Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: anonymous...yea or nay???

anonymous...yea or nay???

i'm so tired of kern and wrona crying every day about anonymous posters...how do you feel about it??
    res..how do you feel about it???
    my name has been used in a post(s),so i don't feel as if i'm posting anonymously and would absolutely use my name if it was mandated.
    but kern and wrona seem to think there's something wrong with it and i,for one,am tired of it.

can we get the issue on the table and maybe end the kern/wrona rants once and for all??

We've been here eight million times. If someone wants to use a psydoneum, instead of their real name, so be it. All we're asking is that everyone act in a civilized manner.

In todays society do you want your name pasted all over the internet? You don't know what kinda freak is on here or what they will do.

The messenger is not as important as the message.

Quote Originally Posted by Enough
    In todays society do you want your name pasted all over the internet? You don't know what kinda freak is on here or what they will do.

The messenger is not as important as the message.

Agreed. Totally.

I understand that many of us may equate anonymous user names with "cowardice" or "hiding" when posting controversial, insulting or very offensive posts, however, the anonnymity of most users gives them/us more freedom to express our beliefs as MOST of us would very self-concious using our real names.

We're not journalists or any local media celebs that have to sign our real names to "officiate" each and every post we write.

Before this thread, I never even NOTICED that some members were USING their true names!

I was and still am concerned ONLY with the content of the message, although some user names are kind of cool, weird and unique.

Why is this non-issue an issue?
    Coincidence is the word we use when we can't see the levers and pulleys.

Emma Bull

I can't help it if my mom named me OneEmerald.
    Adopt an English Springer Spaniel.
    http://www.springerrescue.org
    "Striving to be the person
    that my dogs think I am"

www.BuffaloReUse.org

If you take away anonymity, you will end up killing this board.
    For those who can only deal with people by knowing their exact identity, take it "private".

Quote Originally Posted by bigpoppapuff
    i'm so tired of kern and wrona crying every day about anonymous posters...how do you feel about it??
    res..how do you feel about it???
    my name has been used in a post(s),so i don't feel as if i'm posting anonymously and would absolutely use my name if it was mandated.
    but kern and wrona seem to think there's something wrong with it and i,for one,am tired of it.

can we get the issue on the table and maybe end the kern/wrona rants once and for all??
    I don't think it would be an issue at all if posters were civilized. Using the cover of anonymity to start flame wars, to pollute once-interesting threads with personal insults etc., is the problem. Hopefully, that will calm down soon.

OK - if you insist. My name is John Jane Incognito.

If I used my own name, it would severely curtail my political commentary.

Tony Fracasso - Admin
    We've been here six million times. If someone wants to use a psydoneum, instead of their real name, so be it. All we're asking is that everyone act in a civilized manner. There have been a few posters who posted some items up that I questioned. For the most part they have pm'd/emailed me back exactly who they are and how they knew.

I have no issue with it as long as if I ask who or how do you know this or that they tell me.

Quote Originally Posted by WNYresident
    We've been here six million times. If someone wants to use a psydoneum, instead of their real name, so be it. All we're asking is that everyone act in a civilized manner. There have been a few posters who posted some items up that I questioned. For the most part they have pm'd/emailed me back exactly who they are and how they knew.

I have no issue with it as long as if I ask who or how do you know this or that they tell me.
    kern stated:
    It is a bit troubling when cops (anonymously) don't care about public corruption . . . or about a DA (mandated to prosecte public corruption & white collar crime) who very often protects it.

kern stated:

then how about having kern STOP with his questioning everyone about THEIR screen names (and wrona)??......
    The ignore button is a useful tool.

There is not one single message board, covering one single topic, in one single place in the entire flippin' world where people use their real names over "screen names."

Never has been. Never will be. It's a stupid waste of time to even try and insist that people use their real names.

The internet is responsible for the most identity theft, fraudulant behavior, and criminal activity in the history of the modern world, and nobody should be expected to put themselves out there in a virtual world where you'll make yourself completely defenseless.

Where your posts on a message board can be used against you, if the situation arises, because you made a statement that was taken or used out of context by someone that wants to hurt you or your career in some cases.
    Let me articulate this for you:
    "I'm not locked in here with them. They're locked in here with me!!"
    HipKat's Blog

Quote Originally Posted by atotaltotalfan2001
    The ignore button is a useful tool.
    The ignore button is for prissies and fruitcakes.

i bet if the people who use their real names had an opportunity to re-register with anonymous screen names - they would jump at the chance, except for those like kern and JO who like to keep their names out there.

In the spirit of free speech, right?
    One beautiful thing about having a government of the corporations, by the corporations, and for the corporations is that every disaster is measured in terms of economic loss. It's sort of like getting your arm sheared off in a car accident and thinking, "Damn, now it'll take longer to fold the laundry" as blood spurts from your arteries. - The Rude Pundit

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information