEND OUR LIGHT RAIL, FAILING TO RE-INVEST AND REBUILD OUR PORTS, OUR RAIL OUR BRIDGES AND INFRASTRUCTURE, AS WELL AS, OVER TAX AND OVER REGULATE THOSE WHO DO WANT TO INVEST.

Re: Re: BUFFALO: Hot Spot of the next Decade

Originally posted by georged
    Do people suffer less and then we become less creative?
    Ask Red Sox fans. What are they gonna do now?
    They're just another team.
    They've lost their identity.

stevenco
    Our elected officials here in Buffalo will find a way to squander the opportunites that present themselves in the next ten years.
    They are the worst. Until City Hall is purged, we are doomed. Can Masiello read?

Originally posted by stevenco
    Our elected officials here in Buffalo will find a way to squander the opportunites that present themselves in the next ten years.
    They are the worst. Until City Hall is purged, we are doomed. Can Masiello read?
    My guess is that with his 6th grade education, he may be able to make out words of less than 4 letters....
    Where is Bessy and her Lantern?

Re: BUFFALO: Hot Spot of the next Decade

Originally posted by 300miles

Buffalo a future hot spot? Surely, it's a joke.

Not to Richard Florida, the creative class guru who puts us second on his latest list of up and coming cities.

Florida is the brains behind the creative class approach to economic growth and prosperity. His theory is that cities with lots of creative people - artists, scientists, engineers and others - tend to thrive.

OK, and where does Buffalo fit in?

Florida, now a professor at George Mason University, is out with a list of cities that he thinks will be among the creative centers of the country 10 years from now. And yes, Buffalo is No. 2, right behind Oakland and just ahead of Baltimore.

Before you laugh too loudly, keep in mind Florida's theory was recently named one of the top breakthrough ideas of 2004 by the Harvard Business Review.
    I think Florida needs to put the crack pipe down now. Buffalo a hot spot. He must mean from fire created by county government. Or Creative as in Creative Bookkeeping. And Oakland -- as in Oakland California . I hope not. I wonder if he ever has actually been to the "City across the Bay". PLEASE .. I have. I had clients there - they are not creative by any means.

Thanks for sharing ...that was really quite entertaining

hmmm...I don't know any creative people in Florida.

Seatle was the birth of Grunge music, how are they doin?

They spend less time on local politics
    Just the way it should be

oops that was Tx

Buffalo

I believe our city will become a GREAT city. Its just run by a bunch of idiots! Lets see come election time how many idiots get back into office, that will tell if Buffalo grows.

Have faith - we live here and I know there are a lot of great potential leaders, we just need to find them.

Cant go down much farther

Sure we are going to be a hot spot .growth means we are hot and as bad as our area is now how can it get worse. Improvement of any kind could make us look hot. compared to our present condition
    One good thing about growing old is your secrets are safe with your friends they can't remember them either

Re: Buffalo

Originally posted by cabb5560
    I believe our city will become a GREAT city. Its just run by a bunch of idiots! Lets see come election time how many idiots get back into office, that will tell if Buffalo grows.

Have faith - we live here and I know there are a lot of great potential leaders, we just need to find them.
    I agree, totally!

I think Buffalo has made tremendous strides the pas three years.

The voters approved a restructuring of our Common Council. That has resulted in a degree of sanity totally lacking in the prior body (which would have been declared DOA by any competent MD).

The voters elected as the top financial guy someone with experience. Over a very accomplished vote-getter with no experience.

I emphasized voter, because the people as a whole have a great deal of common sense. If only it could be tapped more often.

Moadib-you've said repeatedly that Buffalo is 60% empty. What do you mean by that.

IMO-Buffalo has way to large an infrastructure for the poplulation it is likely to have any time in the future. When are we going to get rid of the empty homes and factories.

Buffalo gets $18 million in federal block grant funds every year. It uses a lot of it to fund make work community centers and other worthless "human service" organizations. What do they have to show for thirty years and hundreds of millions in these funds?

The News two weeks ago said that the feds might abolish the block grant program.

If you're an average, tax-paying, private sector citizen (there are some of us), would you even notice the difference?

Thread Information