Thread: What About those United Way Mailers!!!

What About those United Way Mailers!!!

I cannot believe this one... United Way is expanding its breeding efforts on mailing circuit

It is bad enough they invade you by having the mandatory attended work spiel now they are invading you at home too via mail! I received a mailing the other day asking for donations by them. I was appalled…

First, United Way has been involved in a few scandals.. The boat load of mula is very attempting…..

Second, they tend to spend money lavishly on rewards and speaking engagements. They have Annual luncheons for all there working bees at very nice restaurants. I thought the whole idea was to obtain as much donations that go towards the cause… Silly me…. I will have another order of surf and turf please and don’t over cook the lobster this time….

Third, was this mailing really necessary??? I mean.. It costs money to make up the mailing, print the mailing, mail the mailing, and then handle the receipt of the mailing for those who elect to donate……. It is funny you could even donate stocks now I cannot see this… In fact I think I am going to return the card with a note saying I welcome donations too.

Quote Originally Posted by concernedwnyer
    I cannot believe this one... United Way is expanding its breeding efforts on mailing circuit

It is bad enough they invade you by having the mandatory attended work spiel now they are invading you at home too via mail! I received a mailing the other day asking for donations by them. I was appalled…

First, United Way has been involved in a few scandals.. The boat load of mula is very attempting…..

Second, they tend to spend money lavishly on rewards and speaking engagements. They have Annual luncheons for all there working bees at very nice restaurants. I thought the whole idea was to obtain as much donations that go towards the cause… Silly me…. I will have another order of surf and turf please and don’t over cook the lobster this time….

Third, was this mailing really necessary??? I mean.. It costs money to make up the mailing, print the mailing, mail the mailing, and then handle the receipt of the mailing for those who elect to donate……. It is funny you could even donate stocks now I cannot see this… In fact I think I am going to return the card with a note saying I welcome donations too.

When I get the non-sense at work and give me the "donation" card with my name nicely affixed to it I rip it up right in front of the presenters face.
    Peace Out Funky

I have drastically changed my donation philosophy over the years. If there is a third party involved that gets a cut, no donation. I believe in helping others and am generous by nature, but that does not include a nice "retreat" or luncheon or cruise for professional fund raisers.

I used to have to go to those mandatory United Way spiels at my other job. One day I said, "why aren't other charities also allowed to come here and make mandatory presentations?" I never got a good answer on that. We had to fill out the card, whether we donated or not, believe me, those of us who filled in "0" under donation were put through a further sales pitch, and talked to like we were evil for not donating. Finally, I had to say flat out, "no, I am not giving them any money, get off my back." My mom just had to sit through a presentation at her work, and she said they were told by management that everyone was "strongly encouraged" to donate. She gave them $10 right out. I would not have done it just because I hate theiir strong arm tactics. I donate to charities generously. The charities I believe in. United Way is not one of them.
    Chaos, Panic, Disorder, my work here is done!

Thread Information